Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:38 PM   #26
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
You, sir, need an English lesson:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/your
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/my

Words like "my" and "your" are called adjectives.
.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	383833  
duneriderltr450 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:53 PM   #27
SomeDudeAsking
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
To look at this in Star Trek terms (because why wouldn't you?) I would say this is most analogous to the difference between the USS Enterprise and the USS Voyager.

The Enterprise was treated as a common noun while Voyager got proper noun status. For example, this is how you'd talk in an episode of the show:

"Tomorrow the Enterprise will transfer 25 officers to Voyager."

But you would NOT say:

"Tomorrow Enterprise will transfer 25 officers to the Voyager."

Why the difference? Well, it just sounds better. Is one of these wrong? No, they're both ok, it's just we're used to it one way. But if the writers wanted to switch it around, you could still say that they're right.

So Apple has decided Macs are common nouns and iOS devices are proper nouns. Just like with Star Trek writers it's their right to do that. It's not wrong. (Or do you argue that saying "Let's get back to Voyager" is incorrect?)

You're right that you found a mistake in the iPad section, but one mistake is hardly worth starting a whole thread over.

I reject your notion that iOS devices can't be proper nouns. Voyager was, so why not iPhone?
This makes more sense than what other's here have been posting. For somethings you should use adjectives and for some things it may not be necessary. I stand by my assertion that it is necessary for the iPhone because it is awkward to write "Clean iPhone with a soft cloth" instead of "Clean your iPhone with a soft cloth" or "Clean the iPhone with a soft cloth".
SomeDudeAsking is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:58 PM   #28
BHP41
macrumors 6502a
 
BHP41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
You, sir, need an English lesson:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/your
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/my

Words like "my" and "your" are called adjectives.
You sir, need a new hobby. I find it humorous that you see fit to spend your existence on a site that is dedicated to something you hate. I also sent you a PM trying to understand your reason for which you have so much disgust for Apple and what you've seen as a better alternative. Yet you haven't replied to my invitation.

Your collection of Apple products, from your words, is now "collecting dust". Why are you still here posting useless info and starting useless threads?

Last edited by BHP41; Dec 16, 2012 at 07:24 AM.
BHP41 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:12 PM   #29
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Agreed. The only thing he posts here are blatant hate/negative threads to get a rise out of the rest of us. It's obvious he has a dislike for iPhones and possibly Apple products in general. He is the epitome of a hater. Spending his time bashing what he doesn't like dnd those who don't agree with him on a forum dedicated for products he hates.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:26 PM   #30
sandwicher
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Someone has too much time on their hands. If you hate apple so much, stop using the products and gtfo.
sandwicher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:50 AM   #31
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3
 
TuffLuffJimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
You, sir, need an English lesson:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/your
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/my

Words like "my" and "your" are called adjectives.
I assumed you were referring to "the." My bad.
__________________
"Next PM I get from you about this, and it gets posted as my signature." --*LTD*
TuffLuffJimmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:01 AM   #32
TrimmTrabb
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Doesn't anyone at Apple grammar check?
Probably more so than at any other company. Apple's marketing language with iOS devices is very deliberate. But you're over-thinking this. It's not about what's grammatically correct, it's about what Apple believes sounds right.

The marketing site most always refers to iPhone, iPad, and iPod the way I'm doing now. As others said, it's to personify them. I find it endearing, and I think that's the intent.

As you said, things are inconsistent, because it's more about what sounds right than religiously following convention. Sometimes it feels better in context to clarify ownership, e.g., "Sent from my iPhone."

If it were about consistency and following the rules, you wouldn't see big headings with a full stop on the end, even though they're not complete sentences. You also wouldn't have iPod touch with a lowercase 't', Mac mini with a lowercase 'm', but MacBook Air with an uppercase 'A'. It's just the way it is because it felt right to Apple.
TrimmTrabb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:11 AM   #33
jon3543
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
So I'm browsing the Apple website from a link in another thread on here. I'm looking at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226 where it is talking about how to clean Apple products.

If we look at the section for the iPhones:



Now, if we compare that to the section for the iPads:



And then also look at the section for iMacs:



Notice that Apple butchers the grammar in the section for the iDevices where it inconsistently references iPhone without a "the" or "your" before it. In the iMac section, a reference to an iMac is preceded by "your" and is grammatically correct.

For example, from above, the iPhone section uses "Clean iPhone immediately if it comes into contact" when it should actually say "Clean your iPhone immediately if it comes into contact". And also, where it says "To clean iPhone, unplug all cables", it should actually say "To clean your iPhone, unplug all cables".

The iPad section is mixed. In the first sentence, it correctly uses "Handle your iPad with care" but then in the next sentence it incorrectly goes "To clean iPad, unplug all cables" when it should say "To clean your iPad, unplug all cables". There are numerous mistakes like this throughout Apple's website.

This butchering of grammar also happens in Apple ads, such as at the main page for the iPhone at http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/. Every time I hear or see something from Apple that forget adjectives, it drives me crazy because it is so obvious that they don't use correct English. It makes me think their writers are not literate. It is not "The biggest thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone." That is so plain grammatically incorrect, you would have failed English school. It should actually say "The biggest thing to happen to the iPhone since the iPhone."

Doesn't anyone at Apple grammar check?
Your iPhone is bent 57 degrees on the Apple crankometer. That's a lot!
jon3543 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:10 AM   #34
syd430
Guest
 
Haha why is anyone taking this guy seriously? Just read some of his other posts.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:22 AM   #35
hollowplayer
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Go do something thats meaningful. The thread is retarded
hollowplayer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:27 AM   #36
BHP41
macrumors 6502a
 
BHP41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States of America
I also love how he votes on his own post. It's pathetic to the point that's it funny.
BHP41 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:27 AM   #37
John T
macrumors 68020
 
John T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK.
For examples of bad grammar, spelling etc, threads on this forum are a good starting place
John T is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:36 AM   #38
BHP41
macrumors 6502a
 
BHP41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
For examples of bad grammar, spelling etc, threads on this forum are a good starting place
Like the title to this one huh.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:54 AM   #39
chambone
macrumors 6502a
 
chambone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Netherlands
Leave the OP alone guys. His life is miserable enough as it is, without y'all getting on his case.
chambone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:59 AM   #40
virginblue4
macrumors 65816
 
virginblue4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
So I'm browsing the Apple website from a link in another thread on here. I'm looking at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226 where it is talking about how to clean Apple products.

If we look at the section for the iPhones:



Now, if we compare that to the section for the iPads:



And then also look at the section for iMacs:



Notice that Apple butchers the grammar in the section for the iDevices where it inconsistently references iPhone without a "the" or "your" before it. In the iMac section, a reference to an iMac is preceded by "your" and is grammatically correct.

For example, from above, the iPhone section uses "Clean iPhone immediately if it comes into contact" when it should actually say "Clean your iPhone immediately if it comes into contact". And also, where it says "To clean iPhone, unplug all cables", it should actually say "To clean your iPhone, unplug all cables".

The iPad section is mixed. In the first sentence, it correctly uses "Handle your iPad with care" but then in the next sentence it incorrectly goes "To clean iPad, unplug all cables" when it should say "To clean your iPad, unplug all cables". There are numerous mistakes like this throughout Apple's website.

This butchering of grammar also happens in Apple ads, such as at the main page for the iPhone at http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/. Every time I hear or see something from Apple that forget adjectives, it drives me crazy because it is so obvious that they don't use correct English. It makes me think their writers are not literate. It is not "The biggest thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone." That is so plain grammatically incorrect, you would have failed English school. It should actually say "The biggest thing to happen to the iPhone since the iPhone."

Doesn't anyone at Apple grammar check?
Look back through the keynotes. They also refer to them as 'iPhone' and 'iPad without 'the' in front of them. It's not incorrect grammar, it's how they choose to word it. I quite like it in all honesty.
__________________

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8b2
iPad mini with Retina display, silver, iOS 7.1.1
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:00 AM   #41
MarcBook
macrumors 6502a
 
MarcBook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jersey, Channel Islands
I thought it was well known that Apple refers to their products as proper nouns, as a way of personifying them and making them sound more personal.

It's definitely on purpose.

What does bother me a bit, however, is how their slogans and descriptions tend to be broken up by full-stops, rather than commas. For example: "It doesn't seem possible. That an iPhone with so much[...]" or "It's our thinnest display ever. And it's the first of its kind."
__________________
Early-2011 High-Res 15.4" MacBook Pro with OS X Yosemite
iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey
Custom gaming PC
MarcBook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:47 AM   #42
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020
 
sulpfiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
This makes more sense than what other's here have been posting. For somethings you should use adjectives and for some things it may not be necessary. I stand by my assertion that it is necessary for the iPhone because it is awkward to write "Clean iPhone with a soft cloth" instead of "Clean your iPhone with a soft cloth" or "Clean the iPhone with a soft cloth".
Apple has always referred to products this way. SJ used this grammar in every keynote and it was deliberate. It may sound strange but this is marketing and not a mistake.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:03 AM   #43
lunaoso
macrumors 65816
 
lunaoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New England, USA
That's how they always talk about them in Keynotes. "This is the best thing to happen to iPhone, since iPhone." It's like saying, "I'm going to watch TV." Not, "I'm going to watch the TV."
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When will Apple use the new PowerVR serie 6 in its iDevices ? gto55 iPhone 4 Jul 31, 2013 05:37 AM
Poor journalism? Not posting news that reflects Apple in a poor light. rmwebs Site and Forum Feedback 48 May 16, 2013 10:20 PM
Apple iDevices iOS Versions kevintech iOS 6 8 Mar 24, 2013 12:51 PM
Are we going to see Apple refarming all iDevices to lighting 8 pin plug for ip4/4s? aziatiklover iPhone 2 Oct 5, 2012 12:15 PM
Can people keep & sell iDevices if Apple infringes a patent? moonman239 Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 2 Jul 11, 2012 01:47 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC