Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeicaM8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
West Michigan
Hi,
I am trying Stellar Phoenix to see if it can rescue both the files & their file organization on a drive I accidentally formatted. The app seems like it is fully capable of doing exactly that and I've been told that is a viable outcome.

Good:The program has found All The Files which exist on the drive!!
Bad&Ugly: the program seems to want to recover them by randomly distributing them amongst 11,000 folders!!
(Yes I said randomly amongst eleven thousand folders. Yikes.)

Could someone point me to how to confirm with this app that I can retrieve my data in an organized manner. I don't want to spend 99clams to get what (for me) is an utterly unusable and unworkable gob of folders and files. The data involved isn't earth shattering to lose. I've decided it's worth $$ to fix, but not worth $$ to gamble on getting it fixed. My OS, my user folder, and my Photo Drives are safe.

Any input, link, advice, etc most welcome. :)

Thx - Richard in Michigan

BackGround: I keep my photo archives backed up in depth and had purchased and tested a new drive to start backing up the lesser stuff just as robustly, however in the process I formatted the wrong *explitive* drive. The drive is untouched since other than scans for file recovery research/attempts.

Kudos: Stellar Phoenix is only one which offered getting my File Names Back, too!

Last edited:

Edie Brickell

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
I am assuming that you are doing deleted file recovery or photo recovery here which is done on signature basis. I would suggest to perform quick recovery or advance recovery which will recover data as per file structure and organised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.