Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjz88

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
theSeb: Do you have any experience with mixing RAM from different brands? What might happen if you mix let's say the Apple CL11 RAM with the Crucial CL11 RAM? I hope nothing fatal because I think I'm going to take the risk.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
theSeb: Do you have any experience with mixing RAM from different brands? What might happen if you mix let's say the Apple CL11 RAM with the Crucial CL11 RAM? I hope nothing fatal because I think I'm going to take the risk.

Nothing fatal at all. It might simply not work. So the computer might not boot or you may only see half of the capacity. These things are not 100% this way or that way and hence why I use the word "might". In all likelihood it should work, but it does not always work hence why I always include a disclaimer. But to be more specific, there is a higher chance of it working than not working.

burninggarlic

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Nothing fatal at all. It might simply not work. So the computer might not boot or you may only see half of the capacity. These things are not 100% this way or that way and hence why I use the word "might". In all likelihood it should work, but it does not always work hence why I always include a disclaimer. But to be more specific, there is a higher chance of it working than not working.

That can also really depend on the micron memory modules manufactory.
If the microns come from the same vendor, I would say the brand of RAM does not matter that much.

dryice589

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
If someone is replacing their RAM and has the stock RAM sitting around. PM me.

Last edited:

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
I am undecided on returning it , or just buying another 16gb as this ram is better than the stock, better timings etc.)
I think I'm better off trying to get the same ram as Apple used (Hynix) if I can though.

Yes the stock ram was CL11, just like the one posted in the picture earlier.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
No. You only need that RAM if you're planning to add it to the stock RAM. And even then mixing different brands is not a good idea. Buy the RAM that you can afford that meets these specifications:

PC3-12800
(1600) DDR3
204-pin
SO-DIMM

It's best to buy the same sticks from the same manufacturer. 1600 MHz CL9 RAM will be faster than 1600 MHz CL10 RAM which will be faster than 1600 MHz CL11 RAM.

The really interesting question is how will the motherboard handle 1866 MHz CL10 RAM.

----------

You're looking fine, but you could have bought faster RAM. Real world difference? Not something that you would really notice.

Are you referring to latency or actual MHz? Isn't it 1600mhz?

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Can I ask a possibly dumb question on this?

If the faster RAM is 1600mhz CL10 and the Apple RAM is 1600Mhz CL11, why does the clock speed drop to 1333Mhz in this situation?

I'd have expected the faster RAM to fit in with the slower speeds of the CL11 RAM :confused:

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I will buy someone's apple RAM that they have replaced. PM me.

Strictly speaking, MacRumors frowns on buying and selling on their forum. They probably don't want to get stuck in the middle of a bad deal, or be overrun with Creigslist type adds. That said, people maxing out their machines could PM me too. Can't get a 16GB upgrade past my accountant (wife) after spending $2800 on the computer, but I can do 8G on the side! :D

----------

If the faster RAM is 1600mhz CL10 and the Apple RAM is 1600Mhz CL11, why does the clock speed drop to 1333Mhz in this situation?

I'd have expected the faster RAM to fit in with the slower speeds of the CL11 RAM :confused:

I would guess because they are mismatched types, and that messes with the chipset's clock speed. theSeb would know better than me. It might be where those chips can synchronize with each other. Greatest Common Denominator so to speak.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Apple doesn't manufacture ram, so it will be ram from one of the major vendors. It could be Crucial ram. Apple claims they test it to spec, and I haven't seen bad stock ram out of the box. With anything I purchase off the net, I test prior to any real computing. It's just safer that way, regardless of what brand you purchase.

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
That's the confusing part though...... Both memory types have the same clock speed of 1600mhz, so why would a faster stick of ram (CL wise) slow the clock speed down to 1333 ?

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
----------

[/COLOR]

Edit:

It will work just fine.

Checked ifixit website. 21.5 ram is CL11. Assuming for now same us true for 27. Those with Crucial ram upgrade should be good to go.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2544+Teardown/11936/3
Thanks Seb, guys so this is C11 and would definitely not underclock with apples RAM right? I'm just double checking as I've bought the wrong memory already. I anybody has it and can confirm please do so.

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-1...8&qid=1355597000&sr=1-2&keywords=Crucial+16gb

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
That crucial ram looks to be ok with the apple ram. I would purchase crucial ram from crucials website if u can ( cheaper and direct from source).

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
That crucial ram looks to be ok with the apple ram. I would purchase crucial ram from crucials website if u can ( cheaper and direct from source).

Yeah, the thing is I'm doing a return from my Corsair and used a gift card via amazon. I just hope I can use the one linked above with apples RAM and they can run at 1600Mhz together. Seb and you have said it'd work so I'm taking your guys word. :p

dryice589

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Strictly speaking, MacRumors frowns on buying and selling on their forum. They probably don't want to get stuck in the middle of a bad deal, or be overrun with Creigslist type adds.

Sorry, new here. I edited my post. Thanks for letting me know.

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012

Are you running the crucial and apple ram together?

Has anyone else given the crucial and apple together a go?

sjz88

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Are you running the crucial and apple ram together?

Has anyone else given the crucial and apple together a go?

I'm sure many people have in the past since it's been recommended here several times.
If you can wait until monday/tuesdays I will report to you first hand how it works in the new iMac.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006

Actually, I should have included this in my first post, but there is a section specifically for contacting others about buying/selling/trading. I had forgotten about it, as the general rules of the forum discourage it. This way, they can also limit it to one specific spot on the site.

Marketplace is here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/132/

I went ahead and made a thread for this purpose:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1508457/

Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Apple doesn't manufacture ram, so it will be ram from one of the major vendors. It could be Crucial ram. Apple claims they test it to spec, and I haven't seen bad stock ram out of the box. With anything I purchase off the net, I test prior to any real computing. It's just safer that way, regardless of what brand you purchase.

Apple normally uses RAM made by Hynix, but Crucial claims that Apple uses their memory as well...

Crucial is a subsidiary of Micron so it uses Micron memory.

----------

Thanks Seb, guys so this is C11 and would definitely not underclock with apples RAM right? I'm just double checking as I've bought the wrong memory already. I anybody has it and can confirm please do so.

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-1...8&qid=1355597000&sr=1-2&keywords=Crucial+16gb

Yep, that should be fine in terms of all sticks running at the same frequency (but please don't forget all of my disclaimers :) )

----------

Are you referring to latency or actual MHz? Isn't it 1600mhz?
Sorry mate. I am not following you here.

----------

bflowers has basically explained it already.

RAM cannot run at different frequencies and CL. So everything has to drop to something common. 1600 MHz CL10 can normally run at 1333 MHz CL9. We already know that Apple's (Hynix) RAM can run at 1333 MHz CL9. That is the common ground between them and hence why the thread starter is seeing 1333 MHz when he put in all of the different sticks together.

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal

I think I'm going to pull and sell the apple ram and drop the Corsair CL10 sticks in for 16gb. I'll wait for ddr1600 ram to drop back down in price. Before iMac release it was running around $60.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Apple normally uses RAM made by Hynix, but Crucial claims that Apple uses their memory as well...

Crucial is a subsidiary of Micron so it uses Micron memory.

I know Micron owns Crucial. I just haven't seen any ram with Micron branding in a long time. I don't know if they still sell any under their own name. Apple rebrands whatever they're using, but I didn't know they primarily used Hynix.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I know Micron owns Crucial. I just haven't seen any ram with Micron branding in a long time. I don't know if they still sell any under their own name. Apple rebrands whatever they're using, but I didn't know they primarily used Hynix.
They tend to sell directly to OEMs and phone makers. I am not sure if they even sell anything branded as Micron directly to consumers, since Crucial is apparently "Micron's memory upgrade division".

There was a time when they used Samsung a lot, but ever since they got into a fight with each other over rounded icons and swiping, Apple has been moving away to Hynix.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Thanks Seb for confirming the Crucial RAM should work. I think im going to get this return process going and back goes the Corsair. If anybody gets the Crucial before me and pairs it with Apples factory ram post here on your results.

studiojackson

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
ram not installed in sequence but staggered.

Good to know. Either way, I'd love to know what's going on here since I'm going to be using this very RAM in my soon-to-be-delivered iMac.

Ny 27 arrived today. When I popped the back (after reading this thread) I expected to see either the top or bottom slots filled. They were staggered.
I just added the memory to the open slots.
Went from 16 to 32 G All humming at 1600 MHz
Good luck.
OWC memory used

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.