Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ben2e

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2007
Back for a 2nd try

I've got a 27" 2011. I plan to upgrade the drive and install an SSD. I tried this once before and will retry. I have the 13-22 female/femail sata cable and a Seagate Baracuda 3TB.

Does it matter which sata port I use for the SSD so that it uses it as the boot drive ? Sounded like a few folks put their SSD (mind is a Sandisk 240G extreme) in port 0. Move the new hard drive to port 1 where it will hopefully not have heat sensor issues and get the fan control software. I don't have the pin-2-7 plug grounding part. Sounds like a few folks have done the port 0 connection and moved the hard drive to port 1.

Sound correct ?

ben2e

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2007
Anyone tried to add a real temperature sensor ?

Something like this ?

http://applecomponents.com/items/92...-optical/0000004398?pn=1&cmp=0172&per_page=30

I spoke to the local Apple Service Provider who said when they upgrade the drives on the 2011 iMac's, they cable in a sensor. It adds up as they charge $150 (on top of the $150 for the SSD install) but at least it works without any software help. If it were a cheap enough part, seems like a good solution.

kalleferm

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Denmark
I've got a 27" 2011. I plan to upgrade the drive and install an SSD. I tried this once before and will retry. I have the 13-22 female/femail sata cable and a Seagate Baracuda 3TB.

Does it matter which sata port I use for the SSD so that it uses it as the boot drive ? Sounded like a few folks put their SSD (mind is a Sandisk 240G extreme) in port 0. Move the new hard drive to port 1 where it will hopefully not have heat sensor issues and get the fan control software. I don't have the pin-2-7 plug grounding part. Sounds like a few folks have done the port 0 connection and moved the hard drive to port 1.

Sound correct ?

It doesn't matter which port you plug it into, I recently installed a Samsung 840 Pro in my iMac, I let the old WD harddrive remain in port 0 and plugged the SSD into the extra slot on the logicboard. Works like a charm! In order to avoid problem with heat sensors you should get the cable from OWC or iFixit.

http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/i...quired_items&utm_term=imac_intel_27"_emc_2429

rprice54

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
I went with the OWC tutorial on my 2010 iMac. They don't remove the HD or DVD drives. Less steps, less to screw up.

nsk11

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2006
From what i see in the video, the 2010 iMac is not compatible with the 13/22 cable. I must use the Y power splitter method
Is this correct?

iMac Mario

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Limassol Cyprus
Upgrade 27inch 3.4Ghz Mid 2011 iMac

Hi, Happy New Year all i have a mid 2011 27' 3.4Ghz 2GB graphics 16GB ram 1TB HD, I purchased the following OWC Kit's OWCDIYIM27HDD11 & OWCDIDIM27SSD11. I removed the factory fitted HD and with the help of the OWC DIY video, this cable OWCDIYIM27HDD11 , the single SATA cable that came off the original installation of the HD was not removed i just added the power cable mentioned above thus together i was covered for the one SSD HD, now the other SSD HD i purchased the following cable OWCDIDIM27SSD11 that is shown in the OWC video for installing behind the optical drive which i did NOT, and put both SSD’s were the factory fitted 1TB HD was on a custom made 2-1/2 Inch HD back plate adaptor the wires were long enough for me to carry out the above mentioned and NOT having to remove the optical drive and it’s fan and place the second SSD behind no need. NO power splitter was used because both mentioned kit’s above one is DATA & Power and the other is just Power with the thermal sensor, using SANDISK 480Gb 6.0 Gb/s my iMac fly’s and don’t listen that RAID0 is unstable i guess it is on windows but not a Mac :) using time machine or like i use Drobo you will be covered in case something goes wrong which i very much doubt, the job that was done works perfect 'it's Amazing like have a Ford Fiesta and traded it in for a Bugatti Veyron' also no fan issues and all is well.

Attachments

• IMG_0936.jpg
    IMG_0936.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 343
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 12.11.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 12.11.12 AM.png
    190.2 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Strange problem - got all the way to the end of my install and noticed there was no header for the power port:

gIDwt35wfGl1nbcH.large

I just had the pins (no plastic part as shown in the photo). The SATA port was there fine.

This is a brand new refurb - what are my chances of getting Apple to fix this? I technically installed the ssd by just plugging the plug over the metal pins but it won't be steady.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
No thermal connector on Mid 2011" 27"?

I have installed a SSD with HDD in a 27" iMac mid 2011, but it's impossible to locate a slot for the thermal connector!
Have never seen this before - either it's the old "external" sensor, OR the newer sensor integrated with the HDD. But at least there have been a connector for the temperature sensor…

It's the same iMac as in this pic:
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/FcIRZTlS1RucliAR.medium
(courtesy to iFixIt)
And sure, there are no temp sensor connectors on the picture...

Can someone please confirm that there are no temp sensor for the HDD in this iMac?

Last edited by a moderator:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My iMac is currently being upgraded at a repair shop as we speak. They've done an awful job though.

I took my machine in and said "I want the old HDD out, and these 2 new ones in" *hands over SSD and HDD*
Continuously having to clarify that yes, I don't want all 3 HDD drives in, just the new ones. I get a phone call later that day "the problem is we can't fit in all 3 drives". Urgh. I clarify again.
Then when it comes to picking the machine up they say they haven't done it yet, but are replacing the optical drive with the SSD as they didn't have a cable to put the SSD in the dedicated bay.

When I get it back I want to fix the mess they made (and to never use them again). What do I need to get the SSD in its own bay?

wkw

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2004
Eugene, OR
what an absolute nightmare.

I am planning on selling my 2011 imac soon because of the hassles involved with upgrading.

My iMac is currently being upgraded at a repair shop as we speak. They've done an awful job though.

I took my machine in and said "I want the old HDD out, and these 2 new ones in" *hands over SSD and HDD*
Continuously having to clarify that yes, I don't want all 3 HDD drives in, just the new ones. I get a phone call later that day "the problem is we can't fit in all 3 drives". Urgh. I clarify again.
Then when it comes to picking the machine up they say they haven't done it yet, but are replacing the optical drive with the SSD as they didn't have a cable to put the SSD in the dedicated bay.

When I get it back I want to fix the mess they made (and to never use them again). What do I need to get the SSD in its own bay?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
what an absolute nightmare.

I am planning on selling my 2011 imac soon because of the hassles involved with upgrading.

I might keep this as my final mac and just pair it with a desktop PC. Upgrading a HDD should not be this difficult and problematic with warranties, etc.

pdmateus

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2012
hi there!

I'm super confused...

Has anyone done this using this guide: http://www.btobey.com/learn/imac-ssd-install.php

If you look at the picture on step 6 the connector looks like it has two 'edges' (has the cable they point out) but when looking at the motherboard picture, for example this one: http://images.esellerpro.com/2131/I/117/809/Images 015.JPG

I can't find that port...Can anyone point me out? I'm probablt missing something here...

I also opened up mine and I'm able to see the Sata and sata power connectors (as shows in 2nd picture) but I'm missing the (15-20€) proprietary sata power cable

fromeout11

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
Connector

hi there!

I'm super confused...

Has anyone done this using this guide: http://www.btobey.com/learn/imac-ssd-install.php

If you look at the picture on step 6 the connector looks like it has two 'edges' (has the cable they point out) but when looking at the motherboard picture, for example this one: http://images.esellerpro.com/2131/I/117/809/Images 015.JPG

I can't find that port...Can anyone point me out? I'm probablt missing something here...

I also opened up mine and I'm able to see the Sata and sata power connectors (as shows in 2nd picture) but I'm missing the (15-20€) proprietary sata power cable

I'm thinking that mobo picture might be for the 21.5"...? The smaller one only has one SATA/power connector.

I think what I had to do was buy a splitter cable for the power... apple uses a proprietary connector on the mobo. Just buy a SATA power splitter and hook it up to the existing power cable.

pdmateus

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2012
Mine is the 21.5.

So you are saying the 21.5 doesn't have the that slot for the "13 PIN F to 22 PIN F SATA CABLE"?

Do you have a picture/link to the type of sata power splitter you mean? And where did you connected it?

On the HDD or the DVD drive or on the motherboard?

Something like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KmkwQ8lRL._SY300_.jpg

Where do you connect it? Do you replace the HDD power cable with this splitter for example, and the extra split to the SSD, or I simple add to the cable that connects to the HDD, and then the two ends to HDD and SSD??

Once again thank you!

kgian

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
On the 2011 21.5 imac you have to buy the special sata power cable that has a small 3 or 4 pin (can't quite remember) on the motherboard side and a regular sata power plug on the other side to connect to the ssd. You should not use a power splitter.

pdmateus

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2012
That's what I was afraid of... It looks there's a business around this, I'm unable to find the 4 or 5 pin sata power cable for imac on ebay, just like the ones on owc and ifixit (that cost around 40 and 60€ to ship to europe).

I'm probably looking at the wrong reference: 593-1294

This looks like it's returning the 7pin cable, similar to the one that connects the hdd.

Does any one know the reference of the 4/5 pin SATA power cable to add the extra ssd? Thanks!

UPDATE:
I think I finally got it: 593-1296 922-9862

15€ but it comes from china, so it will take much longer, does any one know of something within EU with similar price? Thanks!

Last edited:

kgian

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
UPDATE:
I think I finally got it: 593-1296 922-9862

15€ but it comes from china, so it will take much longer, does any one know of something within EU with similar price? Thanks!

Yes, that is the right cable. I got mine from china. Took about 15 days to arrive to Greece. I say just wait for it.

Aubergiste

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2018
I ran the hardware diagnostic tool and it came up with an error:

"4SNS/1/C0000008: TAOP--124"

Any ideas about that one?
I know it is should be too late for you (7 years after :) ). But it could help people getting this error running AHT and having the CPU/ODD fan running high.
This is an ambient temperature sensor error. It usually comes from some components damaged on the motherboard. These components are located near the ambient connector and are SMD ferrite (very small) that have seemingly been damaged when you pull out the ambient connector.
See this thread for resolution https://fr.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...ans+after+Dual+Drive+Kit+Upgrade#answer335650

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.