Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Windswept.jpg

Beautiful Phrasikleia...did you get this shot with your newly created bipod? :)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Beautiful Phrasikleia...did you get this shot with your newly created bipod? :)

Thanks, Cheese&Apple. You got the evening right, but my chivalrous husband provided the tripod after mine gave up the ghost. He inspected the damage and then insisted that I soldier forward with his tripod instead. There was a time when a gentleman would throw his cloak over a puddle so that a lady could tread forward without incident. I think perhaps this situation was the modern-day equivalent. ;)

Rowbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Gatineau, PQ, Canada
A Cedar Waxwing...I love their colouring.

Realy nice capture C&A. The grey background makes all the other colors pop, and those Cedars are such beautifull birds. I love the mask in their faces.

Were there many of them at the same location? They are often in large groups and they move fast from tree to tree.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
I don't think I've posted this one before, apologies if I have. Close up of the side of a discarded olive press.
IMG_3948.jpg

1/2000, f/1.8, ISO 200, Canon 1100D, 50mm f/1.8.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
And before I go to bed, I leave you with... Sad Santa.

zKEb2.jpg

I caught just the right (or wrong) candid moment of my local mall Santa today. I didn't even realize how great the facial expression was until I went back to look over my shots from the day. Super-artistic? No. Meme-worthy? I think so.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
One of my favourite birds. I haven't seen one this winter (though it's supposed to be an 'invasion' year). Love the way the colours complement the composition...

Fantastic composition and capture Peter, we don't have anything similar here at all. I'm a sucker for masked birds too.

Realy nice capture C&A. The grey background makes all the other colors pop, and those Cedars are such beautifull birds. I love the mask in their faces.

Were there many of them at the same location? They are often in large groups and they move fast from tree to tree.

Thank you gentlemen...this is high praise indeed. :)

Rowbear, there was a large group of the Cedar Waxwings perched high in an adjacent tree (way beyond my lens reach). I was lucky to find the last tree in Muskoka to still have fruit by mid October. The Waxwings were careful, timid and a bit of a challenge to capture...unlike the pair of Pine Grosbeaks that were chowing-down with wild abandon (I could have reached-out and plucked one of them from the tree if I was so inclined).

I have to say..it was such a good afternoon.

Peter

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
My 21st at the weekend and it was a good chance to setup a photobooth. Yes my idea of fun on my 21st is to take pictures of all my friends!

I hired out 2 flash heads with umbrellas from Uni and bought a 2.72m Colorama Storm Grey backdrop.

I really liked the effect and will be shooting some headshots and more "lit" shots over the christmas break but for the party I just did a rough key and fill.

Interested to know what you think?

Kate & Henry by acearchie, on Flickr

I like shots like this. What do you have to bump the ISO to to grab an exposure?

Last edited:

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
My 21st at the weekend and it was a good chance to setup a photobooth. Yes my idea of fun on my 21st is to take pictures of all my friends!

I hired out 2 flash heads with umbrellas from Uni and bought a 2.72m Colorama Storm Grey backdrop.

I really liked the effect and will be shooting some headshots and more "lit" shots over the christmas break but for the party I just did a rough key and fill.

Interested to know what you think?

Kate & Henry by acearchie, on Flickr

Looks like a nice, simple setup and a lot of fun. I'm hoping to buy some modifiers soon so I can work on this kind of stuff myself. Can you give a few more details about what lights you used and how you triggered them? I'm still trying to decide what I want to get for myself.

Oh yeah, and happy birthday!

yogeewan

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
Losing my religion

An old sewing machine gathering dust at home.

Attachments

• _DSC6246.jpg
    _DSC6246.jpg
    651.1 KB · Views: 126

Puckman1

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
Vandalian tower, south Harting, England

Love this (as usual). Lots of nice stuff in this thread lately.
I haven't had much time to shoot anything this past couple of weeks. Plus I've hit the old "rut" lately. Can't wait to get back out there. You folks are an inspiration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.