Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pastormac1usa

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
Just left the Rockaway store. Was there at 7:01. By 7:08 the first purchase had been made by a customer; a 27" iMac. Much cheering by both employees & guests. As a steady visitor since the '04 opening, Retail finally got it right with the expanded space. The old space was not much more than a broom closet and really made it difficult for a quality buying experience.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012

No kidding, it's a cult! Hong Kong youngsters are rich!

There are so many red T-shirt workers in the opening. Is it staged? Are they all full-time Apple employees?

When I bought my new 2012 iMAc the first hour available in my local Apple store. I saw no customers line up outside. People inside the store are middle-aged, just checking the Apple products. The Apple workers did not cheer me up, they just said thank you after I paid the bill. I did not get a beautiful Apple plastic bag because the iMac box is too big to fit in. Overall it's not an exciting shopping experience, I feel that I was shopping at super market.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Folks, here's my live coverage from today: http://blog.henry.im/post/37902924866/live-stream-of-apples-hysan-place-store-opening

I was doing a story for the Shanghaiist. Lots of fun!

Nice!

It's good Hong Kong finally has real Apple Stores. Before they would have kiosks like we do in Best Buy, but if you wanted a repair, I had to go to a sullen authorized repair place hidden somewhere in an office building. It looked like a large doctors room with rows of chairs except it was eerily quiet. When it was your turn you just sat at desk and told your computer problems in front of all the other customers who were facing you. It was awkward and funny at the same time.

They charged me $70 US to just check my computer. When I picked up my computer the next day they couldn't do anything about it which is fine, but they just read back what I told them verbatim and there was no sign of activity on my computer, so I'm pretty sure they didn't even check my computer.

When I got back to Canada, Apple replaced my logic board and bottom case for free 2 months after warranty. That's the difference between an authorized repairer and a real Apple Store.

lanceh5

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2007
The Apple store in Reno needs to be replaced. It is too small with many shoppers. A busy crowded store.

trunten

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
It looks like every other Apple store in every shopping mall in every city everywhere.

Meh.

Really? Most shopping mall store are duller than this imo.

edit. eg:

Attachments

• stdavids2_hero.jpg
    stdavids2_hero.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Nice!

It's good Hong Kong finally has real Apple Stores. Before they would have kiosks like we do in Best Buy, but if you wanted a repair, I had to go to a sullen authorized repair place hidden somewhere in an office building. It looked like a large doctors room with rows of chairs except it was eerily quiet. When it was your turn you just sat at desk and told your computer problems in front of all the other customers who were facing you. It was awkward and funny at the same time.

They charged me $70 US to just check my computer. When I picked up my computer the next day they couldn't do anything about it which is fine, but they just read back what I told them verbatim and there was no sign of activity on my computer, so I'm pretty sure they didn't even check my computer.

When I got back to Canada, Apple replaced my logic board and bottom case for free 2 months after warranty. That's the difference between an authorized repairer and a real Apple Store.
Hong Kong has 3 Apple Stores now. The first one is in IFC, and then Festival Walk (a shopping mall with a lot of mainland Chinese)

cryingrobot

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Apple over expands its retail outlets in Hong Kong. It's a gambling.

Hong Kong is a small city with very good subway system. It does not need two giant Apple flagship stores which locate in the very expensive downtown area. The rent is very very expensive.

For that size of store area, I would rather run a department store for Italian fasions, because Apple does not have a big product portfolio. It is a waste to use the store for an Apple classroom or for people killing time during lunch hour.

Another thing, I'm not sure if Apple authorized dealers in Hong Kong would be happy about Apple is eating their lunch.

It is close to their other store and Kowloon would have been a better place but Causeway Bay is one of the premier retail locations in the world. Its currently supporting by my count a half dozen resellers in walking distance. Its a better location than the IFC store.

I have no sympathy for the resellers. They wont display the new models even when they are in stock so people will buy the old line.

zhenlek

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
I know Apple is very rich, it can buy or rent all the business properties in Hong Kong downtown financial district. But wasting money is not a good business practice.

Or maybe Apple should open a store in a rundown Hong Kong ghetto infested with street thugs...

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The central Apple image doesn't seem to have the "bite" out of it, but the reflection to the right does....

Odd lighting.

It may be wrong Photoshop work :D

My picture is fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2330.JPG
    IMG_2330.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Yes, they all look like Apple stores.

That's "branding".

This one in particularly looks like the Sydney store in terms of the size, shape, layout and facade. Obviously they all look alike, especially the smaller ones in malls, but I think there's an uncanny similarity here between two large flagships.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.