Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:05 PM   #1
albarosa
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Would It Be Redundant To Buy The iPod Touch 4?

Hello everybody!
I'm looking to purchase a new iPod. I've used an iPod Nano Second Generation since I got it in 2006-2007 sometime. I love that little iPod, and never had an issue with it - but unfortunately it was stolen along with my bag a month ago

I'm not super duper heavy into having the latest technology. Heck, I only realized that I needed to upgrade software when trying to download iTunes 11 last week (unfortunately I need to go from Leopard - Mountain Lion so I just sent away for Snow Leopard a few days ago, d'oh!) however I do enjoy having cool features to play with.

I'm not a fan of the new generation of iPod nano's in the least, and it would be an absolute waste for me to go with an iPod classic, because I'd never fill it, so I thought I'd give the iPod Touch a go. I've always wanted an iPhone so it would kinda fill two "wants" in my life.

My only issue is that $299 price tag. In addition, I would need to purchase an adapter for that new Lighting connector, case for the iPod, and another $20 to upgrade to Mountain Lion. So quite a few expenses.

I was considering going with the 16GB 4th Generation. The $100 difference would really be a nice bonus, and the 30 pin connector would fit my current docking station perfectly. My only concern would be purchasing something which is going to become obsolete too quickly. Because the 5G has so many additional features such as the extra inch of screen space and the new lighting adapter, is Apple going to be gearing all their new apps and equipment to fit these specifications and leave the 4G completely out of the loop?

What are everybody's thoughts?
albarosa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:52 AM   #2
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
The 4th gen is already over 2 years old ,and has anemic hardware which wasn't even the best when it came out. Comparitively it also has an awful screen. Viewing angles are atrocious and it looks washed out. I can also almost garuntee that you won't be getting any iOS updates from here on out either. You may be saving a little money in the short term. But in the long term you're probably going to regret it. The large, better screen, increased capacity, MUCH better camera, and much better specs are well worth the extra $100+ ML and the adapter.
TacticalDesire is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:33 AM   #3
FlingZXC
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
4th gen will be "useless" soon . You never know when apple will release another product since its been very competitive with Samsung . Although you are not into technology , 5th gen seems to be the right choice for the features it got . It got better camera , A5 chip ( 4th gen has A4 chip which is like ... SLOW? ) , Siri and more choice of colours . If you are still bugging over the price , wait for the price to drop . Don't bother get the 4th gen .
FlingZXC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
What the heck, people? The iPod Touch 4G's screen is not as lousy as you guys described. I've been using it for over a year now and the incredibly-sharp retina display is amazing. Does viewing angles really matter? It's not like you will hold the iPod in a slanted manner when you're using it. There's no difference from day-to-day use, let me tell you.

At the end of the day, it depends what you'll be using it for. As you came from an iPod nano, I assume that the primary functions that you'll want the iPod Touch 4th gen to perform is to play music or maybe watch a few videos. I also use mine for these 2 purposes only, and I have ABSOLUTELY no trouble with it. When listening to music only, a single charge can last me for a week, no joke. In addition, the retina display is also great for watching 720p HD movies, even though the screen may be slightly small.

You won't go wrong with it, even though it may be an older device. Don't spend $299 just to buy a device to play your music when a $199 counterpart can perform the exact function without any flaw. Furthermore, both have the same 40hrs battery life when listening to audio.
Beeplance is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:56 AM   #5
eXan
macrumors 601
 
eXan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Russia
Send a message via ICQ to eXan Send a message via AIM to eXan Send a message via Skype™ to eXan
Heh, I still use my 1st gen for music and it runs flawlessly. The screen is of course not as good as retina models, but apart from that it does its function just as well as it did back in 2008.
__________________
My WoW videos
13" Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz | 8 GB | 256 GB | Intel Iris
eXan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It will be at its EOL by next fall (I have been using my brother's and it's starting to be a little weird on iOS 6), but just know that iOS 5 and 6 will be supported for awhile to come, and some developers will even make a fallback version (Spotify did with iOS 4). You might not get the latest stuff once iOS 7 comes around, but you will have had pretty much the most of next year to enjoy what everyone else is currently downloading.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Highboy90
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY
Buy a refurbed 4.
__________________
iPhone 3S
iPad Mini 16GB
Mac Mini (late 2012) coming soon???
Highboy90 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:56 AM   #8
ZenMoto
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I say it's better to cry once now, than cry forever later. My hard anodized aluminum finish is a heck of a lot more scratch resistant/durable than the shiny chrome of the previous models. Its satin finish is a pure joy to behold.

The two years difference between the IV and the V is a HUGE technological time period, as far as the rate of technology evolving. How long are computers good for these days? 3 years? 4-5 if you stretch it, and 6 if you're lucky. Buying a brand new device with two-year old technology is not worth a hundred dollars.

I'm so blown away with the iPT5, that I can only recommend it. Just pretend you're going to spend $200 anyway, so the V is only going to cost you $100. That's not much to spend for the best device ever.

The lens over the camera is Sapphire! That's what my watch's crystal is made of, it's really nice and durable. The camera is good enough on the iPT5 to replace my point and shoot (finally). and the HD video recording is nothing to scoff at.

The dense ppi (retina) display makes reading books really close to my face in bed so comfortable and clear (in "night" mode, white text against a black background), holding a mere 88 grams in my hand. The thinness... I won't go on and on, but I'd pay a hundred bucks just for the thin, hard-anodized aluminum unibody alone. It's so worth it. I liked it so much, I returned my original 32GB, and got the 64, for longevity.

I know what you mean about the 2nd Gen NANO though. It's my favorite. It was my favorite iPod, until this iPT5. They're now my only iPods and they make a great team. All that you liked about the NANO is inherent in the iPT5, because that 2nd Gen NANO was also anodized aluminum, and its thinness corresponds perfectly. They have the same long, skinny, and super-thin profile, but the NANO is a dinosaur comparatively.

The NANO lives in my Yamaha TSX-112 dock permanently (so I don't lose it, or it doesn't get stolen) and I don't use the iPT5 for music at all, but I can imagine it being a bit more cumbersome, than tucking that tiny NANO into your bra strap.

I use it as a free Wi-Fi VOIP phone with G-Voice and TalkaTone. Not paying data plans more than compensated for the initial $100 extra cost.

I just pre-ordered an OtterBox Defender as well. I haven't been this psyched over a toy since I was a young lad, don't judge me.
__________________
Air Mini Keys Tragic MacPad iPT5 NANO 2G Remote

Last edited by ZenMoto; Dec 15, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
ZenMoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:51 PM   #9
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
There's no difference from day-to-day use, let me tell you.
For you maybe. But for me it's night and day.
__________________
GSM Unlocked Moto X 16gb (Android 4.4.3)
ATT Nokia Lumia 520 8gb (Windows Phone 8)
Slate iPod Touch 5th Generation 32gb (iOS 6.1.2)
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Ffosse
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
The difference between the 4 and 5 is night and day in my opinion.

I bought the 5 and sold the 4. I don't see the point in anyone buying the 4th gen. as you are getting very dated tech at this point.
Ffosse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:17 PM   #11
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Ignore the post that tell you to get the 5th Touch.

It just seem unnecessary especially if you are music focused. Since you are coming from nano, i dont think you are planning to go crazy night and day for Modern Combat 4 or infinity blade. Touch 4 16G is a good get, cases are still easy to find and cheaper price too. You already have plenty of 30pin accessories i guess it even more convenient.

The thing i also hate about the touch 5 is that you have to buy the new lightning connector. One surely will not be enough.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:51 PM   #12
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
What the heck, people? The iPod Touch 4G's screen is not as lousy as you guys described. I've been using it for over a year now and the incredibly-sharp retina display is amazing. Does viewing angles really matter? It's not like you will hold the iPod in a slanted manner when you're using it. There's no difference from day-to-day use, let me tell you.

At the end of the day, it depends what you'll be using it for. As you came from an iPod nano, I assume that the primary functions that you'll want the iPod Touch 4th gen to perform is to play music or maybe watch a few videos. I also use mine for these 2 purposes only, and I have ABSOLUTELY no trouble with it. When listening to music only, a single charge can last me for a week, no joke. In addition, the retina display is also great for watching 720p HD movies, even though the screen may be slightly small.

You won't go wrong with it, even though it may be an older device. Don't spend $299 just to buy a device to play your music when a $199 counterpart can perform the exact function without any flaw. Furthermore, both have the same 40hrs battery life when listening to audio.
Every Beeplance said is exactly right!!!

And moreover, for those who mentioned old technology blar blar blar.

I just got my Ipad 2 few months back and it was an over a year technology. I couldn't be happier that apple still have it on the store and cut ipad 3 (this year technology) out of their store once Ipad 4 dubuted. I made the right choice because i dont view retina tablet and faster processor that important for the bigger price.

Its just about how you view your purchase, if you feel it is more suitable then it is worthed.
racoonboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:29 PM   #13
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
The iPad 2 has SIGNIFICANTLY better hardware than the 4th gen touch. It's fine you have your own opinion. But don't tell others to ignore someone else's opinion because you don't agree with it. Besides. Your point about the iPad 2 is moot seeing as how it has the same processor, ram and graphics as the 5th gen touch.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:31 PM   #14
fricotin
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
No more than buying an iPad 3.
fricotin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:53 PM   #15
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000
 
Thetonyk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nowhere.
Based on the usage you had with the iPod nano, a 4th gen would be fine. With the extra $100, get yourself some more movies/music
__________________
Some Apple stuff
How you send feedback to apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/
-Credit to iSayuSay for Avatar.
Thetonyk123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:07 AM   #16
jojoba
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
I got a second hand iPod Touch 4 a few months ago, and I'm very happy with it. My usage is exclusively music (own music plus spotify) and podcasts. If I wanted to use it as a 'mini tablet', I would have gotten the 5, but for just listening to music, this has served me well.
__________________
Macademise your research.
My photography blog. Flickr.

Last edited by jojoba; Dec 28, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
jojoba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:42 AM   #17
yinz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I don't understand your post, OP. Where is the redundancy? Do you have an iPhone, a smartphone, or a tablet? I don't get where your redundancy is coming from....
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:10 AM   #18
likethesoup2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orlando, Florida
Methinks that money would be better spent on a program to assist your vocabulary . . .
likethesoup2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:27 PM   #19
jack2wai2
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Red face It still depends on you, yourself

Well, it depends solely on your usage. Personally, I own both iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 5. Both running ios 6 flawlessly. So, running slow is not a problem in iPod touch 4 because it has a superior processor compared to my iPhone.

If you want to play high end games, get the 5th generation since it is much better thanks to its dual core processor. If you don't have a camera, it is also a decent camera and recorder.

If all you want is music, youtube, safari and other light games like angry birds and where is my water, you can definitely save some of your bucks getting iPod touch 4. It depends on your usage.

----------

Both iPod touch is going to get ios 7 because apply is still selling them. It's apple tradition to provide support to products they still sell, like what happen to iPhone 3GS.
jack2wai2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:14 PM   #20
RMo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Iowa, USA
I'm not sure what you mean with "redundant," but I don't think there's anything wrong with the fourth-generation iPod touch. I'm currently using it and it works well. If you're used to something faster or with the larger screen, maybe you'd feel like it was taking a step backwards, but the retina screen is a definite step up from the first generation (which I also owned). You'd think the screen was terrible from the way some people above described it, but they've clearly been spoiled by something else. There's nothing wrong with it. In fact, I usually use mine at the gym and suspect it's better due to the slightly smaller size (I liked the clip-on Nano but ditched it once I switched to Spotify).

The only issue, I think, with the fourth-gen is that Apple is unlikely to support it with future iOS updates. For example, if they're working on an iOS 7, I'm not sure I'd expect it to support the fourth-gen--but who knows, maybe it will with a reduced feature set, or maybe they'll keep it up a little longer since they're still selling it. It doesn't really matter as long as it works for what you're using it for.

Personally, while I'm using a fourth-gen right now, I'll probably sell it and buy a fifth-gen once they become a bit more widely available--but only because I'm also buying a Lockitron, which works with Bluetooth 4.0 that the fourth gen lacks and which is a lot easier than using Lockitron with Wi-Fi (I suspect, anyway). The better camera should also be nice, not that I regularly use my iPod as a camera--but it'd be nice to capture spontaneous events that won't look like I did so on a ten-year-old cell phone.
RMo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:09 PM   #21
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000
 
Thetonyk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nowhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMo View Post
I'm not sure what you mean with "redundant," but I don't think there's anything wrong with the fourth-generation iPod touch. I'm currently using it and it works well. If you're used to something faster or with the larger screen, maybe you'd feel like it was taking a step backwards, but the retina screen is a definite step up from the first generation (which I also owned). You'd think the screen was terrible from the way some people above described it, but they've clearly been spoiled by something else. There's nothing wrong with it. In fact, I usually use mine at the gym and suspect it's better due to the slightly smaller size (I liked the clip-on Nano but ditched it once I switched to Spotify).

The only issue, I think, with the fourth-gen is that Apple is unlikely to support it with future iOS updates. For example, if they're working on an iOS 7, I'm not sure I'd expect it to support the fourth-gen--but who knows, maybe it will with a reduced feature set, or maybe they'll keep it up a little longer since they're still selling it. It doesn't really matter as long as it works for what you're using it for.

Personally, while I'm using a fourth-gen right now, I'll probably sell it and buy a fifth-gen once they become a bit more widely available--but only because I'm also buying a Lockitron, which works with Bluetooth 4.0 that the fourth gen lacks and which is a lot easier than using Lockitron with Wi-Fi (I suspect, anyway). The better camera should also be nice, not that I regularly use my iPod as a camera--but it'd be nice to capture spontaneous events that won't look like I did so on a ten-year-old cell phone.
Personally the screen is alright for me. I don't really care about future iOS updates because when it stops getting iOS updates I'm jail breaking it.
__________________
Some Apple stuff
How you send feedback to apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/
-Credit to iSayuSay for Avatar.
Thetonyk123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:58 PM   #22
Outkast27
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Earf
Im selling my 64 gig ipt4, take a look...

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/3503327418

----------

pm Me if you are interested.
Outkast27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:58 PM   #23
jon3543
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffosse View Post
The difference between the 4 and 5 is night and day in my opinion.
Indeed.

Talking about the screen, the 5's got a much better black level, which improves video and makes everything look more vibrant. The viewing angle is not much better, but at least there isn't the color shift to purple I observed with my 4. The 5's oleophobic coating is a huge upgrade. I've yet to need to wipe my screen because fingerprints were distorting the display, which is something I had to do daily with the 4. Now if they could only make it dust-o-phobic.

The dual core CPU plus twice the RAM makes a huge difference in the core set of apps I use, Music, iBooks, Safari, Tapatalk, and Remote. With the 5, when one of these apps gets flushed, it's at most a couple of seconds for it to come back, whereas with the 4, it could take 10-20 seconds for iBooks to come back. Huge upgrade!

The camera is actually worth using now. It's much better quality all around, plus it has auto-focus. Apps like bar code readers now work well, and the flash enables proper flashlight apps as well as improving photography. Another huge upgrade.

I sold my 64 GB 4th gen and replaced it with a 64 GB 5th gen. I had the 4 for two years, and after six weeks or so with the 5, I can say it is vastly superior in fundamental ways, and it has been a real pleasure to use. And to think I wasn't very excited by it when it was first revealed!
jon3543 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:04 PM   #24
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack2wai2 View Post
Well, it depends solely on your usage. Personally, I own both iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 5. Both running ios 6 flawlessly. So, running slow is not a problem in iPod touch 4 because it has a superior processor compared to my iPhone.

The 4th gen has the exact same processor as the 3GS, it's just 200mhz faster. And while in the mobile world, that's nothing to sneeze at, it's the RAM and graphics chip that's holding the 4th gen back as it's the same as the 3GS. The 4th gen also has the trouble of driving 4x the pixels than the 3GS. A task that the CPU has little to do with as it is much more reliant on the graphics chip and RAM. RAM being the biggest issue. Notice how the iPhone 4 runs iOS 6 just fine while the 4th gen struggles. It's because the iPhone has twice the RAM (256mb vs 512mb).
----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack2wai2 View Post
Both iPod touch is going to get ios 7 because apply is still selling them. It's apple tradition to provide support to products they still sell, like what happen to iPhone 3GS.
Seeing how iOS 6 performs on the 4th gen I wouldn't hold my breath. I suppose it's possible but many big features will be lacking. Similar to iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2nd gen.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy iPod touch now or wait? MarkieMark92 iPod touch 20 Apr 11, 2014 10:24 PM
iPod Touch 5G users: Should I buy one when I already have an iPad and iPod Classic? applexeater iPod touch 6 Apr 7, 2013 11:44 AM
iPod touch completely redundant in order to save battery life? Kendo iPhone 3 Nov 12, 2012 09:25 PM
Redundant ipod touch replaced Nychot iPod touch 5 Sep 3, 2012 07:34 AM
Should I buy an iPod Touch? skeep5 iPod 3 Jun 26, 2012 11:04 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC