Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Where did you order your imac from?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
I just ordered mine from a 3rd. party Authorized Apple Reseller.

It saved me money in the following ways:

No Tax (about $184.86)

Recycle Fee that Apple charges ($8.00)

Apple Care ($47.00) difference between Apples Charge and Apple Reseller.

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
So far we have seen almost 10:1 orders from the Apple Store rather that save some money and order from an Authorized Apple relseller such as BH PHOTO ect.

Dr FranknFurter

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
Cambridge UK
I guess being a Mac forum the percentage of enthusiats / fanboys etc is much higher and would tend to favour buying direct rather than saving a few pounds at resellers. I would guess the average buyers would be more even percentage wise.

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
I guess being a Mac forum the percentage of enthusiats / fanboys etc is much higher and would tend to favour buying direct rather than saving a few pounds at resellers. I would guess the average buyers would be more even percentage wise.

My guess is that many are young and/or don't know how to make their purchase less expensive.

Dr FranknFurter

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
Cambridge UK
Yeah I brought mine through online Applestore as I get the Uni discount.

----------

But I think a lot of people here in the UK buy from Apple because the aftersales and returns are so good. Unlike the states some of our retailers have very questionable ethics when things go wrong.

signal4

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
I pre ordered mine from MacMall on the 28th of Nov. and starting to regret it... Still says back ordered and they have been giving me a complete run around on when they are actually going to ship it.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I pre ordered mine from MacMall on the 28th of Nov. and starting to regret it... Still says back ordered and they have been giving me a complete run around on when they are actually going to ship it.

Me too. I talked to some chick on the phone she said they won't even get them in til mid jan... Who knows when they will ship them...

SSWilson

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
I just ordered mine from a 3rd. party Authorized Apple Reseller.

It saved me money in the following ways:

No Tax (about $184.86)

Recycle Fee that Apple charges ($8.00)

Apple Care ($47.00) difference between Apples Charge and Apple Reseller.

Went with the Apple online store due to 0% interest for 18 months. I have no recycling fee and my taxes are considerably less than yours which should be paid regardless of where the computer is purchased. I will buy Apple Care later at a discount. Best of all, I have my iMac now.

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Best deals (for non-students) are at the online camera/electronics stores in New York like BH Photo, etc because even if there is no discount on the computer, you get a big discount on Applecare and pay no sales tax or shipping fee.

But young people are not likely to be familiar with these stores and may not have trust / confidence in them. I have great confidence after they shipped me a big 46" high def TV that was expertly double boxed to prevent damage, plus camcorder, still camera, binoculars, photo memory cards, etc.

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
...and my taxes are considerably less than yours ...

Ah....I did not pay any sales tax as stated in my post

----------

Best deals (for non-students) are at the online camera/electronics stores in New York like BH Photo, etc because even if there is no discount on the computer, you get a big discount on Applecare and pay no sales tax or shipping fee.

But young people are not likely to be familiar with these stores and may not have trust / confidence in them. I have great confidence after they shipped me a big 46" high def TV that was expertly double boxed to prevent damage, plus camcorder, still camera, binoculars, photo memory cards, etc.

Exactly correct

Also, as some time goes by, you will see their imacs come down in price just like they priced them with the last generation on imacs. And not only for apple care. If need other things to go along with the computer such as a trackpad or supper drive or other drive or software, it is much less expensive that purchasing the same items from apple.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Purchased from Apple online as I wanted BTO and had already been waiting since February. Our local Apple Premium reseller couldn't give me an eta so even if i had saved a few quid i would still have ordered from Apple. And on the other apple products there pricing is just the same.

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Purchased from Apple online as I wanted BTO and had already been waiting since February. Our local Apple Premium reseller couldn't give me an eta so even if i had saved a few quid i would still have ordered from Apple. And on the other apple products there pricing is just the same.

Most of our apple resellers have lower prices on "the other apple products"

Dillus

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Ordered mine from a third party reseller as well. Sort of scared now that I'll be waiting forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.