Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A..J

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Hello, I am very new to Mac.

I am considering to do "R" parallel computing with new mac minis via Pooch.

Does anyone know whether current version Pooch 1.8.3 is working on Mountain Lion?

Pooch homepage seems not actively managed. They do not reply to my question.

Thanks ahead for your help.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: xgrid...

Hi A..J,

...not a solution, just a comment...

Yeah, I used to use Xgrid for parallelizing certain calculations before Apple, in their infinite wisdom, decided to do away with Xgrid in ML... Now I'm back to using an "in-house" system, ported from Linux. I don't have a clue why Apple took down Xgrid, it used to be a major selling point for their servers. I guess they just did not want to keep up with the times and support it any longer.

Let us know if you find a good third-party solution...there are a bunch out there, I just don't have experience with them.

Switon

Last edited:

A..J

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Hi switon

Thanks for your comment.

I even cannot use Xgrid because it looks like it is not possible to install old version of OS other than ML in new mac series.

By the way, I installed Demo version of Pooch 1.8.3 on ML, I found that it's not working neither.

I think I have to wait until they update the version.

Hi A..J,

...not a solution, just a comment...

Yeah, I used to use Xgrid for parallelizing certain calculations before Apple, in their infinite wisdom, decided to do away with Xgrid in ML... Now I'm back to using an "in-house" system, ported from Linux. I don't have a clue why Apple took down Xgrid, it used to be a major selling point for their servers. I guess they just did not want to keep up with the times and support it any longer.

Let us know if you find a good third-party solution...there are a bunch out there, I just don't have experience with them.

Switon

A..J

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Today I got an e-mail from the Developer saying that Pooch for ML is coming soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.