Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesberryjames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
When I found out that Goodreader crashes or doesn't even open powerpoint files larger than 30mb, i decided to buy Document to Go. After reading many reviews it seemed to be the logical choice. Unfortunately pptx files are extremely slow. If d2g opens them, there is a lag up to two minutes per slide. Simply amazing. Fortunately, my samsung galaxy s2 always rescues the overpriced ipad. Doesn't matter how large the pptx file is, my android phone is able to download the file from anywhere (internet or cloud), stores it on a mutual location which can be accessed by any app and opens the pptx file in its stock app without any hiccup. Apple's stock viewer doesn' open large ppt files either from safari or mail.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
My iPad had similar issues. Thankfully, my 2 year old 3Gs can open any kind of Powerpoint file I can devise with Keynote. No slow down and no crashing, no matter how many pictures or animations. Then if I want video out, I just use my 4S. Problems solved.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I pity anyone forced to endure a 30meg PowerPoint presentation. That means the presenter doesn't have a clue how to hold an audience's attention or is going totally overboard with formatting that adds nothing to the subject matter.

matt90036

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
I pity anyone forced to endure a 30meg PowerPoint presentation. That means the presenter doesn't have a clue how to hold an audience's attention or is going totally overboard with formatting that adds nothing to the subject matter.
obviously that depends on the subject matter. my pathology professor was known for having PowerPoint presentations 100-200 pages long. He was one of the best professors in our school and the reason for so many pages was to show multiple detailed pictures of the same disease. so your comment is a bit off.
as for iPad the OP needs to try SlideShark which was designed from ground up for iPad and for PowerPoint presentations. furthermore, I think the OP is a bit biased against the iPad. I think it has much more quality and professional apps than android. and for everybody's information I have both platforms and honestly I don't like apple but their iPads and iOS are superior to my needs.

jamesberryjames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Slideshark works well. However, there is a 100Mb file limit which is a real deal breaker. There is no posibilities to store the ppt on your local ipad drive. Which makes this app a bit useless. You can't download files from dropbox either.

When I go to a congress, I want to be able to download all the ppt files and store it on my Ipad or Dropbox. Now I need to download it to my pc, upload it to slideshark (one at a time), watch it and delete it, before I can upload another one which btw, take some time to convert.

Android doesn't have as much apps as Apple, but the way it accesses files and the basic stock apps are enough to get anything done.

matt90036

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
Slideshark works well. However, there is a 100Mb file limit which is a real deal breaker.

can't you split your presentation into 3x100mb files? unless of course your file going into gigabytes then you do need to use something else. yeah I agree about iPad having the problem with no common file system. it's really a nuisance but I hope other competitors can force apple into innovation of its iOS, like the way it happened with notifications.

tinycg

macrumors member
May 8, 2009
You can now purchase more space for SlideShark from within your web account if that helps, the average PPT is around 4MB, though nothing surprises me anymore.

For anyone wanting to try SlideShark you can use this link to get a little extra bump in starting space.

In the interests of full disclosure, I helped to design the app, and we listen to all feedback we're given, I can guarantee that.

Sano89

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Liberec, Czech
Don't like PowerPoint because it's for Windows
There is a good app for making presentations - Keynote
I think it is more spectacular than PowerPoint on ios and it's easier to use it

LaymansDomain

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try when I get home.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA

Yup. iWork apps work very well for me. All 2.5 of them. Numbers is .5 as it does not do Pivot tables… even on the Mac.

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
I have a large PowerPoint presentation that I do each fall as a three-hour workshop for a national organization. This year I converted it to Keynote for the iPad and gave the presentation using the iPad. In the conversion, I had to revise two or three slides that didn't convert properly (they had embedded Excel files in them). Otherwise, there were no problems in the conversion, and I had no issues at all during the presentation.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
My issue with slideshark is that it seems to take forever to upload the respective files.

Thankfully, I don't have to contend with ppt files that big, and if need be, there's always keynote, which lets me quickly and efficient churn out ckean and respectable-looking presentations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.