Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:59 AM   #26
jbachandouris
macrumors 65816

Existing connections will continue to function.

That's fine, but no one has answered what happens if you have to restore your device. At this point, we can only assume we'll be OK, but no one knows for sure until then.
jbachandouris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:42 PM   #27
whsbuss
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisencode View Post
I thought existing devices were grandfathered, not existing accounts? The way I read it, when you upgrade your device, you're screwed.
That's what the Google blog states.... so how will Google enforce this? Does ActiveSync require device ID for its setup? I agree with others here that having to use 2 different mail apps is ridiculous and unnecessary.

Hotmail/Outlook still supports ActiveSync for mobile devices but for how long? iCloud supports push but not read/delete updates when using other devices unless the mail app is opened. And on top of that, their web interface is atrocious to say the least.

I finally encouraged my wife to change over to all iCloud for everything except email, which we both use Gmail as default. As I stated earlier, Google is out to put Apple at a disadvantage so users migrate to Android.
whsbuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:46 PM   #28
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
That's what the Google blog states.... so how will Google enforce this? Does ActiveSync require device ID for its setup? I agree with others here that having to use 2 different mail apps is ridiculous and unnecessary.
From the sound of the Google blog post, if you move to a new iOS device, you will lose Exchange GMail. I assume they are using the device ID to determine if you have changed devices.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:36 PM   #29
saberahul
macrumors 68040

So I will lose native mail app integration… no big deal. The gmail app works wonderfully so if I need to switch over I will. I'm grandfathered in according to this thread but no biggie. Worst case, I'll just move everything over to my icloud account.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:41 PM   #30
ManicMarc
macrumors regular

Unhappy

This is terrible news. Political maneuvering no doubt as EAS is a Microsoft technology, and as others have said, they will be able to put ads into the Gmail app (which I guess is fair enough since that's how they make their money).

My favourite feature was that it let me respond and create to calendar invitations through the calendarl app, just as I could with an actual exchange service.

I am seriously considering switching because of this (who knows IMAP will probably be next) - It's a shame Apple's own email service is so awful, what are the best alternatives? I'm thinking perhaps Outlook.com?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:50 PM   #31
Rigby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicMarc View Post
I am seriously considering switching because of this (who knows IMAP will probably be next) - It's a shame Apple's own email service is so awful, what are the best alternatives? I'm thinking perhaps Outlook.com?
Outlook.com works well with EAS on iOS. Unfortunately it does not support IMAP yet, so you cannot currently use it with a mail client on Mac OS unless you are willing to live with the limitations of POP3 (and even on Windows only Outlook and the Windows 8 Metro mail app support EAS). They have announced that they will add IMAP at some point though.
Rigby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:52 PM   #32
whsbuss
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberahul View Post
So I will lose native mail app integration… no big deal. The gmail app works wonderfully so if I need to switch over I will. I'm grandfathered in according to this thread but no biggie. Worst case, I'll just move everything over to my icloud account.
Gmail app does not:
- provide calendar event setup from text inside the email body
- provide opening the map app when an address is inside the email body

For some, this is a big deal. I am seriously considering moving to iCloud.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:12 PM   #33
rmhop81
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistadude View Post
Most people are not using gmail through exchange because it's not the default setup. Most people won't even notice the difference. Gmail through imap and pop will still work.
And what about those who it does affect?

I use it on all devices that I change out often....no more google for me.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
From the sound of the Google blog post, if you move to a new iOS device, you will lose Exchange GMail. I assume they are using the device ID to determine if you have changed devices.
Yah some type of device id. If u go to m.google.com/sync it will show multiple devices and won't let you delete them.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:53 PM   #34
HankHowdy
macrumors 68000

I'm going to try this.

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/12/5/3732364/best-way-gmail-google-calendar-iphone-how-to" target="_blank">http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/12/5...-iphone-how-to</a>

The gmail app isn't that bad. Worth a shot.

I have a question though. For my calendar and contacts accounts, do I toggle on push or set it to fetch?

The gmail app pushes the mail on its own.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:02 PM   #35
Rigby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankHowdy View Post
I have a question though. For my calendar and contacts accounts, do I toggle on push or set it to fetch?
You won't have a choice, since CalDAV and CardDAV do not support push. This setup gives you push only for email (via the Gmail app).
Rigby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:43 PM   #36
whsbuss
macrumors 65816

I've decided that iCloud is the only real option left for push email. Outlook & Hotmail only seem to work 80% of the time for push. I just wish Apple would support push sync across their devices for mail updates instead of having to open the mail app. Time to start submitting feedback to Apple on this.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:10 PM   #37
Brazuca
macrumors regular

Nice move by google to actually get me to switch to iCloud from my much loved gmail. Wtf.

I just reversed the forwarding between my accounts, to me.com.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:06 AM   #38
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappyfool View Post
Is there an open standard for push email? Should there be one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
IMAP IDLE. Gmail supports it, but iOS's Mail app doesn't, that's why you have to setup Gmail as an Exchange account to have push. Supposedly, IDLE support is left out because Jobs said it's a "power hog."
No, there isn't an open standard.

IMAP Idle isn't technically "push" - hence why it's a "power hog".

It just lets the email client stay connected to the server in an "idle" state, until a message is ready to be downloaded.

There's not really anything like Exchange ActiveSync - and that's why it's always been so popular.

It's usually very easy to configure
It offers email, Contacts and Calendar with just one configuration
It's generally very reliable
It has push
Since Microsoft started licencing the patents that go with it, other companies can offer it in their products - on both sides of the equation: device manufacturers like Apple, email providers like Google.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
To clarify this, the "Device ID" used by Exchange ActiveSync is simply:

"Appl" followed by your iPhone serial number (NOT the IMEI).

That should mean that:

-If you restore your device, Google Sync should continue to work
-If you get a new device (an upgrade or a replacement) then Google Sync will NOT work
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:22 AM   #39
Jaypi
macrumors regular

For one reason I saw this decision coming and I switched to iCloud some months ago to sync all my stuff ..

It's incredible easy & I don't have to fear announcements like this.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:34 AM   #40
ManicMarc
macrumors regular

My problem with iCloud email is it comes out of your free 5GB and the web interface is awful.
ManicMarc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:40 AM   #41
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

Ugh. This after Google eliminated the free Google Apps (for your own domain) version.

Active Sync isn't dropped in the paid Google Apps for Business version.

I've got a few customers that will have to be upgraded to the paid version when they get new devices.

Not much of a warning on this change, huh? I'll probably be recommending other, hosted exchange services to domain owners in the future.
BrianBaughn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:12 PM   #42
monkey28rb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicMarc View Post
My problem with iCloud email is it comes out of your free 5GB and the web interface is awful.
I have been using my iCloud (Me) as my main email account now for at least 3 years. I never have issues with sending a receiving email. The only issue is the 5gb. Because my iPad and iPhone backup to it, I am afraid if it becomes full I will stop getting email. Gmail gives 10gb for email alone.... I have had 25gb for my iCould for the longest time, but I will be downgraded next year, thats when I am really going to worry which email to use.
monkey28rb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:59 PM   #43
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

This really kind of sucks. Because the wifi (and hard wired) network at works blocks POP and IMAP, but allows Exchange. I switched to Gmail from MobileMe way back when because I could continue to get personal email through the wifi network at work.

Now my choices - should I ever replace or upgrade my phone - are to forgo getting any personal email at work (not acceptable) or stick to cellular full time at work (battery killer). And that option isn't available at all for my iPad (wifi only).

This really kind of blows. I'm ok for now, but if/when I replace a device, I'm screwed.

I'm thinking, since it probably mostly iOS devices (and the native email app) which use the Exchange Sync feature, that Google is doing this on purpose.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:33 PM   #44
benguild
macrumors 6502a

Basically this screws power users that care about push email. These are advocates of Gmail and Google for offering it.

That sucks that restoring to a new device breaks the grandfathering as well. What the hell Google
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:41 PM   #45
whsbuss
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
This really kind of sucks. Because the wifi (and hard wired) network at works blocks POP and IMAP, but allows Exchange. I switched to Gmail from MobileMe way back when because I could continue to get personal email through the wifi network at work.

Now my choices - should I ever replace or upgrade my phone - are to forgo getting any personal email at work (not acceptable) or stick to cellular full time at work (battery killer). And that option isn't available at all for my iPad (wifi only).

This really kind of blows. I'm ok for now, but if/when I replace a device, I'm screwed.

I'm thinking, since it probably mostly iOS devices (and the native email app) which use the Exchange Sync feature, that Google is doing this on purpose.
Well outlook.com still supports EAS.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:40 PM   #46
HankHowdy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyruiz80 View Post
I just reset safari and it worked again.Image

Pics no worky. :what:
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:52 AM   #47
Sugadaddy
macrumors member

Quote:
Well outlook.com still supports EAS.
Yeah, Outlook.com is the best free email right now. The web interface is excellent, has unlimited storage, and you get Exchange ActiveSync on all the mobile platforms.

You even get EAS in Outlook 2013 (instead of using the Connector), not sure if that'll be in the next Outlook for Mac OS.
Sugadaddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:54 AM   #48
whsbuss
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugadaddy View Post
Yeah, Outlook.com is the best free email right now. The web interface is excellent, has unlimited storage, and you get Exchange ActiveSync on all the mobile platforms.

You even get EAS in Outlook 2013 (instead of using the Connector), not sure if that'll be in the next Outlook for Mac OS.
Yep, but problem right now is exchange push in iOS 6. And just recently, creating an hotmail/outlook account under exchange on iOS does not support EAS. But they will get that fixed.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:11 AM   #49
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

I've been using Gmail for Mail and Calendar on iOS devices for over 3 years.

I've never once felt the need for "Push". In fact, I don't need my device constantly receiving email, killing the battery.
Turning off Push is one of the first things recommended to help save battery.
Xenomorph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:18 AM   #50
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Yep, but problem right now is exchange push in iOS 6. And just recently, creating an hotmail/outlook account under exchange on iOS does not support EAS. But they will get that fixed.
That's an oxymoron.

You tell it to use EAS and it doesn't use EAS?

Is that what you're saying?

Presumably you mean that the "Microsoft Hotmail" option doesn't configure the account using EAS.

IMO, it's never been a good idea to add a Mail/Contacts/Calendar account in iOS by choosing one of the branded email accounts (unless you are adding an iCloud or MobileMe account).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 17-12-2012 15 22 16.png
Views:	7
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	384103  
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium

Last edited by Daveoc64; Dec 17, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6