Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Joe needs help
macrumors newbie

I can't log into my mac mini

My mac mini has lines across the log in screen and won't let me log in. It freezes up when I click on my account. I can log into safe mode and tried several things but the problem persists. I am currently trying to reload the OS but it froze with the same problems on the language selection screen after restarting with the original install disk from safe mode. Dose anyone have any ideas on what to do?
Joe needs help is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Macclone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe needs help View Post
My mac mini has lines across the log in screen and won't let me log in. It freezes up when I click on my account. I can log into safe mode and tried several things but the problem persists. I am currently trying to reload the OS but it froze with the same problems on the language selection screen after restarting with the original install disk from safe mode. Dose anyone have any ideas on what to do?
Buy a new one.
Macclone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Joe needs help
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macclone View Post
Buy a new one.
I know it's shocking but that's not helpful. Thanks though for letting the rest of us know the extent of your wisdom.
Joe needs help is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:51 PM   #4
xlii
macrumors 68000

Try using the original install disk and instead of booting from it, try to run disk utility from it. Use disk utility to check your hdd for errors. If your hdd is good... I'm kind of stuck as to what to do. If your hdd is bad you could try to replace it if you have another one at hand. Obviously if your machine is still under apple care that would be where to go for a fix.

If you can't re-install the OS it's a 90% chance that it is either the hdd or the motherboard and if it's too old for applecare then it might be time for a new one.
xlii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:32 PM   #5
Macclone
Banned

Quote:
I know it's shocking but that's not helpful. Thanks though for letting the rest of us know the extent of your wisdom.
Can you deny that it would fix the problem? Since you gave no details, one could assume it was old and had a failing GPU. Shocking, but it is not helpful to ask without ample info.
Macclone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:26 AM   #6
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
it froze with the same problems on the language selection screen after restarting with the original install disk from safe mode.
If the installer disk won't load, then that points to a hardware problem.
However, if you can boot up into Safe Mode, then that merely suggests that you've added or altered some System components, so you should be able to fix that.

What exact Mac model, and what OS version?

If it is a hardware problem, it is possible that it could be repaired, rather than simply tossing it on the landfill and buying a new one. Sadly, the cost of repair may be prohibitive, depending on the model and what's needed.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:58 AM   #7
northernbaldy
macrumors 6502a

Book an appointment at your closest apple store
They can run a hardware test for you

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini