Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jatt123

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
Fairfield,CA
Hello I want to sell a old iPhone for a friend! But I don't want to be scammed from buyers. How can I protect myself? I was going to have it shipped by USPS with delivery confirmation with signature required. Also I was thinking of taking pictures of the contents in the box and make a video with me taping up the box clearly showing the time and date in the video. Is there anything else you guys recommend I do? I want to prepare myself with enough evidence for eBay and Paypal! Thanks!

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
You want to know the secret to not getting scammed on eBay ? Don't use eBay, that's it use Craigslist meet in public place ie Starbucks and cash exchange. :cool:

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
screw ebay and craigslist. ive sold and bought tons of phones on the imore forums classified section. thats all i use and its hassle free. do it via paypal and you are well protected.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
You want to know the secret to not getting scammed on eBay ? Don't use eBay, that's it use Craigslist meet in public place ie Starbucks and cash exchange. :cool:

That's only if you sell and not buy, as buyers have gotten scammed through CL.

Make sure you put insurance on the package too incase it gets lost or stolen in the mail.

Smart sellers do not buy insurance (buyer has paypal protection and no incentive to cooperate). Signature confirmation is what protects against item not received.

YsoSerious

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
PayPal has pretty good insurance against fraud. Make sure you deliver to a confirmed address. I've been buying and selling on eBay for over 10yrs and had only one buyer that claimed he never received item. (Post office lost it). PayPal wanted proof I delivered the item (copy of confirmation receipt) and I was covered.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
eBay is more scams then not these days. I only use CL. I've sold ALL of my past iPhones via CL and never had a problem. Just meet at public place and use common sense.

And it's free.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Craigslist. Price in theming,e of the market in your area and you'll sell within a week. High end you'll have to hold out for. Low end and it'll sell in a day. eBay has too much risk for a measly $400-$500 dollars.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That's only if you sell and not buy, as buyers have gotten scammed through CL.

Smart sellers do not buy insurance (buyer has paypal protection and no incentive to cooperate). Signature confirmation is what protects against item not received.

I had an item get lost in the mail a few years back.
It was worth around $200.
I didn't purchase insurance with USPS so when it never arrived I had to refund the buyer and my item was gone. Post office was no help, after it reached a hub it showed that it never left the particular post office.
If I had insurance at least the post office would pay me the value I put on the particular package.
Learned my expensive lesson:)

StevenT42

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Use Paypal and UPS. Ship UPS signature required and get and keep the tracking number receipt. Ship only to the Paypal verified address.

I did this and when the recipient said the credit card had been used without authorization, I sent a scan of the tracking receipt to Paypal, and even though they had reversed the charge against me, in a few days, they reversed that and I got my money.

The key is to ship to the Paypal verified address with signature required, and to provide proof of the tracking number.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I've recently sold about 5 iPhones of different specs. I am also a big ebayer with transactions numbering in the thousands. I have NEVER lost a dispute.... ever. Here's how....

Take a video of the phone working. Everything.... All buttons, sounds, ect. Get a video of the condition of the phone, and most important get a pic/video of the IMEI. When you go to ship take another video showing the IMEI and you boxing, taping it and dropping it into the bin/collection receptacle. Make sure the video is continuous and the phone never leaves the frame. Ship it insured for the sale amount or more. You can also do sig on delivery to totally cover yourself but if you follow the above, there really is no need for it.

Follow these steps and you will not lose a dispute. As far as payment I use paypal and my status makes it so I don't need to wait to w/d funds. (PP CC ftw!)

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
I just look at where they are selling for on ebay and ask for that on craigslist usually works I don't loose the if I get it. I'm ahead by not paying ebay and paypal. I ask to meet in a very public place my favorite a police station it lets them know I'm honest. If they are against that then I usually cancel the sale with them and find someone else.

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Hello I want to sell a old iPhone for a friend! But I don't want to be scammed from buyers. How can I protect myself? I was going to have it shipped by USPS with delivery confirmation with signature required. Also I was thinking of taking pictures of the contents in the box and make a video with me taping up the box clearly showing the time and date in the video. Is there anything else you guys recommend I do? I want to prepare myself with enough evidence for eBay and Paypal! Thanks!

I learned quick not to use eBay for high ticket items, buying or selling. eBay has the sellers by the balls cause they can shut them down if they don't comply and they always side with a buyer. They want happy buyers to return and it's no sweat off their back if they have to automatically deduct money from a sellers account to keep buyers happy.

On the other hand, if a buyer costs them money they'll shut a buyer account down too. I spent over 12k this last year buying large ticket items for my biz. I had two people scam me, take my money and run so eBay reimbursed me twice but then shut down my account for buyer abuse even though I paid and had proof the seller never shipped (no tracking or shipping info sent no return contact) eBay is a bunch of white collared crooks themselves.

It's a hostel place and like the first replier said, sell locally in public with cash only.

Good Luck

Bruins Fan

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Boston, MA
I've recently sold about 5 iPhones of different specs. I am also a big ebayer with transactions numbering in the thousands. I have NEVER lost a dispute.... ever. Here's how....

Take a video of the phone working. Everything.... All buttons, sounds, ect. Get a video of the condition of the phone, and most important get a pic/video of the IMEI. When you go to ship take another video showing the IMEI and you boxing, taping it and dropping it into the bin/collection receptacle. Make sure the video is continuous and the phone never leaves the frame. Ship it insured for the sale amount or more. You can also do sig on delivery to totally cover yourself but if you follow the above, there really is no need for it.

Follow these steps and you will not lose a dispute. As far as payment I use paypal and my status makes it so I don't need to wait to w/d funds. (PP CC ftw!)

Way too much hassle. Craigslist works for me :)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

That's good to do on a few big money items but to do that every time on thousands of transactions like you said?
Video tape you using the device, serial number, checking that all features on the phone working, boxing it up with footage of the label and address and walking up to a mailbox and dropping it?
That's a little too much IMO.
Having to do all that in order not to get ripped off is such a pain. You would also need a second person video recording you while you do all that.:D

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I had an item get lost in the mail a few years back.
It was worth around $200.
I didn't purchase insurance with USPS so when it never arrived I had to refund the buyer and my item was gone. Post office was no help, after it reached a hub it showed that it never left the particular post office.
If I had insurance at least the post office would pay me the value I put on the particular package.
Learned my expensive lesson:)

Depends. If it were lost after it left the post office (i.e. out for delivery), it'd require the recipient's cooperation. If they refuse to cooperate, you'd be screwed even with insurance. Buyers have no incentive to cooperate as they have ebay buyer protection.

There's a big difference between never having lost a dispute because the buyers never filed a claim against you and never having lost a dispute when the buyers have filed a claim against you.

I've successfully ebayed 4 iPhones and have never lost a dispute, but I've never been disputed either.

Signature on delivery is absolutely required for transactions above $250 in order to fall under paypal seller protection.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Depends. If it were lost after it left the post office (i.e. out for delivery), it'd require the recipient's cooperation. If they refuse to cooperate, you'd be screwed even with insurance. Buyers have no incentive to cooperate as they have paypal protection.

It arrived at a city near the buyers location but never actually arrived to his post office or went out for delivery at all.
It just dissapeared.
Sucks.
I never dealt with an issue like that. So you're saying if it went out for delivery and got lost the buyer would have to cooperate and fill out a form or report with the post office.
I figured if he wanted me to issue him a refund nice and quick he'd take a few minutes to help out. Since it wouldnt have been mine or his fault.
But I know what you're saying. Not everyone is nice or helpfull on ebay.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I figured if he wanted me to issue him a refund nice and quick he'd take a few minutes to help out. Since it wouldnt have been mine or his fault.
But I know what you're saying. Not everyone is nice or helpfull on ebay.

Exactly. Some people wouldn't care less.

Insurance would have helped you in your particular case as it got lost before leaving the post office. I'm just saying insurance doesn't always work, that's all.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
That's good to do on a few big money items but to do that every time on thousands of transactions like you said?
Video tape you using the device, serial number, checking that all features on the phone working, boxing it up with footage of the label and address and walking up to a mailbox and dropping it?
That's a little too much IMO.
Having to do all that in order not to get ripped off is such a pain. You would also need a second person video recording you while you do all that.:D

I do it with high value items. Who tries to scam for a $25 item? When my wife used to sell scrap booking lots ($500+ lots) we would video tape placing items in the box and sealing. We wouldn't tape the shipping part because we could go off the weight. I did however do this with paintball markers as some of those went for $800 to $1300, and of course any high dollar electronics. As far as video taping it I did it by myself every time. Simply prop the phone up and keep the mailing box in frame... It's actually quite easy to do.
Some may say it's a pain but all together I have made a ton of money this way. Sold 2 iPhone 4's for $1950 before they were even released(of course that was a few years ago). Recently sold a "new" 16gb 4 for $350, My parents 2 16gb 4's with some accessories for $550, 32gb 4 for $270, 32gb 5 for $960. Looking through CL where I live at the time of my sales I would not have received those prices. (even after fee's and shipping)

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
eBay is more scams then not these days..

Rubbish. I sell devices all the time through eBay. I've never encountered a problem. Just don't be an idiot and sell to a guy in Nigeria who will send you the money after he receives his fortune from the Nigerian royal family as his long lost cousin was killed in a plane crash which was the royal families fault so is entitled to $100MILLION USD compensation.

MyBigMac

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
Rubbish. I sell devices all the time through eBay. I've never encountered a problem. Just don't be an idiot and sell to a guy in Nigeria who will send you the money after he receives his fortune from the Nigerian royal family as his long lost cousin was killed in a plane crash which was the royal families fault so is entitled to $100MILLION USD compensation.

EXACTLY! I've never SOLD anything on eBay, but I've made MANY purchases, from US, China and UK...and never ONCE had an issue. I've even bought cell phones and other electronic equipment.

The key is to use common sense. Check out your buyer to make sure they don't have a history of bidding and then not paying....although if they pay you first, then what do you have to lose? I wouldn't accept payments from foreign countries (yeah...Nigeria might be a red flag) You can also list it as a "Buy it Now" item so you won't have people low balling you.

But yeah...if you're only interested in local buyers, so you don't have to ship anything, Craigslist is great. OH! And be sure to invest in one of those little laser pens that detect counterfeit currency. A friend of mine gave away a set of expensive speakers because he didn't recognize the $50 bills as being fake.....but the bank did.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

Pretty sad this type of precaution has come to selling items on eBay. Shows how eBay can be hit or miss with scammers.

Don't know why eBay doesn't have a system in place (besides verified address). Should have verified drivers license as well. Once people are forced to verify personal info as buyers it becomes a bigger deterrent to try to scam people. Not saying it will stop scammers but its a deterrent.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Pretty sad this type of precaution has come to selling items on eBay. Shows how eBay can be hit or miss with scammers.

Don't know why eBay doesn't have a system in place (besides verified address). Should have verified drivers license as well. Once people are forced to verify personal info as buyers it becomes a bigger deterrent to try to scam people. Not saying it will stop scammers but its a deterrent.

I agree. Of course one doesn't need to take the steps I take but like I said, I have NEVER lost a dispute. I actually have only had a few out of 1442 transaction (many more but multiple purchases form same person don't count towards fb). I take this precaution, others who don't are the ones making threads about how they got ripped off as I spend the cash I received!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.