Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:55 AM   #51
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalhen View Post
Folks, here's my live coverage from today: http://blog.henry.im/post/3790292486...-store-opening

I was doing a story for the Shanghaiist. Lots of fun!
heh heh, look like you get some excellent positions in taking some of the pictures... congrat.. It looks like a lot of fun...
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:38 AM   #52
Pastormac1usa
macrumors newbie

Just left the Rockaway store. Was there at 7:01. By 7:08 the first purchase had been made by a customer; a 27" iMac. Much cheering by both employees & guests. As a steady visitor since the '04 opening, Retail finally got it right with the expanded space. The old space was not much more than a broom closet and really made it difficult for a quality buying experience.
Pastormac1usa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:30 AM   #53
apple-win
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukernik View Post
YouTube: video
No kidding, it's a cult! Hong Kong youngsters are rich!

There are so many red T-shirt workers in the opening. Is it staged? Are they all full-time Apple employees?

When I bought my new 2012 iMAc the first hour available in my local Apple store. I saw no customers line up outside. People inside the store are middle-aged, just checking the Apple products. The Apple workers did not cheer me up, they just said thank you after I paid the bill. I did not get a beautiful Apple plastic bag because the iMac box is too big to fit in. Overall it's not an exciting shopping experience, I feel that I was shopping at super market.
apple-win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:43 AM   #54
johnnyturbouk
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
It looks like every other Apple store in every shopping mall in every city everywhere.

Meh.
yes but with 3 floors, think of all that extra magic packed inside!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:50 AM   #55
digitalhen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukernik View Post
YouTube: video
This guy was filming this whole thing on his iPhone - pretty impressive.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:20 PM   #56
kockgunner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalhen View Post
Folks, here's my live coverage from today: http://blog.henry.im/post/3790292486...-store-opening

I was doing a story for the Shanghaiist. Lots of fun!
Nice!

It's good Hong Kong finally has real Apple Stores. Before they would have kiosks like we do in Best Buy, but if you wanted a repair, I had to go to a sullen authorized repair place hidden somewhere in an office building. It looked like a large doctors room with rows of chairs except it was eerily quiet. When it was your turn you just sat at desk and told your computer problems in front of all the other customers who were facing you. It was awkward and funny at the same time.

They charged me $70 US to just check my computer. When I picked up my computer the next day they couldn't do anything about it which is fine, but they just read back what I told them verbatim and there was no sign of activity on my computer, so I'm pretty sure they didn't even check my computer.

When I got back to Canada, Apple replaced my logic board and bottom case for free 2 months after warranty. That's the difference between an authorized repairer and a real Apple Store.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:00 PM   #57
lanceh5
macrumors member

The Apple store in Reno needs to be replaced. It is too small with many shoppers. A busy crowded store.
lanceh5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:17 PM   #58
trunten
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
It looks like every other Apple store in every shopping mall in every city everywhere.

Meh.
Really? Most shopping mall store are duller than this imo.

edit. eg:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stdavids2_hero.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	383813  

Last edited by trunten; Dec 15, 2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: adding pic
trunten is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:03 PM   #59
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by kockgunner View Post
Nice!

It's good Hong Kong finally has real Apple Stores. Before they would have kiosks like we do in Best Buy, but if you wanted a repair, I had to go to a sullen authorized repair place hidden somewhere in an office building. It looked like a large doctors room with rows of chairs except it was eerily quiet. When it was your turn you just sat at desk and told your computer problems in front of all the other customers who were facing you. It was awkward and funny at the same time.

They charged me $70 US to just check my computer. When I picked up my computer the next day they couldn't do anything about it which is fine, but they just read back what I told them verbatim and there was no sign of activity on my computer, so I'm pretty sure they didn't even check my computer.

When I got back to Canada, Apple replaced my logic board and bottom case for free 2 months after warranty. That's the difference between an authorized repairer and a real Apple Store.
Hong Kong has 3 Apple Stores now. The first one is in IFC, and then Festival Walk (a shopping mall with a lot of mainland Chinese)
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:48 PM   #60
cryingrobot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-win View Post
Apple over expands its retail outlets in Hong Kong. It's a gambling.

Hong Kong is a small city with very good subway system. It does not need two giant Apple flagship stores which locate in the very expensive downtown area. The rent is very very expensive.

For that size of store area, I would rather run a department store for Italian fasions, because Apple does not have a big product portfolio. It is a waste to use the store for an Apple classroom or for people killing time during lunch hour.

Another thing, I'm not sure if Apple authorized dealers in Hong Kong would be happy about Apple is eating their lunch.
It is close to their other store and Kowloon would have been a better place but Causeway Bay is one of the premier retail locations in the world. Its currently supporting by my count a half dozen resellers in walking distance. Its a better location than the IFC store.

I have no sympathy for the resellers. They wont display the new models even when they are in stock so people will buy the old line.
cryingrobot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:56 AM   #61
zhenlek
macrumors newbie

[QUOTE=apple-win;16495271]

I know Apple is very rich, it can buy or rent all the business properties in Hong Kong downtown financial district. But wasting money is not a good business practice.[COLOR="#808080"]

Or maybe Apple should open a store in a rundown Hong Kong ghetto infested with street thugs...
zhenlek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:28 PM   #62
singe
macrumors newbie

Even the ghetto would cost buck$ in rental in HK!

Hong Kong Tops New York as Most Expensive Retail Location
Hong Kong ended New York’s 11-year reign as the home of the world’s most expensive district for retailers as luxury-brand companies competed for space to sell goods to mainland Chinese tourists.

Image : haruka_c
via instagram: http://instagram.com/p/TQIXHhTVJP/

Last edited by singe; Dec 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: .
singe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:53 PM   #63
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe View Post
Thumb resize.
The central Apple image doesn't seem to have the "bite" out of it, but the reflection to the right does....

Odd lighting.
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:08 AM   #64
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
The central Apple image doesn't seem to have the "bite" out of it, but the reflection to the right does....

Odd lighting.
It may be wrong Photoshop work

My picture is fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2330.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	384058  

Last edited by haruhiko; Dec 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
haruhiko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:42 PM   #65
i0Nic
macrumors 65816

It looks a lot like Sydney's flagship Apple store on George St.

Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:07 PM   #66
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by i0Nic View Post
It looks a lot like Sydney's flagship Apple store on George St.

Yes, they all look like Apple stores.

That's "branding".
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:43 AM   #67
i0Nic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
Yes, they all look like Apple stores.

That's "branding".
This one in particularly looks like the Sydney store in terms of the size, shape, layout and facade. Obviously they all look alike, especially the smaller ones in malls, but I think there's an uncanny similarity here between two large flagships.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion