Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:47 PM   #1
pslavish
macrumors newbie

Connecting Apple TV to Stereo without Optical Audio Compatibility

I have a Sony Stereo Receiver which doesn't have an optical audio port.

Currently my stereo is connected to the cable box, which is connected to the TV via HDMI. Apple TV is connected as well via HDMI, but I can't get stereo sound through my speakers.

Is there any way to configure the setup so I can get sound coming through my receiver/speakers when using the Apple TV (without optical audio)? I do have an optical audio chord though, which I can use if necessary.
pslavish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:33 PM   #2
JGRE
macrumors 6502

You do not need an optical connection, HDMI audio should work fine. Check your amps' settings, if the input is set to optical or analog instead of HDMI audio.
There are no settings on the ATV site as far as I know.

To what is your ATV connected directly, amp or TV?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:32 PM   #3
pslavish
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRE View Post
You do not need an optical connection, HDMI audio should work fine. Check your amps' settings, if the input is set to optical or analog instead of HDMI audio.
There are no settings on the ATV site as far as I know.

To what is your ATV connected directly, amp or TV?
Apple TV is connected via HDMI to my TV>TV is connected to Cable Box>Cable Box is connected to Amp
pslavish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:13 PM   #4
zhenya
macrumors 68020

No, there is no path from your ATV to your tv to your cable box to your stereo. You need an amplifier with a digital input.
zhenya is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:37 PM   #5
vinhvien
macrumors newbie

im using gen 3 & can not connect
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:53 PM   #6
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslavish View Post
Apple TV is connected via HDMI to my TV>TV is connected to Cable Box>Cable Box is connected to Amp
Does the TV have an audio out connection, if so that should work to send sound to the amp
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:27 AM   #7
QWERTYMac7
macrumors regular

I use this: FiiO D3 Digital to Analog Audio Converter ($19.91 @ Amazon). It works well and plays through my receiver via RCA plugs.

If you order one, don't forget an optical cable!

Hope this helps!
QWERTYMac7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:45 AM   #8
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Huh?

I use a converter for my headphones, which are analog only.

Digital audio to converter, analog to headphones.

Around $20-30 on Amazon.

See what ports you have available and then find a converter. Mine works great.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:23 PM   #9
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Could you tell us exactly what kind of input options are available on your reciever?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:06 PM   #10
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Zhenya is right, if your amp is connected to your cable box, nothing is connecting you ATV to your amp.
So you need to make sure that there is a HDMI connection going from your TV (audio output) to your amp. Better would be to have everything run through your amp, and your amp to your TV, this would be the standard home-cinema set-up. If your amp has no digital intput, you still can use the analog output from your TV to the amp, this will give you some less quality audio.

Last edited by JGRE; Dec 18, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
JGRE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:33 AM   #11
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I have a Sony Stereo Receiver which doesn't have an optical audio port.

Currently my stereo is connected to the cable box, which is connected to the TV via HDMI. Apple TV is connected as well via HDMI, but I can't get stereo sound through my speakers.

Is there any way to configure the setup so I can get sound coming through my receiver/speakers when using the Apple TV (without optical audio)? I do have an optical audio chord though, which I can use if necessary.
Does your receiver have a coaxial digital audio input? If you do, you can buy an optical to coaxial converter.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-4001...oslink+to+coax

(Not sure about the quality of the item I linked, just a random pick to give you an idea.)
duneriderltr450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:22 PM   #12
DaveVideo
macrumors newbie

I just found an HDMI to RCA audio adapter. I'm gonna try to take ATV to TV (w/HDMI) and then audio out of the TV to stereo (HDMI to RCA audio). Will let you know if that works.
DaveVideo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:04 PM   #13
brianbunge
macrumors regular

I bought a coax/optical digital to analog RCA converter at Radio Shack so I could hook up my daughter's Apple TV to her stereo receiver in her room. It worked great!
brianbunge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:04 AM   #14
CocoaPuffs
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveVideo View Post
I just found an HDMI to RCA audio adapter. I'm gonna try to take ATV to TV (w/HDMI) and then audio out of the TV to stereo (HDMI to RCA audio). Will let you know if that works.
Why would your TV have audio out via HDMI?

It would be quite weird for the TV manufacturer to expect you to have video-out via HDMI, and equally weird to have audio-out via HDMI.

Last edited by CocoaPuffs; Dec 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM.
CocoaPuffs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:05 AM   #15
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveVideo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaPuffs View Post
Why would your TV have audio out via HDMI?

It would be quite weird for the TV manufacturer to expect you to have video-out via HDMI, and equally weird to have audio-out via HDMI.
Well, Dave, that won't work the way you put it, you don't want to do all that messing around for nothing. But TVs can have audio out via HDMI. Here, what TVs should have:

Optical out. Send this back to your receiver for sound.

ARC. If both your TV and receiver have ARC on the HDMI connections (and BOTH must have this feature), the TV will send audio via the same HDMI wire that goes from receiver output to TV input. Note that it may only be one connection on each device that actually says "ARC".
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:02 PM   #16
alxtraf
macrumors newbie

I have HDMI to a Sony Bravia and then a simple mini-plug (headphoes jack) to RCA to a brand new stereo Denon amplifier (yes, after setting up many multi speakers systems I went back to the good-old-two-channel sound). After all, we have only two ears!
alxtraf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 09:31 AM   #17
tigonsau
macrumors newbie

Optical out. Send this back to your receiver for sound.

ARC. If both your TV and receiver have ARC on the HDMI connections (and BOTH must have this feature), the TV will send audio via the same HDMI wire that goes from receiver output to TV input. Note that it may only be one connection on each device that actually says "ARC".

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater