Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:01 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Redesigned and Expanded Third Street Promenade Apple Store Opens in Santa Monica, CA




Apple has opened its new Third Street Promenade Apple Store in Santa Monica, CA. The store has the same design as the new Palo Alto location, with a slightly smaller implementation as the Upper West Side store in Manhattan.

Apple's old Third Street Promenade location was one of the early Apple Stores and was an extremely popular location that was almost always crowded to capacity. The new store should allow considerably more foot traffic.

Apple proposed the new store to the Santa Monica planning commission more than a year ago, with the new building gaining approval without so much as a discussion.

Thanks David!

Article Link: Redesigned and Expanded Third Street Promenade Apple Store Opens in Santa Monica, CA
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:05 PM   #2
tich
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Photo credit to Jessie Daley
tich is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:10 PM   #3
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Redesigned to look like any other apple store in the world...
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
Redesigned to look like any other apple store in the world...
Wow such an original comment.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:25 PM   #5
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
That store design is going to REALLY give customers an opportunity to test the new iMac's "75% less-reflective, full lamination"...GLARE EVERYWHERE
somethingelsefl is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:32 PM   #6
mrr
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Big new store. Like an airplane hanger. Nice shadows on the wall from the all glass ceiling. Will be nice in a rainstorm (though it rarely rains here) 1500 tee shirts gone in 45 minutes. 1 MacPro in the entire store. Lots of new iMacs. In stock. Saw 2 going out the store. 3rd party headphones seem to be everywhere. No more seating and video projector for free classes and workshops :-( Original Mac store up the block is boarded up in sliver with arrows pointing to the new store. Apple logo covered in black.

Last edited by Doctor Q; Dec 18, 2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: removed quote of since-deleted post
mrr is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:35 PM   #7
JoEw
macrumors 6502a
 
JoEw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
This is so worth frontpage.. Ha
JoEw is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:42 PM   #8
Frisco
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoEw View Post
This is so worth frontpage.. Ha
Maybe we should put you on the back page.
__________________
Frisco
Frisco is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Aussi3
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Turn off the air con and you should be able to grow some plants in there
Aussi3 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:48 PM   #10
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604
 
SchneiderMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Apple state
Looks like a museum, nice!
__________________
Gdgtmac.com // TheGearGrid.com <Featuring The Best In Tech
SchneiderMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:53 PM   #11
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Wow such an original comment.
As original as apple's design of their stores.
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:06 PM   #12
Rocketman
macrumors 603
 
Rocketman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Claremont, CA
Approved immediately without discussion. You know why?

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...119006679.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by newspaper
Measure Y, which was passed by over 60% of the voters on the November 2nd ballot, increases the city's tax rate from 9.75 percent to 10.25 percent.

The city expects to collect an additional $11.4 million from the tax in its first year, Finance Director Carol Swindel, told the Santa Monica Daily Press.
In addition to that, Apple is notoriously above code on their architectural plans.

It still took a YEAR.

Rocketman
__________________
Think Different-ly!
All 357 R or D House jobs bills over 4 years died in the D Senate, ordered by the D President. Buy a model rocket here: http://v-serv.com/usr/instaship-visual.htm Thanks.
Rocketman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Lancer
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
Been wondering if Apple has some special coating on all that glass to stop finger prints and reduce glare

Also in Santa Monica how the hell do they keep the building cool in summer?
Lancer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:11 PM   #14
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
Been wondering if Apple has some special coating on all that glass to stop finger prints and reduce glare

Also in Santa Monica how the hell do they keep the building cool in summer?
This is an ecological disaster of building for such a climate. I bet the air conditioning units are larger in volume than the actual store to keep this place cool. But they could be using reflective coatings on the glass which would mean anyone walking outside will be properly toasted.
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:19 PM   #15
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
This is an ecological disaster of building for such a climate. I bet the air conditioning units are larger in volume than the actual store to keep this place cool. But they could be using reflective coatings on the glass which would mean anyone walking outside will be properly toasted.
I am sure that Apple doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to glass, building with it or using it for their products, let alone environmental or ecological issues.

In short they seem to be clueless. We will only believe you.

Clearly time for you to step up and help them, before somebody gets hurt!

Don't hold back, they need you.
__________________
It's ready, when it's ready !
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Benjamin Franklin
Thunderhawks is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:21 PM   #16
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
In addition to that, Apple is notoriously above code on their architectural plans.

It still took a YEAR.
Code compliance isn't normally what takes up a lot of time. Design and environmental review does.
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:23 PM   #17
srxtr
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I went there just in time to get my free t-shirt.

Great store. Went in to find the same Macs and iDevices I see everywhere. Dunno what I was expecting.
srxtr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:24 PM   #18
firestarter
macrumors Demi-God
 
firestarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Green and pleasant land
Apple store articles are the dullest postings on this site.

Really... who cares?
firestarter is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:33 PM   #19
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
I am sure that Apple doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to glass, building with it or using it for their products, let alone environmental or ecological issues.

In short they seem to be clueless. We will only believe you.

Clearly time for you to step up and help them, before somebody gets hurt!

Don't hold back, they need you.
You don't have to believe me or apple you can use your head and think, or maybe not...

For 5 years the imac has been a reflective/glare disaster like nothing before or since, and you have the nerve to tell me about apple's expertise with glass?

What part of my post didn't you understand exactly in terms of the environmental impact? In such climates these types of all glass building use a. reflective coatings scorching anyone walking outside and/or enormous air conditioning units to cool them down. Stone or concrete is the preferred ceiling and/or wall in such climates because they slowly absorb heat in the daytime and radiate it at night due to the larger thermal capacity.

You can thank me later for the eco building 101 lesson.
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:41 PM   #20
writingdevil
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
I am sure that Apple doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to glass, building with it or using it for their products, let alone environmental or ecological issues.

In short they seem to be clueless. We will only believe you.

Clearly time for you to step up and help them, before somebody gets hurt!

Don't hold back, they need you.
It's almost funny how many armchair experts just love to jab at success as the post you're responding to did. Every site has a group of posters who pride themselves in negating what Apple is doing, making their attempt at humor/sarcasm the focus rather than info of interest to people following technology and design.. The same person posted:

"Redesigned to look like any other apple store in the world."

It doesn't look like most Apple stores over the world at all, if you look at architecture and design, and Apple has won more architecture awards than any other international firm with as many locations. Quality control and eco standards are very highly rated. And why should any store look different in an international operation? Barney's, A&F to 7-11 and 99c stores build a brand which is easily recognizable for the buying public. It's part of a marketing/branding strategy that seems to be paying off. But, of course, if someone has more amazing ideas, one can apply at Apple/HumanResources and straighten things out.
writingdevil is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:44 PM   #21
NT1440
macrumors G3
 
NT1440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
This is an ecological disaster of building for such a climate. I bet the air conditioning units are larger in volume than the actual store to keep this place cool. But they could be using reflective coatings on the glass which would mean anyone walking outside will be properly toasted.
Says the person that knows absolutely nothing about the thermal properties of glass....


Do you even know the fruits of the massive partnership between Apple and Corning over the last decade? They are pushing forward the limits of glass technology, making architectural glass bigger and stronger (with many other very interesting properties) than anyone in the history of mankind. Hell just for their "cube" in NYC they had to send a design team to China just to engineer a new machine for making seamless glass that big (surely in preparation for the massive curved panels going into the new HQ).

Glass, when done right (which is clearly what apple does in their flagship stores), is one of the most environmentally friendly construction materials around. Just a small gap of air between two panes makes one of the best insulators for large buildings, and that has been standard practice for over half a century now. Just think of all the engineering that is going on behind the scenes.
NT1440 is online now   14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:18 PM   #22
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter View Post
Apple store articles are the dullest postings on this site.

Really... who cares?
The answer is, "You do." You cared enough to click on the link and post. If you really didn't care, why did you even click on the link to begin with.

Furthermore, if you have such a lack of caring for this post, why did you even post a comment?

Honestly people. Stop whining.
Lark.Landon is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:20 PM   #23
thederby
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
This is an ecological disaster of building for such a climate. I bet the air conditioning units are larger in volume than the actual store to keep this place cool. But they could be using reflective coatings on the glass which would mean anyone walking outside will be properly toasted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Says the person that knows absolutely nothing about the thermal properties of glass....


Do you even know the fruits of the massive partnership between Apple and Corning over the last decade? They are pushing forward the limits of glass technology, making architectural glass bigger and stronger (with many other very interesting properties) than anyone in the history of mankind. Hell just for their "cube" in NYC they had to send a design team to China just to engineer a new machine for making seamless glass that big (surely in preparation for the massive curved panels going into the new HQ).

Glass, when done right (which is clearly what apple does in their flagship stores), is one of the most environmentally friendly construction materials around. Just a small gap of air between two panes makes one of the best insulators for large buildings, and that has been standard practice for over half a century now. Just think of all the engineering that is going on behind the scenes.
furthermore, the average temperature in santa monica is between 63-71. most of the homes in that area don't even have air conditioning.

what, exactly, about the climate would necessitate "units are larger in volume than the actual store"?
__________________
-- derby
thederby is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:22 PM   #24
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
I am sure that Apple doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to glass, building with it or using it for their products, let alone environmental or ecological issues.

In short they seem to be clueless. We will only believe you.

Clearly time for you to step up and help them, before somebody gets hurt!

Don't hold back, they need you.
+1 !

They needz him!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
You don't have to believe me or apple you can use your head and think, or maybe not...

For 5 years the imac has been a reflective/glare disaster like nothing before or since, and you have the nerve to tell me about apple's expertise with glass?

What part of my post didn't you understand exactly in terms of the environmental impact? In such climates these types of all glass building use a. reflective coatings scorching anyone walking outside and/or enormous air conditioning units to cool them down. Stone or concrete is the preferred ceiling and/or wall in such climates because they slowly absorb heat in the daytime and radiate it at night due to the larger thermal capacity.

You can thank me later for the eco building 101 lesson.
Apple needz j00!

He was encouraging you.

Way to be such a meanie-face.
Lark.Landon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:26 PM   #25
ChrisA
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
Been wondering if Apple has some special coating on all that glass to stop finger prints and reduce glare

Also in Santa Monica how the hell do they keep the building cool in summer?
Notice the ceiling height. It is tall enough to cool by convection.

If your car were 40 feet tall it could be cool when you park it outdoors too if you were to open both floor and roof vents. But no car is 40 feet tall
ChrisA is offline   3 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5s/5c Temecula Promenade apple store komiothebeat iPhone Launch Meetups 5 Sep 20, 2013 12:06 AM
Massacre in Santa Monica, CA DesertEagle Politics, Religion, Social Issues 84 Jun 11, 2013 07:22 PM
How is AT&T LTE L.A./Hollywood/ Santa Monica? sootie iPhone 40 Dec 21, 2012 04:36 PM
Anyone waiting L.A/ Santa Monica and la brea AT&T store? sootie iPhone Launch Meetups 2 Sep 20, 2012 12:50 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC