Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:01 PM   #1
whsbuss
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SE Penna.
Gmail ActiveSync going away

According to iMore.com:

http://www.imore.com/google-dropping...y-imap-service

So I guess Google, forcing more of a wall between them and Apple, is forcing us to use their Gmail.app - yuck! The iOS mail.app does not support push for IMAP which means delayed gmail.

Okay then. I may have to just use my Hotmail or Outlook account after the dust settles. DAMN Google!
whsbuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:15 PM   #2
reckless2k2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I just saw this too and noticed that the account I switched over per Google instructions does not Push.

This is annoying.

I'm wondering if I should go back to the Exchange setup until it bombs or if some "fix" will come out in the next month once the whole thing shuts down.
__________________
Not sent from my iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad.
reckless2k2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:32 PM   #3
whsbuss
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SE Penna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless2k2 View Post
I just saw this too and noticed that the account I switched over per Google instructions does not Push.

This is annoying.

I'm wondering if I should go back to the Exchange setup until it bombs or if some "fix" will come out in the next month once the whole thing shuts down.
According to the article, current users will be grandfathered(?) so go back to exchange or you won't get it after Jan. 2013.

----------

Here's an article on TheVerge.... has some additional info.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/14/3...l-calendar-and
whsbuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Afbar1114
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
i am confused on this...does this mean they way i have this set up in exchange will go away?
__________________
MBP 13", 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD in Optical bay|iPad mini| 2TB Time Capsule| iPhone 5s 32GB| AppleTV
Afbar1114 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:41 PM   #5
whsbuss
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SE Penna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afbar1114 View Post
i am confused on this...does this mean they way i have this set up in exchange will go away?
If you have your gmail account setup as exchange currently, you will be grand fathered. But new accounts and new devices after 1/30/13 will no longer be able to use exchange.
whsbuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:43 PM   #6
Afbar1114
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
If you have your gmail account setup as exchange currently, you will be grand fathered. But new accounts and new devices after 1/30/13 will no longer be able to use exchange.
ok and what if i need to restore my phone? if i restore from iCloud will it still be there?


does anyone use iCloud email?
__________________
MBP 13", 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD in Optical bay|iPad mini| 2TB Time Capsule| iPhone 5s 32GB| AppleTV

Last edited by Afbar1114; Dec 14, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Afbar1114 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:48 PM   #7
whsbuss
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SE Penna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afbar1114 View Post
ok and what if i need to restore my phone? if i restore from iCloud will it still be there?
I would assume so but not sure. Read TheVerge article and the link to Google's explanation near the bottom.
whsbuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:12 PM   #8
tann
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nottingham, England
Hopefully restoring doesn't destroy this, cause I should be able to keep it forever then I assume!
__________________
2013 13" MacBook Air i5/8GB/256GB || Silver 64GB iPhone 6 || 32GB Cellular Silver iPad rMini!
Follow me on Twitter!
tann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:17 PM   #9
sammich
macrumors 601
 
sammich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sarcasmville.
Do accounts on a free Google apps for domain get to keep it too?
sammich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:32 PM   #10
whsbuss
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SE Penna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammich View Post
Do accounts on a free Google apps for domain get to keep it too?
Don't think so. Check TheVerge article near the bottom. There's a link to Google which explains the changes.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tann View Post
Hopefully restoring doesn't destroy this, cause I should be able to keep it forever then I assume!
From what I read, restoring to a new device after 1/30/13 may not work. We will soon find out. I've tried the Gmail app just released but I'm not fond of it.

Cons so far:

- default notification sound is soft and short. Needs option to select a different/installed alert tone on the device.
- no embedded way to set a calendar event from the mail body like in the native mail app.
whsbuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:35 PM   #11
irod87
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I like having all my accounts through the mail app. I use exchange for my gmail. Guess its good ill be grandfathered in.
irod87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:36 PM   #12
whsbuss
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SE Penna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irod87 View Post
I like having all my accounts through the mail app. I use exchange for my gmail. Guess its good ill be grandfathered in.
Me too. That's why I posted here. Get it now before you can't.
whsbuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:59 PM   #13
Truckondo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
That blows. So if I get a iPhone 5 or 5s in the future, how will I access my gmail from the stock mail client?
Truckondo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:05 PM   #14
cyks
macrumors 68020
 
cyks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Westchester County, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckondo View Post
That blows. So if I get a iPhone 5 or 5s in the future, how will I access my gmail from the stock mail client?
You still will be able to check it via fetch instead of it being pushed.
cyks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:48 AM   #15
vistadude
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Most people are not using gmail through exchange because it's not the default setup. Most people won't even notice the difference. Gmail through imap and pop will still work.
vistadude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:52 AM   #16
HankHowdy
macrumors 68020
 
HankHowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Victorville CA
Just sync calendar and contacts like this. Thumb resize.

They are just making it more difficult. You just have to add the contacts and calendar like as separate accounts and then you can sync forever.
__________________
"It just works."

Last edited by annk; Dec 17, 2012 at 05:42 AM. Reason: timg tags
HankHowdy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:30 AM   #17
whsbuss
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SE Penna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistadude View Post
Most people are not using gmail through exchange because it's not the default setup. Most people won't even notice the difference. Gmail through imap and pop will still work.
Yeah that's true. Most people see Gmail in the setup and choose that. I hate waiting up to 15 minutes to get email. If/when I am refused exchange setup, I'll have to keep the Gmail app setup just for the notification. Then open the native mail app and d/l the gmail stuff. Wow - this will suck!!
whsbuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:35 AM   #18
snappyfool
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Is there an open standard for push email? Should there be one?
snappyfool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:13 AM   #19
BlaqkAudio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappyfool View Post
Is there an open standard for push email? Should there be one?
IMAP IDLE. Gmail supports it, but iOS's Mail app doesn't, that's why you have to setup Gmail as an Exchange account to have push. Supposedly, IDLE support is left out because Jobs said it's a "power hog."
__________________
2011 15" Macbook Pro, 2.0 GHz i7 (10.10 PB 4); 64 GB VZW iPhone 6 (8.0.2); 32 GB iPad mini Wi-Fi (8.0.2)
BlaqkAudio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:30 AM   #20
metsjetsfan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
IMAP IDLE. Gmail supports it, but iOS's Mail app doesn't, that's why you have to setup Gmail as an Exchange account to have push. Supposedly, IDLE support is left out because Jobs said it's a "power hog."
hopefully there will be a fix and they offer push somehow yet the "grandfather" thing does sound odd and very unclear
metsjetsfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:59 AM   #21
Rigby
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
IMAP IDLE. Gmail supports it, but iOS's Mail app doesn't, that's why you have to setup Gmail as an Exchange account to have push. Supposedly, IDLE support is left out because Jobs said it's a "power hog."
Well, he was mostly right about that. It was not originally intended for mobile use and is not well optimized for it. It also does not support calendars and contacts (and CalDAV and CardDAV by themselves do not support push either).

There is no open standard for push mail. Some people in the IETF proposed one a few years ago, but it never went beyond draft status (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ma...nade-p-imap-12).

But I guess Google's move has little to do with technical considerations, but is mostly about nudging non-paying customers towards using their Gmail app, so they can later start displaying ads in the app and monetize the service.
Rigby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:25 AM   #22
HankHowdy
macrumors 68020
 
HankHowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Victorville CA
All of our current gmail accounts will still have sync with exchange. We don't have to use the gmail app if we don't want to. This only applies to brand new accounts created in 2013. Google is just trying to make it tougher for iOS users with gmail from 2013 and on. Even new accounts will be able to sync, it will just be tougher to set up is all.
__________________
"It just works."
HankHowdy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:36 AM   #23
cruisencode
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankHowdy View Post
All of our current gmail accounts will still have sync with exchange. We don't have to use the gmail app if we don't want to. This only applies to brand new accounts created in 2013. Google is just trying to make it tougher for iOS users with gmail from 2013 and on. Even new accounts will be able to sync, it will just be tougher to set up is all.
I thought existing devices were grandfathered, not existing accounts? The way I read it, when you upgrade your device, you're screwed.
cruisencode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:37 AM   #24
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040
 
Dwalls90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Saw this today ... it sucks! I've had gmail push for years on my iOS devices, so if this goes away I'm going to be pissed! There seems to be no clear answer on grandfathering yet either.

Either way, I will NOT resort to the Gmail App. I have 1-2 other email accounts I use and I'm not going to have two apps for email alone. So hopefully this is ironed out soon.
__________________
rMBP 4850HQ & iPhone 6
Dwalls90 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:43 AM   #25
cruisencode
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Saw this today ... it sucks! I've had gmail push for years on my iOS devices, so if this goes away I'm going to be pissed! There seems to be no clear answer on grandfathering yet either.

Either way, I will NOT resort to the Gmail App. I have 1-2 other email accounts I use and I'm not going to have two apps for email alone. So hopefully this is ironed out soon.
Well, here is what the actual blog post from Google says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google
Starting January 30, 2013, consumers won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync; however, existing Google Sync connections will continue to function.
cruisencode is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airmail Activesync config for outlook.com? randian Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Mar 15, 2014 04:39 AM
Activesync on Bootcamp jessiev Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 0 Dec 5, 2013 03:59 PM
Gmail ActiveSync Push Lagging? BrianBaughn iOS 6 3 Mar 4, 2013 04:31 PM
ActiveSync Issue sayyed.aleem iOS 6 0 Feb 7, 2013 06:24 PM
ActiveSync Issue sayyed.aleem iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Feb 7, 2013 06:18 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC