Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:14 AM   #101
SFC Archer
macrumors 68000

^^ Uhm...you are a little slow...we are now Jailbroke "UNTETHERED" on iOS 5.1.1. You may want to edit/update your post to current information
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:03 PM   #102
elec999
macrumors regular

Can an iPhone 4 be unlocked?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:47 PM   #103
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by elec999 View Post
Can an iPhone 4 be unlocked?
This thread isn't for unlocking, as they are different issues.

That said, it can be, but depends on the carrier and device.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:11 PM   #104
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Updated for new devices and iOS versions.

NOTE: No jailbreak yet for iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPad 3 or iPhone 5
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:19 AM   #105
JCfromTB
macrumors member

I jailbroke my iPad I (5.1.1) last night out of curiosity. I figured I can't go to iOS 6 anyways, so why not!?

What are some common modifications that people do once their device is jailbroke? I know you can manipulate the look of your devices, cheat on games (not my thing, but I don't judge!), and add-on programs and apps not typically available.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:14 AM   #106
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCfromTB View Post
I jailbroke my iPad I (5.1.1) last night out of curiosity. I figured I can't go to iOS 6 anyways, so why not!?

What are some common modifications that people do once their device is jailbroke? I know you can manipulate the look of your devices, cheat on games (not my thing, but I don't judge!), and add-on programs and apps not typically available.
I would google "iPad jailbreak tweaks."

Most tweaks are made for the iPhone, but some are made specifically for the iPad.

Check this blog and keep up to date on the most recent weaks:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/tag/tweak/
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:41 AM   #107
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCfromTB View Post

Whatever apps or functions you use most on your iPad, I would look for hacks or tweaks for those apps: there are usually improvements to make them easier to use, shortcuts, streamlines, etc.

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:30 AM   #108
lokerd
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
Thanks. This post should be a sticky!
+1...again probably. Tired of looking for this thread on my subscribed threads.

Who needs to make the decision to make this a sticky????

[Edit: SFC Archer below has a good point about adding a post so we know when the thread has been updated. The only problem is that we only get ONE notification until we visit the thread. But, I guess that is better than nothing. Thanks!!]

Last edited by lokerd; Nov 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
lokerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:08 AM   #109
SFC Archer
macrumors 68000

To the OP: You have done an outstanding job on keeping this thread up-to-date and easy to use...Thank You!!! Do not understand why the mods will not "Sticky" this but obviously they have their reasons. I and I am sure many others, have subscribed to this thread so that we know when a new jailbreak has occurred.

Now the favor: When you make a change to your first post, it does not send us a message that you have updated so would request that when you do an update, could you please post a short reply so that we get the email message???

I no longer sit on these threads watching posts that continuously repeat what has already been answered countless times or asking when jailbreaks are out or complaints. Your thread answers everything I need and am so great full for your work.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:20 AM   #110
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC Archer View Post
To the OP: You have done an outstanding job on keeping this thread up-to-date and easy to use...Thank You!!! Do not understand why the mods will not "Sticky" this but obviously they have their reasons. I and I am sure many others, have subscribed to this thread so that we know when a new jailbreak has occurred.

Now the favor: When you make a change to your first post, it does not send us a message that you have updated so would request that when you do an update, could you please post a short reply so that we get the email message???

I no longer sit on these threads watching posts that continuously repeat what has already been answered countless times or asking when jailbreaks are out or complaints. Your thread answers everything I need and am so great full for your work.
http://jailbrea.kr/

@chpwn made this site that is the same thing.. as well as most of the devs who release the actually jailbreaks have info on which device can be jailbroken
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:33 AM   #111
SFC Archer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
http://jailbrea.kr/

@chpwn made this site that is the same thing.. as well as most of the devs who release the actually jailbreaks have info on which device can be jailbroken
Thank you, I am very aware of this site as well and I thank you for your reply, but it does not send me an email when updated like this thread does. I also; like others, do not use twitter and I rely on my subscriptions in MacRumors. Thanks again though
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:35 AM   #112
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Thank you, I am very aware of this site as well and I thank you for your reply, but it does not send me an email when updated like this thread does. I also; like others, do not use twitter and I rely on my subscriptions in MacRumors. Thanks again though
suhweet i didnt think about that.. do you just subscribe to the thread? (ive never done that)
i just get most my jailbreak updates via twitter.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:11 AM   #113
SFC Archer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
suhweet i didnt think about that.. do you just subscribe to the thread? (ive never done that)
i just get most my jailbreak updates via twitter.
Yes sir, just go to the top of the thread and select "Thread Tools" a drop down will offer the opportunity to "Subscribe" and if you have an email set up in your profile, it will forward thread replies. Cant stand twitter as stated and find this much better for info.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:23 AM   #114
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Yes sir, just go to the top of the thread and select "Thread Tools" a drop down will offer the opportunity to "Subscribe" and if you have an email set up in your profile, it will forward thread replies. Cant stand twitter as stated and find this much better for info.
thanks! learned something new after years of using this forum
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:20 PM   #115
mitch6000
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Reply

I used redsn0w to jailbreak my ipod 4th gen with IOS 6.0.0 and id did work but my ipod kept crashing and i ended up restoring it as a new device and now it works as good as new. So if you do want to jailbreak your device is is really good but be warned your ipod may crash multiple times.
mitch6000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:27 PM   #116
OceanView
macrumors 65816

No more need to jailbreak as I have moved onto a Samsung Note II.
I can do most of the things I want to without the need to JB.
Loving the freedom of Android.

"good artists copy, great artists steal, and we have, you know, always been shameless about stealing great ideas". Steve Jobs - 1996 interview.
OceanView is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:08 PM   #117
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch6000 View Post
I used redsn0w to jailbreak my ipod 4th gen with IOS 6.0.0 and id did work but my ipod kept crashing and i ended up restoring it as a new device and now it works as good as new. So if you do want to jailbreak your device is is really good but be warned your ipod may crash multiple times.
First, you should DFU restore it. Then, re-attempt the jailbreak using the latest version of redsn0w.

Note that as of today, for the iPod Touch 4th generation on iOS 6, it will be a TETHERED jailbreak. Furthermore, as jailbreaking iOS 6 is uncommon and many tweaks are not quite supported, any issues with "crashing" are likely tied to the tweaks you have installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
No more need to jailbreak as I have moved onto a Samsung Note II.
I can do most of the things I want to without the need to JB.
Loving the freedom of Android.
Ummm .. okay? Wrong thread, much?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:31 PM   #118
itorres
macrumors newbie

Questions from a noob

Very glad that I came across this forum!

I have just downloaded redsn0w, and went through the steps to jail break my iPhone 4 (running iOS 5.1). I was a bit confused by the message telling me that, even though i just installed Cydia, I would still need to go through some boot command on the software -I'm still not sure what this is referring to, as I don't see any boot commands in the Mac client -and when I try to open the Cydia app that was installed on my phone, nothing seems to happen. So I now do not know if my phone is, in fact, jail broken or not.

My reason for wanting to jailbreak the phone is that I was told that this would likely remove the Rogers carrier lock on the phone... I moved from Canada to the UK recently, and would like to be able to use my iPhone with one of the UK carriers. Can anyone verify if jail breaking does disable this lock?

Thanks!
itorres is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:27 PM   #119
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by itorres View Post
Very glad that I came across this forum!

I have just downloaded redsn0w, and went through the steps to jail break my iPhone 4 (running iOS 5.1). I was a bit confused by the message telling me that, even though i just installed Cydia, I would still need to go through some boot command on the software -I'm still not sure what this is referring to, as I don't see any boot commands in the Mac client -and when I try to open the Cydia app that was installed on my phone, nothing seems to happen. So I now do not know if my phone is, in fact, jail broken or not.

My reason for wanting to jailbreak the phone is that I was told that this would likely remove the Rogers carrier lock on the phone... I moved from Canada to the UK recently, and would like to be able to use my iPhone with one of the UK carriers. Can anyone verify if jail breaking does disable this lock?

Thanks!
Can you first confirm that it's 5.1.0 and not 5.0.1 or 5.1.1?
Dwalls90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:52 PM   #120
itorres
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Can you first confirm that it's 5.1.0 and not 5.0.1 or 5.1.1?
In the Settings>>General>>About screen it says "Version: 5.1 (9B176)"
itorres is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:41 PM   #121
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

on 5.1 it is tethered JB, which means everytime you need to restart you phone you'll have to connect it to the mac and run redsn0w.

The "boot command" is the Just Boot button in redsn0w Extras
try that and follow instructions, your phone will restrat and you can use Cydia
iPad 2 WIFI iOS 8.0 GM
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:14 PM   #122
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriJetHero View Post
on 5.1 it is tethered JB, which means everytime you need to restart you phone you'll have to connect it to the mac and run redsn0w.

The "boot command" is the Just Boot button in redsn0w Extras
try that and follow instructions, your phone will restrat and you can use Cydia
Exactly. Thanks tri!

You can check for Blobs to see if you can downgrade or upgrade to 5.0.1 or 5.1.1 for an untethered jailbreak

If you don't you might as well upgrade to ios 6 because you can use that tethered too.
Dwalls90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:32 PM   #123
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Overhauled and primed for the upcoming iOS 6.1 jailbreak!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:35 PM   #124
xchampx13
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Overhauled and primed for the upcoming iOS 6.1 jailbreak!
You may want to change it from anticipated release 1/3/13 to 2/3/13
xchampx13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:37 PM   #125
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchampx13 View Post
You may want to change it from anticipated release 1/3/13 to 2/3/13

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks