Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:47 AM   #26
jason2811
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankHowdy View Post
Never mind preexisting accounts will always have sync. An new accounts starting in January will have no sync.

I'm good then.
That's all good and true unless you have to restore iOS through iTunes. Or if you get your phone replaced through Apple Care.
jason2811 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:21 PM   #27
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2811 View Post
That's all good and true unless you have to restore iOS through iTunes. Or if you get your phone replaced through Apple Care.
This.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:51 PM   #28
whsbuss
macrumors 65816

There's another discussion in the iOS6 forum http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1508098

For those not concerned about push email from Gmail in the native mail app, that's fine. But do not assume everyone is OK with fetch. I require push and if Google denies me that option I have a few options:

- drop Gmail and use Hotmail/Outlook or iCloud
- install Gmail app for push notifications and use native mail app to fetch

Some may tout the Gmail app as a better option..... maybe but can you create an event or open the Maps app from text inside the body of an email? Nope!

Google is thumbing the eye of Apple every chance it gets.
whsbuss is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:50 PM   #29
makotoisle
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
There's another discussion in the iOS6 forum http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1508098

For those not concerned about push email from Gmail in the native mail app, that's fine. But do not assume everyone is OK with fetch. I require push and if Google denies me that option I have a few options:

- drop Gmail and use Hotmail/Outlook or iCloud
- install Gmail app for push notifications and use native mail app to fetch

Some may tout the Gmail app as a better option..... maybe but can you create an event or open the Maps app from text inside the body of an email? Nope!

Google is thumbing the eye of Apple every chance it gets.
Kind of like how Apple is thumbing Google every chance it gets?
makotoisle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:53 PM   #30
whsbuss
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by makotoisle View Post
Kind of like how Apple is thumbing Google every chance it gets?
Oh yeah, its a two-way street.
whsbuss is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:05 PM   #31
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Oh yeah, its a two-way street.
And the true loser is the consumer.
aDRock1154 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:18 PM   #32
darster
macrumors 68000

With the war between Apple and Samsung, Apple and Google, this was the obvious next step. I switched everything over to icloud. My contacts, calendar, reminders, etc.
darster is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:22 PM   #33
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
With the war between Apple and Samsung, Apple and Google, this was the obvious next step. I switched everything over to icloud. My contacts, calendar, reminders, etc.
How do you "switch" an existing calendar over to icloud? I have to keep all my appointments from the past and already have almost a year ahead in the calendar. How do you move all of those? I know I can export them from either outlook or google, but I cannot find a way in icloud to import them.

Thanks
HiddenPuppy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:36 PM   #34
whsbuss
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenPuppy View Post
How do you "switch" an existing calendar over to icloud? I have to keep all my appointments from the past and already have almost a year ahead in the calendar. How do you move all of those? I know I can export them from either outlook or google, but I cannot find a way in icloud to import them.

Thanks
Search MacRumors or Google.... I still used Gmail for email but everything else is in iCloud. There's an easy way to drag the past/present/future events into iCloud.com as I remember it.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:37 PM   #35
trekkie604
macrumors 65816

Exchange is king for me. I've switched to Office 365.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:47 PM   #36
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Thanks
For you it would be more difficult as you have a lot of data to transfer. Since I have calendar on my imac, I used the following instructions.

http://support.google.com/calendar/b...n&answer=99358
darster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:49 PM   #37
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
For you it would be more difficult as you have a lot of data to transfer. Since I have calendar on my imac, I used the following instructions.

http://support.google.com/calendar/b...n&answer=99358
My problem is I am on pc not imac, all the instructions I find show importing into ical and icard. I will work on a solution.

Thanks
HiddenPuppy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:04 PM   #38
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

Done with google for good. Back to iCloud only
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:05 PM   #39
whsbuss
macrumors 65816

Quote:
My problem is I am on pc not imac, all the instructions I find show importing into ical and icard. I will work on a solution.

Thanks
Here's a good how-to
http://www.burlapmonkey.com/itips/?p=285
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:10 PM   #40
terraphantm
macrumors 68020

That's a shame. Push through sync has been invaluable for me...
terraphantm is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:14 PM   #41
chestvrg
macrumors 6502a

So this means that If I get the iPhone 5 or any new iPhone I will not be able to activate my current gmail account EAS. This really is sucks.

My wife and I currently rely on gmail EAS. If I need to add her a number or make changes to a family member's contact list, I go directly to the gmail contacts (online), make the changes and wherever she is, the changes are automatically pushed to her iPhone.

This is how my settings currently look
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355609670.572904.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	383784
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:05 PM   #42
Jades
macrumors regular

This really sucks
I hope apple will support IMAP push
Or at minimum, google should give us the opportunity to pay for EAS with the gmail account. I use one of the accounts for business and heavily rely on push email.

I know google apps is an alternative, but I am using @gmail.com for both sending and receiving for a specific reason. This rules out the option to forward my mail to a google apps account

Lastly, I tested outlook.com the last two days and let's just say there is nothing like google. Push doesn't really work with outlook.com EAS. I've sent multiple tests and it only seems to be updating every 15 minutes or so. This was tried on numerous devices.
Jades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:12 PM   #43
whsbuss
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
So this means that If I get the iPhone 5 or any new iPhone I will not be able to activate my current gmail account EAS. This really is sucks.

My wife and I currently rely on gmail EAS. If I need to add her a number or make changes to a family member's contact list, I go directly to the gmail contacts (online), make the changes and wherever she is, the changes are automatically pushed to her iPhone.

This is how my settings currently look
Attachment 383784
As long as you activate EAS on the device before 1/30/13 you're OK.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jades View Post
This really sucks
I hope apple will support IMAP push
Or at minimum, google should give us the opportunity to pay for EAS with the gmail account. I use one of the accounts for business and heavily rely on push email.

I know google apps is an alternative, but I am using @gmail.com for both sending and receiving for a specific reason. This rules out the option to forward my mail to a google apps account

Lastly, I tested outlook.com the last two days and let's just say there is nothing like google. Push doesn't really work with outlook.com EAS. I've sent multiple tests and it only seems to be updating every 15 minutes or so. This was tried on numerous devices.
Business, Education accounts will still support EAS. And Hotmail/Outlook is not as reliable as gmail or iCloud.
whsbuss is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:20 PM   #44
theycallmedeus
macrumors newbie

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/08/11/how...o-outlook-com/

Bye Bye GMAIL, hello outlook. I won't let Google screw me over and force me into using their app. If enough people do this they will bring exchange back
theycallmedeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:28 PM   #45
HankHowdy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2811 View Post
Well then, maybe I will close gmail and transfer everything over to iCloud.

Kinda sad.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:53 PM   #46
whsbuss
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmedeus View Post
http://www.ghacks.net/2012/08/11/how...o-outlook-com/

Bye Bye GMAIL, hello outlook. I won't let Google screw me over and force me into using their app. If enough people do this they will bring exchange back
My only issue with hotmail/outlook is only POP access on Mac mail or Thunderbird.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:52 PM   #47
HankHowdy
macrumors 68000

I'm going to try this.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/12/5...-iphone-how-to

The gmail app isn't that bad. Worth a shot.

I have a question though. For my calendar and contacts accounts, do I toggle on push or set it to fetch?

The gmail app pushes the mail on its own.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:36 PM   #48
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
How do you "switch" an existing calendar over to icloud?
Simple. Delete the Gmail account from the phone. It will ask if you want to erase or keep the calendars and contacts on the phone's memory. Say 'keep.'

Then log in to an iCloud account and it will sync the data from the phone to iCloud.

(As always, I suggest backing up your phone in iTunes before trying this just in case something goes wrong. If need be, you can restore the phone from the backup and get it all back the way it was.)
Small White Car is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:10 PM   #49
ATC
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankHowdy View Post
Well then, maybe I will close gmail and transfer everything over to iCloud.

Kinda sad.
I did that a while back, dropped GMail for iCloud and Outlook.com and haven't looked back. The transition was really easy.

The only thing right now is that outlook.com, while it's great and has full push, it lacks IMAP support. So when you get an email on outlook.com on your iPhone for example, read it then delete it, it still shows up as new unread email on your other device(s), i.e. iPad, Mac mail etc...

Supposedly MSFT promised back in August that IMAP support is coming, but nothing yet unfortunately.
ATC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:47 PM   #50
whsbuss
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC View Post
I did that a while back, dropped GMail for iCloud and Outlook.com and haven't looked back. The transition was really easy.

The only thing right now is that outlook.com, while it's great and has full push, it lacks IMAP support. So when you get an email on outlook.com on your iPhone for example, read it then delete it, it still shows up as new unread email on your other device(s), i.e. iPad, Mac mail etc...

Supposedly MSFT promised back in August that IMAP support is coming, but nothing yet unfortunately.
I wish Apple would support mail sync in iCloud. That is the only thing (besides folder push beyond the inbox) that keeps it from working flawlessly across all devices. Having to open the mail app to update is a pain.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone