Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abecedario

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Hello guys, I am about to get an ipad mini (white one, because of the scuffs on black models) and it seems we are not sure about what screen does it bring. I'm mostly asking because I had a Nexus 7 (really really good tablet I must say, too bad it came with some light bleed) and after a week using it some tiny scratches appeared on the screen, really hard to see but still pissed me off because I was extremely careful with it, for this reason I would like to know what's the situation here, I don't want surprises. So, those brave enough to keep your ipads naked, whats your experience so far?

PD: I'd be even happy if it brought the same glass than the iphone 3gs, I still got mine somewhere around here and its screen remains flawless.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
i only put case on my Ipad 2. Screen seems really thick and sturdy to me so i leave it naked.

I dont know about the feel of Ipad mini so wait for others to comment.

nephlin

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
I've cracked so many devices that my answer to a screen protector is always yes. You can buy them relatively cheap and even one crazy accident is totally worth it.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I've cracked so many devices that my answer to a screen protector is always yes. You can buy them relatively cheap and even one crazy accident is totally worth it.

i seriously do not think screen protector will save your divice if you dropped it. It might help preventing scratches in some case.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Your screen can still crack with a screen protector, it's nice to have but not necessary by any means.

Abecedario

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Your screen can still crack with a screen protector, it's nice to have but not necessary by any means.
Well, I gotta say I'm more worried about scratches than cracks since I find it harder to drop it if you are careful, on the other hand for a little scratch to appear it only takes a speck of dust harder than the screen (if the screen is good this shouldn't be an issue, but since we are not 100% sure...)

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Well, I gotta say I'm more worried about scratches than cracks since I find it harder to drop it if you are careful, on the other hand for a little scratch to appear it only takes a speck of dust harder than the screen (if the screen is good this shouldn't be an issue, but since we are not 100% sure...)

I'm VERY careful but my mini slipped out from under my arm and the VERY thin screen shattered and the mini was in a tough leather case/stand. The genius was shocked -- SHOCKED -- at how thin it was and even got tiny slivers of glass in his finger as he was slipping it out of its case. Its definitely not gorilla glass, more like stiff cellophane. Be wary. I now have a second one -- gotten free through credit card points, but thats the only way i'd get one after that screen experience. I wouldnt pay $329 plus tax as i dont think its yet ready for action. I'm not sure how the mini will hold up over time because of its extreme light weight and thinness compared to my ipad 3 or even my nexus 7.

Rad-o

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
If you are talking about scratches , no you dont . See scratch test videos on youtube , even with razor blades they dont scratch .

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I dont have a screen protector on any of my devices. A screen protector won't protect the device if dropped though - just against scratches.

Though my iPad 4 has a smart cover and a belkin thin case on the back. iPad 1 is naked though!

iPhone 5 is naked and my work iPhone 4 has a case but only because it was issued by work for free. Might still use it without.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
There are only 2 opinions, i.e., screen protectors are needed and they are not, and you've heard both of them. What more do you need to know?

Abecedario

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
There are only 2 opinions, i.e., screen protectors are needed and they are not, and you've heard both of them. What more do you need to know?
Right, Sherlock.

Read the thread again and then read the answers, I basically wanna hear the experience of those who have been using the ipad mini for some time without a screen protector. If you see that let me know because I haven't. Maybe I'm missing something here.

And indeed I'm talking about scratches.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I use one for a couple of reasons.
It does provide a modicum of protection but mostly because fingerprints show up less with my ghost armor and also to preserve the olephobic coating. I've had it worn through on one of my iPhones before so now I want to protect that for the future.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Right, Sherlock.

Read the thread again and then read the answers, I basically wanna hear the experience of those who have been using the ipad mini for some time without a screen protector. If you see that let me know because I haven't. Maybe I'm missing something here.

And indeed I'm talking about scratches.

OK, Watson. I don't use screen protectors on any of my iDevices, which includes several iPhones (currently using an i5) and several iPads (currently 2 Minis, iPad2 and iPad3). However, I do not hold the devices up to a light source multiple times a day, looking for reflections from scratches.

Mini screen protectors wont be any different than screen protectors on any other device. Do they work? Of course they do. Would the device have been scratched without a screen protector? No one knows.

Abecedario

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
OK, Watson. I don't use screen protectors on any of my iDevices, which includes several iPhones (currently using an i5) and several iPads (currently 2 Minis, iPad2 and iPad3). However, I do not hold the devices up to a light source multiple times a day, looking for reflections from scratches.

Mini screen protectors wont be any different than screen protectors on any other device. Do they work? Of course they do. Would the device have been scratched without a screen protector? No one knows.
I must say I'm a little dissappointed, Sherlock. It seems you are losing your understanding skills. I never said anything about the quality of the protectors, I was basically asking about the screen's resistance, this is why I was only interested in the opinions of those who keep their ipads mini naked.

Anyway, there's no need to apologize. I know you are trying hard.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Screen protector, is it necessary for the ipad mini?
Subjective matter -- just as it is with any other device.

So, those brave enough to keep your ipads naked, whats your experience so far?
It's going to vary from person to person. Some won't experience any scratches. Some will have minor scratches. Some will have major scratches. The experiences of other random people means nothing with regard to what your experience will be like.

You need to take whatever steps you are willing to deal with if you're concerned about scratches. No matter how scratch resistant something is, scratch resistant does not mean unscratchable. Again, this applies to any device out there.

on the other hand for a little scratch to appear it only takes a speck of dust harder than the screen (if the screen is good this shouldn't be an issue, but since we are not 100% sure...)
It has nothing to do with whether the screen is "good" or not and everything to do with whether or not the material sliding against the screen is harder (as you yourself stated).

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I must say I'm a little dissappointed, Sherlock. It seems you are losing your understanding skills. I never said anything about the quality of the protectors, I was basically asking about the screen's resistance, this is why I was only interested in the opinions of those who keep their ipads mini naked.

Anyway, there's no need to apologize. I know you are trying hard.

I clearly said I do not use screen protectors, I.e., naked to use a term you are familiar with
I clearly said I own 2 Minis
No scratches.

If you weren't trying so hard, and failing miserably, to be witty, you would have noticed I answered your question. Don't worry, you'll catch on to this ask a question, get an answer concept eventually.

Remember, count how many people use screen protectors, count how many do not before making your decision. Advice from strangers on the Internet is always the best source of information for people unable to decide on their own.

Abecedario

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Subjective matter -- just as it is with any other device.

It's going to vary from person to person. Some won't experience any scratches. Some will have minor scratches. Some will have major scratches. The experiences of other random people means nothing with regard to what your experience will be like.

You need to take whatever steps you are willing to deal with if you're concerned about scratches. No matter how scratch resistant something is, scratch resistant does not mean unscratchable. Again, this applies to any device out there.

It has nothing to do with whether the screen is "good" or not and everything to do with whether or not the material sliding against the screen is harder (as you yourself stated).
The better the screen is the harder it will be to find a material able to scratch it. Basic logic.

I clearly said I do not use screen protectors, I.e., naked to use a term you are familiar with
I clearly said I own 2 Minis
No scratches.

If you weren't trying so hard, and failing miserably, to be witty, you would have noticed I answered your question. Don't worry, you'll catch on to this ask a question, get an answer concept eventually.

Remember, count how many people use screen protectors, count how many do not before making your decision. Advice from strangers on the Internet is always the best source of information for people unable to decide on their own.
As I said before, you don't have to justify yourself. I know you meant well.

I just find it kind of sad that such a simple topic outsmarted you this bad.

TjeuV

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
Belgium
I'm never putting any of my devices in a case because I believe in the way products are manufactured and if there's a case needed, they would already come in a case. You ruin the beauty of a iPad mini or let's say an iPhone by putting an ugly, thickening case around it.

Therefor the only thing I do is apply a screen protector on it, no cheap stuff but something that's decent like the Zagg shield. I'm still carrying my iPad mini with me, wherever I go and still, no scratches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.