Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I'm very much used to Sony Vegas Pro 10. So, after I royally screwed up my Windows XP machine, I've had to use my Mac for everything I do. I don't have much of a problem with that, it's just not as quick as my PC is.

Thing is, I've been called on to do a school project now. I am required to create a video for this project. Since I prefer high-end software that is flexible to do my tasks, I'm very quick to make professional grade videos, since I used Sony Vegas.

But I don't have any 'professional grade' movie making software on my Mac. I only have iMovie '08. And since I'm used to Sony Vegas, I find that iMovie is very unflexible and doesn't have the features I need and like to use! I am very confused by how the text overlays work and am quite disappointed since I'm limited to only one video track on the timeline, whereas in Sony Vegas, I could have as many as I wanted and text overlay was simple. Heck, I think the text overlays are much more simple, more flexible, and less confusing in Windows Movie Maker!

What is the very, very best movie maker that will run on my PowerPC G4 Mac which runs Mac OS X 10.4.11? Price really isn't an issue, I just can't burn DVD's since the SuperDrive in my Mac killed itself and I can only use the Combo Drive.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
Depending on which G4 you have, you could probably get away with using Final Cut Pro 6. It required a later G4 to really work well. You can't buy it new any more but i imagine you could get a copy on eBay somewhere. It's certainly the best editor of its time for PowerPC (in my opinion). If you have an early G4, say a 500mhz one, maybe Final Cut Pro 5 would be better. They're not substantially different anyway if i recall.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Depending on which G4 you have, you could probably get away with using Final Cut Pro 6. It required a later G4 to really work well. You can't buy it new any more but i imagine you could get a copy on eBay somewhere. It's certainly the best editor of its time for PowerPC (in my opinion). If you have an early G4, say a 500mhz one, maybe Final Cut Pro 5 would be better. They're not substantially different anyway if i recall.

So then it should be fine since my Mac has two 1.25GHz G4s, right?

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
So then it should be fine since my Mac has two 1.25GHz G4s, right?

Yeah i believe the requirement for the whole of Final Cut Studio 2 (which included Motion and other more power hungry applications than Final Cut Pro 6) required a 1.25ghz G4 processor :) So you should be good to go :)

Here is the Apple requirements page for Final Cut Studio 2 though if you want to check the other specs required:

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP535

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Yeah i believe the requirement for the whole of Final Cut Studio 2 (which included Motion and other more power hungry applications than Final Cut Pro 6) required a 1.25ghz G4 processor :) So you should be good to go :)

Here is the Apple requirements page for Final Cut Studio 2 though if you want to check the other specs required:

Awesome, thanks! I can now make my Mac my backup YouTube/Movie Project machine!

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada

Thanks, I just ordered a copy from eBay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.