Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yantheman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Last night i spilt half a glass of water on my desk and went back to bed. It had not spilt directly on my mac which was on the same table.

This morning however, i noticed that some water had seeped underneath my macbook but assumed that wouldn't be a problem. When i tried to turn on my macbook the display was flickering for about 5 minutes straight until it went back to normal and i assumed there was no problem.

Few minutes later the screen is pitch white but i know the actual computer is still on, i just can't see it. What should i do? I turned it off

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Last night i spilt half a glass of water on my desk and went back to bed. It had not spilt directly on my mac which was on the same table.

This morning however, i noticed that some water had seeped underneath my macbook but assumed that wouldn't be a problem. When i tried to turn on my macbook the display was flickering for about 5 minutes straight until it went back to normal and i assumed there was no problem.

Few minutes later the screen is pitch white but i know the actual computer is still on, i just can't see it. What should i do? I turned it off

Which model of Macbook? If it has a removable battery then you should remove it and remove all power from the unit. Ideally you should open up the Macbook and examine the interior for signs of where the water has seeped in and, if there is any corrosion started then clean with isopropyl alcohol. It is a good thing this is just water because it should not leave a residue that would need to be cleaned.

Main thing... get power off and let it sit long enough for everything to dry thoroughly. Hopefully the fault disappears when the water dries. Give it a day or two.

Last edited by a moderator:

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Take the battery out - if applicable.

Remove the hard drive.

Place the Macbook open in a 'tent' position so any water drains away from the machine.

Let the machine sit in a warm environment. If you have an airing cupboard this will be ideal.

Do not touch the machine for at least 3 days.

When it is completely dry, try and power the machine on.

If it does not start then use isopropyl alcohol to clean around any areas where the water damage indicators have indicated damp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.