Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:09 PM   #701
rnutter
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Fee Waived

Went to the online chat as other suggested. Went with the basic text of getting the fee waived. Here is the result of the chat -

"Alright, I have reviewed your account and since you are in good standing with us with good payment history, I will give you a 1 time courtesy standard fee waiver. Just to let you know. Future fee waiver will not be granted."

I did one thing just to keep a record of what was agreed to - I had the chat window send me an email with the entire chat exchange. Good to have a backup in case something doesnt go as planned.

Thanks to those that figured out this process. The $36 is ADP (Added Dealer Profit) since the upgrade/migrate was done by the apple store rep in just a couple of minutes.
rnutter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:43 AM   #702
barnetda
macrumors regular

Just got the $36 refunded.

Basically did what was suggested on here via live chat.
Rep was very efficient and gave me a "One time Courtesy fee refund".

Received refund of $43.50 incl tax.

thanks very much !
barnetda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:43 PM   #703
Carla748
macrumors member

Worked for me tonight- received a credit of $36 to my bill. Thanks!
Carla748 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:10 PM   #704
jackwills
macrumors regular

upgrade fee got waived yesterday via chatting with a rep online! Thanks you!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:48 PM   #705
kallyq
macrumors regular

Worked for me
kallyq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:29 AM   #706
playaproved
macrumors member

Worked for me two nights ago.
playaproved is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:17 AM   #707
BMNB1tch
macrumors regular

Hello.
Does this work when the phone is bought in-store as well?

Thank you.

EDIT: AT&T store, that is.
BMNB1tch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:28 AM   #708
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMNB1tch View Post
Hello.
Does this work when the phone is bought in-store as well?

Thank you.

EDIT: AT&T store, that is.
doesn't matter where you bought it from... if you are told that there is an upgrade fee/see it on your bill you can get it waived
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:57 PM   #709
journeymaid
macrumors newbie

Fee Waived

I bought my iPhone from Apple and activated it at the Apple Store. Just got my $36 fee waived via chat, but did have to ask twice.

Rep explained why the fee existed:
"I can explain this fee to you. The upgrade fee is to allow us to assist customers with recommending new equipment, offering special offers and discounts, providing assistance with the upgrade process if needed, and supporting the returns process within 14 days. These specialized processes help us to ensure you are satisfied with your new equipment, and are ready to use it the day you receive it. The upgrade fee allows us to defray some of these additional service costs."
So I said:
"I understand that. But I haven't needed any assistance from AT&T since I already understand the process, and I also did everything at the Apple Store. I would like the fee removed. I've been a loyal customer and always pay my bill on time. You can check that."
She checked my account and told me she would waive the fee as a one-time courtesy. I got a text message with my new adjusted balance.

Thanks everyone!
journeymaid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:19 PM   #710
Chocolatemilty
macrumors 6502

My mother ordered a 4S for my sister for Christmas, and I was able to get the fee waived online, but not without some pushback. Had to let them know I know of long-standing customers getting it waived, and that our accounts go as far back at the Airtouch days in 1994 through multiple mergers. They quickly waived it after that.

It works! If you get any pushback, use those talking points, y'all!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:31 PM   #711
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

I called them and got it waived. When I ordered my Note 2 she actually volunteered to waive it for me, the other time was after I bought an iPhone 5 for a family member I called and had them waive it.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:47 AM   #712
newone757
macrumors regular

in chat now. Rep is waiving two fees as we speak. Super easy, one sentence and then she says she is taking care of it now. Awesome

Havent even been with ATT for two years yet either
newone757 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:46 AM   #713
NYDiplomat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymaid View Post
I bought my iPhone from Apple and activated it at the Apple Store. Just got my $36 fee waived via chat, but did have to ask twice.

Rep explained why the fee existed:
"I can explain this fee to you. The upgrade fee is to allow us to assist customers with recommending new equipment, offering special offers and discounts, providing assistance with the upgrade process if needed, and supporting the returns process within 14 days. These specialized processes help us to ensure you are satisfied with your new equipment, and are ready to use it the day you receive it. The upgrade fee allows us to defray some of these additional service costs."
So I said:
"I understand that. But I haven't needed any assistance from AT&T since I already understand the process, and I also did everything at the Apple Store. I would like the fee removed. I've been a loyal customer and always pay my bill on time. You can check that."
She checked my account and told me she would waive the fee as a one-time courtesy. I got a text message with my new adjusted balance.

Thanks everyone!
I had to go this route. Thanks, journeymaid for the copy and paste material.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:22 AM   #714
randy98mtu
macrumors 65816

I did this again yesterday. I have gotten 5 out of 6 upgrade fees waived since iPhone 5 came out. I have 7 lines on my mobile share. Yesterday I was told they could only waive 2 out of 3 that I had on my bill last month. Better than nothing. I have been a customer since 1999 and have a FAN account.
randy98mtu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:54 PM   #715
And1ss
macrumors 6502a

Mmm maybe I'll try to get my fee waived once I get around to upgrading my own iPhone.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:58 PM   #716
cheezeit
macrumors 6502

Upgrade fee waived - CHECK
push upgrade up by one year - CHECK
Get free family messaging ($30) for 6 months - CHECK

So far so good AT&T
cheezeit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:46 PM   #717
jmcrutch
macrumors regular

Just used Chat to get the $36 refunded. I bought my iPhone 5 the weekend it was released (for pre-order). I got the same canned response others have mentioned along with the credit.

In my case, the canned response about "purpose" was followed up shortly thereafter with the statement that the CSR would credit my account, so let the Chat assistant have time to deliver before responding. I was about to argue the point and was glad that I hadn't hit the send button yet.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:09 PM   #718
vidro3
macrumors newbie

so have most people been getting the fee waived after the phone has been ordered or before?

The online chat just told me they can't waive it until it has been assessed. But once it is on there an I'm locked into a 2yr contract why would they remove it?

This is different than the previous chats I've had where they said they cannot remove the fee.
vidro3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:00 PM   #719
jr98664
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidro3 View Post
The online chat just told me they can't waive it until it has been assessed. But once it is on there an I'm locked into a 2yr contract why would they remove it?
Did you wait until your next bill with the fee added on?

I got my bill this morning and already had my fee waived.

It took me two chat representatives. The first guy, Kyle Hewitt would not waive the fee. The second woman, Marie Kathlyn Parks, quickly waived the fee when I mentioned being a customer for the better part of a decade.
This is what she told me:
Quote:
I coordinated with my supervisor and based on your account information, we will be crediting this upgrade fee as a one time courtesy.
jr98664 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:27 AM   #720
moldy lunchbox
macrumors 6502

Happy to say I tried this today and worked. I bought my phone on January 1st so my newest bill hasn't came yet, but the chat representative took off the upgrade fee

btw this is been one of the most helpful threads I've seen on MacRumors in awhile haha
moldy lunchbox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:32 PM   #721
hamsterpie
macrumors newbie

Cool the threatening route

I think I got unlucky, I got a rude chatter and had to threaten my way to get the discount.

Went like this:

ME: Good afternoon. I recently signed a 2 year contract extension and upgraded to a new phones. I was hoping I could have my upgrade fee waived or credited to my account

Raquel (AGENT): The upgrade fee is to allow us to assist customers with recommending new equipment, offering special offers and discounts, providing assistance with the upgrade process if needed, and supporting the returns process within 14 days. These specialized processes help us to ensure you are satisfied with your new equipment, and are ready to use it the day you receive it. The upgrade fee allows us to defray some of these additional service costs.

ME: I have not had to use any assistance from ATT and did the upgrades myself. I am also a long time customer and have not had these fees in the past.

( this agent continues to banter me for a few minutes about the upgrade)

(AGENT): Now if you don't want to pay the $36 upgrade fee, you can get a phone with a full price without contract.

ME: ok you are very rude. I will call the corporate.

AGENT: Mrs._____, I understand that you want to waive it also since other customers has been credited.

ME: Is there a number, I can talk to your manager

AGENT: But I just want to let you know why AT&T charge you for $36 upgrade fee.

ME: Is there a number

AGENT: I can waive those fees as one time courtesy.

TA DAAAAAAAA. Thanks OP.
hamsterpie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:11 PM   #722
caderousse
macrumors newbie

Thanks for this! Just had my fee waived. She didn't want to do it at first, but I brought up my good history of on time payments and she said "One time and one time only "

I said woohoo!
caderousse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:55 PM   #723
hauntedcity
macrumors member

Just worked for me, too. Thanks to everyone who paved the way.

I must admit though, that this fee really bugs me. Why should I pay THEM for the privilege of keeping me as a customer???
hauntedcity is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:44 PM   #724
drummingcraig
macrumors 6502a

Angry No luck on 2nd attempt.

Had no problems getting the fee waived when I upgraded my phone back in November. Unfortunately, when I tried to get the fee waived for my wife's upgrade yesterday I got no love. The agent refused to budge citing that they documented the first waiver and it was a "one time courtesy". I tried being as pushy as I know how but no luck.

I guess I am going to try again later this week and see what happens.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:42 PM   #725
katanna
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the OP! Easy peasy to get my $36 fee waived. Had to log into my account on AT&T's website but once I did I copied the text from the OP and that was it! Here is the chat transcript:

Quote:
Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with '[Sales Rep]'

Matthew: Hey [Sales Rep]. I recently signed a 2 year contract extension and upgraded to a new iPhone. I was hoping I could have my upgrade fee waived.

[Sales Rep]: Hello Mr [My Last Name] Thank you for chatting with AT&T today. I will be more than happy to help you with that fee and any other questions that you may have.

[Sales Rep]: I do see that you are a loyal customer to AT&T Mr [My Last Name]. I will waive this upgrade fee for you as a one time courtesy from AT&T

Matthew: Thanks. I feel that this is a tax on my loyalty, that you are charging me to continue to do business with you. I appreciate you waiving the fee.

[Sales Rep]: It was my pleasure Mr [My Last Name]. Thank you for being such a great customer
Was literally that easy.

Matthew
Talk about sinking nails... read Acts 4:12.
Apple Event Spoiler Free Veteran since 2007
"Original Spoiler Free Veteran"
katanna is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone