Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BluePhoenixRa

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
That is a great point. The current iphone is perfect for you. It is selling millions and will be if not already the best selling smart phone. But you cannot deny how many larger screen smart phones people are buying. I think Apple will eventually release a larger screen iPhone just because the market is demanding it. But why not release 2 iphones? One with the current screen size and another with a larger screen size? We have 2 sizes of iPads.....why not 2 sizes of iPhones?

You have a good point there! There's certainly market for a larger iPhone, and they could make the screen size like they did with the iPad and iPad mini I guess, then no need to make new apps for each of the different phone sizes. But I'm sure no one would like to get their phones called "iPhone mini"..=P

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I've actually switched from a 4S to a t-mobile Galaxy S II. While I definitely miss iOS, Jellybean has been fairly good. I'd still switch back to Apple as soon as they release a 4.5+ inch phone. I guess I'll never quite understand why Apple can't simply produce a phone to be used by people preferring a single handed device, in addition to a phone that serves everybody else by having a larger screen. Sorry Apple. To me, the perfect balance between size and functionality is at the 4.52" mark.

It use to be said that 4" was the perfect balance. For folks like myself the current version is great. Large enough to make it eye pleasing and a bit more functional yet small enough to still be a phone that easily transported. Whew I need something more the mini serves this purpose and if I need to sit for hours doing work the Mac is where I go.

While the screens size is nice on he 4.5-5.5 phones its a bit much to carry around. For those that want to combine or don't have the money for 2 devices these are perfect for them.

Because making two is creating a lot of fragmentation?

There's a fragmentation right now with the 5. Apple once again needs to set the size for the next four years. The trend from Android is 4.5. If they do this they need to come with it on the 5S and stick with it. Personally I think 4 is great for a phone and let the tablet market stat for the rest. You have to think. Next year they'll be the mini 2 and minis will be going for $229 and $150 on Craigslist. iPhone 5 will be going for $99 on contract. So for a little more than the price of the Galaxy Note2 or a iPad mini right now you can have two devices. A phone and a tablet. That's going to apeal to a lot of people. A lot of people that are looking to combine the two because of cost. Seems to me Apple has set themselves up pretty well and will dictate how the market goes for a few more years.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

i just submitted a feedback telling apple how pissed i am with the small iphone 5 screen.... all of you guys should do the same, here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Well then your SOL.

damie45

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I think if apple release a 4.5+" iPhone, it would sell more than the current version. Even the guys that are claiming that 4" is the sweet spot would convert. They r probably the same one that was saying that 3.5" is perfect. The main reason why people stick to the iPhone is because of iOS, at least that's the only reason I stayed.
Times r changing, the main use of cellphones is not for making calls anymore. The majority use them as gaming devices, texting, browsing the web.... Last month I only used 27 mins for talking. I'm no psychic but I foresee the market for larger screen taking over.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Motorola Razr M.

4.82 x 2.39 x .33 w/ a 4.3" screen.

Don't expect Samsung to go back in time and release a 4" screen device when the form factor can have a bigger screen.

Soon we'll be hearing about how the iPhone has the perfect amount of bezel.

That would be nice if I was on Verizon. I'm on AT&T. That's literally the only decent phone that's not enormous. I'm going to end up getting an SGSIII, but I'm still pissed about the ridiculous form factor.

The reason I left Android and back to Apple is for the screen. I hate these phablet phones. The Note 2 is a joke, I mean, hell, a freaking kids show made fun of it, and the S3 is alright, but still, too big. I'll use my Nexus 7 for any intensive surfing/video watching. I just don't understand what people's fascination is with bigger phones, like they're compensating or something. I know SO MANY people who don't even want to switch from the 4S to the 5 because they don't want a phone that is 4"! I had a 4.3" phone and I liked it, but that is by far the biggest phone I'll ever get. They won't add another iPhone, because they don't want damning fragmentation like Android, this coming from an Android fan.

Agreed. I'd keep the 4S if it weren't for the fact that AT&T's short attention span got distracted from ever fixing 3G and has moved on to 4G LTE, and Apple's recent lack of innovation compared to Google and Android.

kadillac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
Well, I love the RAZR M and I'd have bought if it was on AT&T. The iPhone has a bit too much bezel. But I will never own a phone bigger than 4.3". I'm cool with the size of the iPhone, it's ideal for most customers. Not to mention using my Nexus 7 is aggravating after using my iPhone.

kadillac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
I'm really tired of the Samsung douchers on here. There's a reason why they're known as the great imitator.

Out of all the Android manufacturers, Samsung is by far the worst.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Max I would go is 4.3", if apple could keep the overall phone the exact same size as it is now.
I did not realize how important one handed use is until I tried a 4.7" android phone.

I value one-handed use over a larger screen. 4" is perfect right now and I'm fine with it.

I'm not fine with other parts of the phone, but the size, yes it's fine.

At this point, Apple would do well to release two sizes of the iphone. Kind of like the iphone mini size, which could be 3.5" and then perhaps a 4.3" size.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Played with a iPhone 5 for the third time yesterday. and it really dawned on me that it is indeed a longer iPhone 4S.

4.8" is good for me, so I'm considering a SIII soon. Maybe the SIV when it comes out as well.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Played with a iPhone 5 for the third time yesterday. and it really dawned on me that it is indeed a longer iPhone 4S.

4.8" is good for me, so I'm considering a SIII soon. Maybe the SIV when it comes out as well.

I helped set up an S3 today, and that extra screen real estate was pretty luxurious. Gotta say, I really hope a 4.8" iPhone is in the works.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I helped set up an S3 today, and that extra screen real estate was pretty luxurious. Gotta say, I really hope a 4.8" iPhone is in the works.

Nah, it isn't. Apple won't increase the screen size for a few more decades. That's why I'm going Samsung the next time I change my phone. :)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
What's the next screen size Apple can go so that their apps can simply double up on the pixels and all the apps will fit perfectly? What's that whole process called? Scaling?

They did it with the iPad Mini. And someone over at the Verge forums predicted the 4" size using math long before the iPhone 5 was revealed.

What's the math for the next natural size up after 4"?

That'll be your next redesigned iPhone screen size, it's safe to presume...

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007

Most people get that the first time they hold one ;)
If I could port IOS onto my S3 that would be the perfect phone for me.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Most people get that the first time they hold one ;)
If I could port IOS onto my S3 that would be the perfect phone for me.

Haha, not me. I want to migrate to Android. iOS's features every major software update is becoming more and more simple and un-innovative. Just my preference.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
You have a good point there! There's certainly market for a larger iPhone, and they could make the screen size like they did with the iPad and iPad mini I guess, then no need to make new apps for each of the different phone sizes. But I'm sure no one would like to get their phones called "iPhone mini"..=P

Why the hell would it be called iphone mini? Just call it iphone 4" and 5" ffs

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I've actually switched from a 4S to a t-mobile Galaxy S II. While I definitely miss iOS, Jellybean has been fairly good. I'd still switch back to Apple as soon as they release a 4.5+ inch phone. I guess I'll never quite understand why Apple can't simply produce a phone to be used by people preferring a single handed device, in addition to a phone that serves everybody else by having a larger screen. Sorry Apple. To me, the perfect balance between size and functionality is at the 4.52" mark.

I'm guessing its the same reason Lexus doesn't make red cars. There are people that would buy them, but it's probably not enough to bother with. I personally wouldn't mind a Galaxy S2-size iPhone, but I would be fine with the iPhone 5. If I need a bigger screen, I use my iPad.

johnstanley

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
USA
I agree that the size of the iPhone 5 is a little disappointing. I had used a HTC XL and Galaxy S3 and they really are a joy to use. My thumbs not big enough to use the iPhone 5 with one hand. I don't regret buying it though! :)

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
If I need a bigger screen, I use my iPad.
So there's no room for compromise between the iPhone and a 10" screen? Like maybe a very reasonable 4.3 or 4.5?

You're also missing the fact that most people don't have both, so their phone is all they've got to work with and that's why larger screen phones are so popular. Most people can only afford the phone. It's very short sighted to just say "you want a bigger screen, get an iPad" which is the rule of thumb around here.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You mean like the just released Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini with 4" screen?

That won't happen. ;)

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i8190_galaxy_s_iii_mini-5033.php

This is a joke right? The S3 mini is NOT a flagship device. That's like saying the iPad Mini is just a small version of the iPad 4.

Don't think I forgot about the S3 Mini either. AT&T has 4-5 4" Samsung phone currently available, but they are all low end to mid phones.

That's why I said don't expect Samsung to go back in time.....

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
So there's no room for compromise between the iPhone and a 10" screen? Like maybe a very reasonable 4.3 or 4.5?

You're also missing the fact that most people don't have both, so their phone is all they've got to work with and that's why larger screen phones are so popular. Most people can only afford the phone. It's very short sighted to just say "you want a bigger screen, get an iPad" which is the rule of thumb around here.

Um, this is Apple, premium manufacturer extraordinaire.

If you "can't afford both" and "need a compromise" there are plenty of manufacturers out there producing devices with a vast array of different screen sizes.

Apple is primarily focused on consumers with money to burn, that's just the way it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.