Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
So I have had the card for about 24 hours. So far my experience is really good. I am running 10.8.2 with the latest drivers from nvidia. In ML the card runs flawlessly. Using Photoshop, illustrator, Final cut, and aperture the card doesn't even break a sweat. The 5770 even at idle was warm. The 670 is cool as can be even being pushed.

I ran some test in win 8 and BF 3 plays ultra at 1440p on my Apple 27". Solidworks runs amazingly. Fan does ramp up when playing BF but it's not a big deal. Gota cool the beast.

One complaint though, When I turn off the computer and turn it on, not restart the expansion slot fan runs around 1500 to 2000 rpm and so does the power supply fan. I found by stressing the video card like playing steam or something the fans return to normal operation. Waking from sleep the fans are ok and restarting from win to osx is ok.

Here are some pictures of the card.

Afmox.jpg

MFyrw.jpg

3auP1.jpg

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
I have this card too, well the ftw version. You can set up a fan curve with evga Precision software, the stock fan curve tends to wait until it gets pretty hot and then revs up, setting up with something like 1% fan per 1c gets considerably lower temps in my experience.

It's a great card, but could do a little better at The Witcher 2 @ 1440p Ultra (no ubersampling) but still around 40-50fps though so is playable, I knock a few settings down though to hold 60.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
I have this card too, well the ftw version. You can set up a fan curve with evga Precision software, the stock fan curve tends to wait until it gets pretty hot and then revs up, setting up with something like 1% fan per 1c gets considerably lower temps in my experience.

It's a great card, but could do a little better at The Witcher 2 @ 1440p Ultra (no ubersampling) but still around 40-50fps though so is playable, I knock a few settings down though to hold 60.

Cool Ill have to check that program out. Thanks!

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Could I put one of these in my Mac Pro 3,1? Would I need adapters for power or are they standard?

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Do a search for "Realhack 3.5". It does a simple reg edit that will enable RealView graphics within Solidworks for your card. Very nice..... Plus, it's free.

:)

got it! :) love that hack. At school we have 10k dell machines with quadro 6000 video cards and this hack allows it on any card. Haha I had it on my 5770 and even on my gt330 macbook pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.