Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corey407woc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
On wifi iphone weather app will update fine but when i search for cities or try to update the weather on 3g with iphone 4s says update failed or no results found driving me crazy

corey407woc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
yes every other app works fine just weather wont update or locate cities over 3g data or edge data

Jazzandmetal?

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Virginia
Same problem.

Then I stood next to someone with another iPhone 5 and theres was fine. Then mine would find a city.....once. Now it won't do it anymore.

Everyone else here at my job that has a 4s or 5 has no issues.

I have reset as a new phone and reset settings. No fix.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I've been having trouble with the weather app as well. It almost never updates, I didn't test wifi with it.

Shellbo6901

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
FL
Mine has been great until about 4 days ago, the current location was saying update failed and the others were updating. The next day I went to mine and all of the cities I had in there were gone. I went to go add them back and they all say location can not be found. Now I only can see current location and half of the time it updates, but only randomly. I thought maybe it was something with yahoo weather but their website seems to not be having any problems, so it doesn't seem like it

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Did anyone find a solution to this issue? I got my iPhone 5 a couple days ago and am having this issue. The weather app and notification center widget update fine over wifi but won't update or find new cities over cellular. I've tried everything I can think of short of a restore and was hoping to find another solution before taking such a drastic step.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Did anyone find a solution to this issue? I got my iPhone 5 a couple days ago and am having this issue. The weather app and notification center widget update fine over wifi but won't update or find new cities over cellular. I've tried everything I can think of short of a restore and was hoping to find another solution before taking such a drastic step.

I think this is just an issue on Apple's part. The weather app won't update over cellular on both my 4S and 5.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I've been having this issue for a week or two, it says update failed for some of my cities but does update others, and whenever I try to search for a new location it says "no location found." Hope they fix this soon!

kazakh

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
Jeez, i thought i was the only one. Mine does exactly the same thing.

Is anyone here JB? I wonder if that could be the cause? But then it did work fine for me right after the JB, but a day later it stops.

kazakh

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
crap. drives me nuts. I already restored and JB'ed the phone 5 times - thinking thats the cause, and still no luck. I wonder if its something else on the servers somewhere?

but are you guys all on ios 6? I'm on 5.1.1

Jeff355

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
Nebraska
Same here!
Mine will update only major cities but not smaller towns over cell data, over wifi it works perfectly.
I'm running a jail broken att iPhone 4s on 5.1.1
I've tried resetting all settings, network settings, restart, hard restart, re-synced with the pc, nothing has worked, been having this problem for over a month now.
Somehow I doubt the jailbreak is responsible, everything else works fine over cell data.
Don't wanna restore and update since I'm jailbroken.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
It's strange this haven't gotten more attention, enough people are having issues. Does anyone know of any official cases open with Apple about this issue? I would think they are aware of it by now, but I haven't heard anything.

kaptnron

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
I fixed mine by going to Settings>Notifications and removed Weather Widget from In Notification Center to Not in Notification Center. Updates on 3G/4G now.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I fixed mine by going to Settings>Notifications and removed Weather Widget from In Notification Center to Not in Notification Center. Updates on 3G/4G now.

I don't have the weather widget in NC, but I tried adding and removing it, still doesn't work for me.

fortetfn

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
The same problem with my iphone 5. I tried everything the forum members suggested. I can't even add cities if its not connected to wifi.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Same issue here. Has been going on for quite a while actually.
It's only certain cities though. For example, Baltimore updates fine but my actual city about 10 miles north will not update unless on WiFi

k9buddyjoey

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
Hello everyone,
I would like to take a minute to throw in my 2 cents worth.
I too have been experiencing this exact problem since updating to ios 6.
Both on an iPhone 4 as well as a brand new iPhone 5, each on the AT&T network.
The native weather app will update fine using WiFi...but updates fail when using 4G/LTE.
I work for an airline so I travel all over the place. The situation is the same no matter what city I am in.
I have encountered other people with the same issue who were completely unaware of it because when the weather app is launched over 4G/LTE, the window will display the correct time just under the city name, but most people fail to notice that at the very bottom of the window, it says "update failed" and the time of last successful update (over wifi).
Here is what I have done to try an resolve this issue, but without success:

1. Completely shut down phone, and reboot.
2. Hard reset.
3. Toggle on/off Airplane mode.
4. Reset Network settings.
5. Reset all settings.
6. Restore thru iTunes.

Out of curiosity, I took a little trip over to my local AT&T store to see what they had to say.
When I interrupted the employee, who was TEXTING, and I asked her if anyone had reported any problems with the iPhone's weather app, she looked thru me, not at me, and asked what weather app? I repeated the question and she said, "Oh, I never use that". Another employee who overheard the conversation came over and told me that I needed to update to the latest software...that being ios 6.0.2. Now, keep in mind, this was 2 weeks ago and I still had my old iPhone 4. ios 6.0.2 was only issued for users of the iPhone 5 and iPad mini...which I told the employee. He said that I needed to go to the Apple Store and have a Genius PUSH ios 6.0.2 to my iPhone 4....
Yep, that is what he said.
Then, I said, let's go over to YOUR display model and check out the situation there...we did. I turned their phone's Wifi off so that it was on the 4G/LTE network...launched the weather app and sure enough...the update failed.
I showed it to him, and he said nothing.
So, I here I am now with a brand new iPhone 5, running ios 6.0.2 and I have the same issue.
2 different phones...exact same issue.
All other apps on my phone work perfectly using 4G/LTE. Even another weather app that I got from the App store. But that is not the point here.
It would be like an airline ordering a brand new 787 aircraft and being told,
"Yeah, it flies, just a couple of gauges in the cockpit don't work."
So, I have to say, this is either an issue with ios 6...or an issue with AT&T's data network communicating with Yahoo's servers that provide the weather data.

I've said my piece.

Thanks
Joe

xTorch

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
I have an iPhone 5 on 6.0.2, and all is working fine here, through TIM's 3G network in Brazil.
My guess is that there's something wrong with AT&T's network?

Machinegun

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
I think it does have something to do with AT&T. My boyfriend's Verizon LTE connected iPhone 5 (6.0) works fine when updating the weather app off wifi—searching for cities works too. My AT&T iPhone 5 (6.0) on 3G (no LTE in my area yet) fails to update 98% of the time. It updated earlier this morning at 3:48AM, but most times it hasn't updated in days so it just shoes an empty blue or purple template. Searching for cities is a no go as well.

I've reset settings and network settings. The default cities NYC and Cupertino updated fine, but when I tried to search for my city—no results. Oh and it wouldn't update while I type this out. Great...

So users maybe when you post, also post which carrier you're on so we can help pinpoint the problem?

Last edited:

k9buddyjoey

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
Short update...
Just finished a compete ios 6.0.2 erase and restore via iTunes. Erased all of my data etc....leaving my brand new iPhone in basically the same state it was in when I bought it...Tried the weather app..."UPDATE FAILED". Turned on WiFi...worked fine.

So, those of you who were thinking that doing this would fix the issue, don't bother, because it does not.

Have an appt tomorrow with Apple Genius...but somehow I get the feeling that those of us who are having this issue will not find an answer.

Cheers,
joe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.