Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has opened its new Third Street Promenade Apple Store in Santa Monica, CA. The store has the same design as the new Palo Alto location, with a slightly smaller implementation as the Upper West Side store in Manhattan.

3rdstreetpromenade.jpg

Apple's old Third Street Promenade location was one of the early Apple Stores and was an extremely popular location that was almost always crowded to capacity. The new store should allow considerably more foot traffic.

Apple proposed the new store to the Santa Monica planning commission more than a year ago, with the new building gaining approval without so much as a discussion.

Thanks David!

Article Link: Redesigned and Expanded Third Street Promenade Apple Store Opens in Santa Monica, CA

Last edited:

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
That store design is going to REALLY give customers an opportunity to test the new iMac's "75% less-reflective, full lamination"...GLARE EVERYWHERE

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Big new store. Like an airplane hanger. Nice shadows on the wall from the all glass ceiling. Will be nice in a rainstorm (though it rarely rains here) 1500 tee shirts gone in 45 minutes. 1 MacPro in the entire store. Lots of new iMacs. In stock. Saw 2 going out the store. 3rd party headphones seem to be everywhere. No more seating and video projector for free classes and workshops :-( Original Mac store up the block is boarded up in sliver with arrows pointing to the new store. Apple logo covered in black.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Approved immediately without discussion. You know why?

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Santa-Monica-Tax-Rate-Jumps-to-1025--119006679.html

newspaper said:
Measure Y, which was passed by over 60% of the voters on the November 2nd ballot, increases the city's tax rate from 9.75 percent to 10.25 percent.

The city expects to collect an additional $11.4 million from the tax in its first year, Finance Director Carol Swindel, told the Santa Monica Daily Press.
In addition to that, Apple is notoriously above code on their architectural plans.

It still took a YEAR.

Rocketman

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Been wondering if Apple has some special coating on all that glass to stop finger prints and reduce glare :D

Also in Santa Monica how the hell do they keep the building cool in summer?

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Been wondering if Apple has some special coating on all that glass to stop finger prints and reduce glare :D

This is an ecological disaster of building for such a climate. I bet the air conditioning units are larger in volume than the actual store to keep this place cool. But they could be using reflective coatings on the glass which would mean anyone walking outside will be properly toasted.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
This is an ecological disaster of building for such a climate. I bet the air conditioning units are larger in volume than the actual store to keep this place cool. But they could be using reflective coatings on the glass which would mean anyone walking outside will be properly toasted.

I am sure that Apple doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to glass, building with it or using it for their products, let alone environmental or ecological issues.

In short they seem to be clueless. We will only believe you.

Clearly time for you to step up and help them, before somebody gets hurt!

Don't hold back, they need you.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
I went there just in time to get my free t-shirt.

Great store. Went in to find the same Macs and iDevices I see everywhere. Dunno what I was expecting.

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
I am sure that Apple doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to glass, building with it or using it for their products, let alone environmental or ecological issues.

You don't have to believe me or apple you can use your head and think, or maybe not...

For 5 years the imac has been a reflective/glare disaster like nothing before or since, and you have the nerve to tell me about apple's expertise with glass?

What part of my post didn't you understand exactly in terms of the environmental impact? In such climates these types of all glass building use a. reflective coatings scorching anyone walking outside and/or enormous air conditioning units to cool them down. Stone or concrete is the preferred ceiling and/or wall in such climates because they slowly absorb heat in the daytime and radiate it at night due to the larger thermal capacity.

You can thank me later for the eco building 101 lesson.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010

It's almost funny how many armchair experts just love to jab at success as the post you're responding to did. Every site has a group of posters who pride themselves in negating what Apple is doing, making their attempt at humor/sarcasm the focus rather than info of interest to people following technology and design.. The same person posted:

"Redesigned to look like any other apple store in the world."

It doesn't look like most Apple stores over the world at all, if you look at architecture and design, and Apple has won more architecture awards than any other international firm with as many locations. Quality control and eco standards are very highly rated. And why should any store look different in an international operation? Barney's, A&F to 7-11 and 99c stores build a brand which is easily recognizable for the buying public. It's part of a marketing/branding strategy that seems to be paying off. But, of course, if someone has more amazing ideas, one can apply at Apple/HumanResources and straighten things out.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Says the person that knows absolutely nothing about the thermal properties of glass....

Do you even know the fruits of the massive partnership between Apple and Corning over the last decade? They are pushing forward the limits of glass technology, making architectural glass bigger and stronger (with many other very interesting properties) than anyone in the history of mankind. Hell just for their "cube" in NYC they had to send a design team to China just to engineer a new machine for making seamless glass that big (surely in preparation for the massive curved panels going into the new HQ).

Glass, when done right (which is clearly what apple does in their flagship stores), is one of the most environmentally friendly construction materials around. Just a small gap of air between two panes makes one of the best insulators for large buildings, and that has been standard practice for over half a century now. Just think of all the engineering that is going on behind the scenes.

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
Apple store articles are the dullest postings on this site.

Really... who cares?

The answer is, "You do." You cared enough to click on the link and post. If you really didn't care, why did you even click on the link to begin with.

Furthermore, if you have such a lack of caring for this post, why did you even post a comment?

Honestly people. Stop whining.

thederby

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
Austin, TX

Says the person that knows absolutely nothing about the thermal properties of glass....

Do you even know the fruits of the massive partnership between Apple and Corning over the last decade? They are pushing forward the limits of glass technology, making architectural glass bigger and stronger (with many other very interesting properties) than anyone in the history of mankind. Hell just for their "cube" in NYC they had to send a design team to China just to engineer a new machine for making seamless glass that big (surely in preparation for the massive curved panels going into the new HQ).

Glass, when done right (which is clearly what apple does in their flagship stores), is one of the most environmentally friendly construction materials around. Just a small gap of air between two panes makes one of the best insulators for large buildings, and that has been standard practice for over half a century now. Just think of all the engineering that is going on behind the scenes.

furthermore, the average temperature in santa monica is between 63°-71°. most of the homes in that area don't even have air conditioning.

what, exactly, about the climate would necessitate "units are larger in volume than the actual store"?

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal

+1 !

They needz him!

----------

You don't have to believe me or apple you can use your head and think, or maybe not...

For 5 years the imac has been a reflective/glare disaster like nothing before or since, and you have the nerve to tell me about apple's expertise with glass?

What part of my post didn't you understand exactly in terms of the environmental impact? In such climates these types of all glass building use a. reflective coatings scorching anyone walking outside and/or enormous air conditioning units to cool them down. Stone or concrete is the preferred ceiling and/or wall in such climates because they slowly absorb heat in the daytime and radiate it at night due to the larger thermal capacity.

You can thank me later for the eco building 101 lesson.

Apple needz j00!

He was encouraging you.

Way to be such a meanie-face.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Notice the ceiling height. It is tall enough to cool by convection.

If your car were 40 feet tall it could be cool when you park it outdoors too if you were to open both floor and roof vents. But no car is 40 feet tall

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.