Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F1 Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2012
Germany
If most "consumers" won't notice the difference, most "gamers" don't use Macs and most "pros" use discrete graphics anyway... surely this is fairly by-the-by.

superhrixenz

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2012
I'm glad they still keep the i3,i5 and i7 naming system. That won't make my Sandy Bridge i7 processor looks ancient.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Timely Updates?

Will Apple computers get the new chips before xmas season 2015? How old are the chips in the Mac Pro?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Will Apple computers get the new chips before xmas season 2015? How old are the chips in the Mac Pro?

Yes. Haswell will likely have fully filtered out to apple products in all variants by end of 2014, not 2015. The chips in the mac pro are over 2 years old now.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Surprised there's no six core option, particularly since there are already plenty of six core i7 available (maybe even 8?).

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Haswell is more interesting as a mobile part. The integrated GPU is reported to have double the performance of the current HD Graphics 4000 GPU.

The HD Graphics 4000 GPU is being used on the MBAir, MBPRo, MBPro with Retina Display and Mac mini.

Haswell would become interesting as a desktop part if Apple started using Haswell-E (enthusiast chip) on the iMac. Unlikely for technical, power, thermal and pricing reasons.

Any news whether Haswell desktop/mobile parts will support more than 32GB of memory?

Ivy Bridge was a more compelling part for USB 3 and 4K resolution.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Haswell is more interesting as a mobile part. The integrated GPU is reported to have double the performance of the current HD Graphics 4000 GPU.

The HD Graphics 4000 GPU is being used on the MBAir, MBPRo, MBPro with Retina Display and Mac mini.

Haswell would become interesting as a desktop part if Apple started using Haswell-E (enthusiast chip) on the iMac. Unlikely for technical, power, thermal and pricing reasons.

Any news whether Haswell desktop/mobile parts will support more than 32GB of memory?

Ivy Bridge was a more compelling part for USB 3 and 4K resolution.

No need to be reported. When you double your EUs, you double your performance assuming you aren't bandwidth starved.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
If these are low power enough to put into tablets, that would be awesome to have a tablet that could push 3GHz at times.
The Intel Y Mobile series is now at 10 W (7W targetable). It's based on Ivy Bridge but you are not going to even hit the 2 GHz territory. Expect it in January 2013.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
The Intel Y Mobile series is now at 10 W (7W targetable). It's based on Ivy Bridge but you are not going to even hit the 2 GHz territory. Expect it in January 2013.

And GHz is just a number anyway. More GHz means a higher core voltage usually, and power increases with square of V so that's not a good trade at all. Of course, you don't want too much silicon either, so you compromise between frequency and amount of silicon to hit your performance target. Currently that frequency is 1-2 GHz. Of course, the layman can't just look at a number going up to tell that it's a better performer.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
And GHz is just a number anyway. More GHz means a higher core voltage usually, and power increases with square of V so that's not a good trade at all. Of course, you don't want too much silicon either, so you compromise between frequency and amount of silicon to hit your performance target. Currently that frequency is 1-2 GHz. Of course, the layman can't just look at a number going up to tell that it's a better performer.
I'm more interested in the feature set and cores more than just raw clock speed. I was really happy when Intel move the Celeron and Pentium brands to all dual core from single core. The Pentium Dual Core is just shy of breaking 3.0 GHz now.

http://www.madboxpc.com/intel-lanzara-cpus-intel-core-ivy-bridge-de-13w-y-10w-en-el-2013/

On the mobile front you are seeing entry level ULV dual cores too. I would rather have one of those instead of Atom.

mganai

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
Surprised there's no six core option, particularly since there are already plenty of six core i7 available (maybe even 8?).

There are only a handful of 6 core i7 models: 970, 980(x), 990x, 3930K, 3960X and 3970X. And half of those are Extreme Edition models.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
For those interested, here's a good article on what the competing minds think is next for fabs: http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4403320/Fur-flies-over-FinFETs-and-future-in-IEDM-panel?

The interesting part is that most seem to agree the reason Intel's finfets on 22nm are so lackluster is that they were forced to dope the fins, which was suboptimal. This means Haswell would be plagued by the same issues unless Intel completely revamps their 22nm process. It seems more likely that 14nm will give us a mature FinFET process form Intel, which won't happen until Broadwell in 2014-2015.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
These are quad-core standard. I'm sure their Xeon line will go hexacore and probably even octocore.

Endswell (kidding)

It's broadwell.

Nope. They've got 4 and 6, not 8.

----------

I just ordered a $6,504.00 CDN iMac with the following specs

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
768GB Flash Storage
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse
Promise Pegasus 12TB (6x2TB) R6 RAID System

Will Haswell make much of difference for my needs? I use my computer for facebook, email, twitter and listening to iTunes. I occasionally edit photos in iPhoto from my iphone.

It will, yes.
Just kidding :)

I'm srs

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
GT3 is going to be on a special die. I do not believe it will be on any quad core, desktop or mobile, but it will be targeted for a ULV and mobile dual core platforms.

Interesting since I don't want to spend too much anyway so if it is on the base model mini, that will work out just fine.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Interesting since I don't want to spend too much anyway so if it is on the base model mini, that will work out just fine.
That will depend more on Apple's decisions. The GT3 mobile processors are going to be specialty dies with 2C/4T and then the massive IGP package. Ultrabooks are more than likely the main target along with meeting the ULV envelope. I doubt their ULV single chip solution is going to be GT3.

Haswell is going to introduce Intel's own ULV SoC solution taking the PCH onto the processors package. So you will have the CPU, IGP, and PCH for thin/light notebooks on a single package instead of two chips like currently.

The Intel HD 4600 is going to be everywhere else as you can see.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

You're looking at the wrong i7s. Blame intel for their naming conventions. Some of the 6 core i7s are Sandy Bridge E using an LGA2011 socket. The EP types sometimes make it out as "extreme edition" i7s. There are no 8 core i7s. You can only purchase such a thing in Xeons.

IMO that's exactly what they'll do.

It would then be shared with the imac. They currently use one of the fastest in the imac. It's either the fastest or second fastest in the top model, with little difference either way. They'd kill the mac pro line rather than do that. It would give them a single mac pro model covering a smaller customer base. Typically with products like this, the base models cover the development costs due to volume. The 12 core machines carry high margins and would essentially produce the profit for the line. Your business model makes no sense as it just brings us back to the headless imac. I'm sure a number of people would buy that, but it wouldn't really extend the health of the line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.