Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cristian.ny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
I was wondering what makes the back of the iPad mini black. I'm asking this because I've heard that it can supposedly rub off and if I use a cleaner will the color fade after several uses?

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
I THINK its anodised aluminium, and so wont rub off at all, no matter what.

I could be wrong though, so if I am I hope somebody can correct me.

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Have the black and white iPad mini. The black does scratch or show the scratches more easily. Best to keep It protected in a case.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
The iPhone 5 is also anodized but it rubs off easily.

This is what you call spreading "truth"?? It does not RUB off.

OP, I have the mini and iPhone 5 in black. The 5 is used without a case and the mini is used with clear back. It's not going to rub off. If you drop it or bump it into something then yes you'll probably see nicks but you're not going to rub the color of the aluminum. It's not painted. Some here are so misinformed and have nothing better to do with their lives then come here; spread lies and look for every opurtunity to try and change people's mind about the product they bought.

cristian.ny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
Thanks I understand now. I was worried that if I cleaned it to much I would see the color actually rub off because I was under the impression that it was a dye from reading another thread on MacRumors.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Thanks I understand now. I was worried that if I cleaned it to much I would see the color actually rub off because I was under the impression that it was a dye from reading another thread on MacRumors.

A perfect example of why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I've had my black iPad mini for about a month now and only have the red smart cover on it so the back is always open to the elements. I use he mini every single day, it goes with me in my backpack, messenger bag or I carry it by itself. I have absolutely no scratches on it, if it looks dirty I just wipe it off with a damp cloth and it still looks just as perfect as it did when it came out of the box. Not sure exactly what people are doing to get scratches and rubbing the black off. From my own experience I have it in my backpack or messenger bag when not using it. I'm not putting it in any special sleeve, or pocket, other items are in the backpack as well. If it gets a scratch, oh well as long as it still works it's OK.

I buy my iDevices to be used, not for the resale value I might want to sell it for in the future.

Abecedario

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
This is what you call spreading "truth"?? It does not RUB off.

OP, I have the mini and iPhone 5 in black. The 5 is used without a case and the mini is used with clear back. It's not going to rub off. If you drop it or bump it into something then yes you'll probably see nicks but you're not going to rub the color of the aluminum. It's not painted. Some here are so misinformed and have nothing better to do with their lives then come here; spread lies and look for every opurtunity to try and change people's mind about the product they bought.
So what? Maybe it doesn't come off but it still scratches easily, pretty much the same when it comes to keeping your devices well-preserved.

Hey! My iphone 5 doesn't peel off, don't be ridiculous. Scratches are another thing entirely!

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
So what? Maybe it doesn't come off but it still scratches easily, pretty much the same when it comes to keeping your devices well-preserved.

Hey! My iphone 5 doesn't peel off, don't be ridiculous. Scratches are another thing entirely!

So what you're telling me is that Aluminium scratches easily. Who would've thought that. I guess everything that aluminum needs the be made out of steel. No wait, that wouldn't work either. :rolleyes:

I find it hard to believe that the iPhone 5 is the first aluminum product that people have owned. I guess I should fine a complaint about my refrigerator,coffe maker,blender, mountain bike ......... I mean they all have scratches on them.

Abecedario

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
So what you're telling me is that Aluminium scratches easily. Who would've thought that. I guess everything that aluminum needs the be made out of steel. No wait, that wouldn't work either. :rolleyes:

I find it hard to believe that the iPhone 5 is the first aluminum product that people have owned. I guess I should fine a complaint about my refrigerator,coffe maker,blender, mountain bike ......... I mean they all have scratches on them.
Oh dear, you really have a way with words, don't you?

It's like reading Shakespeare, I am amazed.

By the way, is there actually someone who cares about a scratch on the fridge?

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Oh dear, you really have a way with words, don't you?

It's like reading Shakespeare, I am amazed.

By the way, is there actually someone who cares about a scratch on the fridge?

Since you seem to have missed the point. I'll explain it to you. All of those things I listed are items that are meant to used. Same with the iPhone/iPad. It's made of Aluminum, it gets used on a constant basis day in day out. To expect it to stay in pristine condition is absurd. If you want it to be in mint condition you need to wrap it in a otterbox from the moment you open the box.

Black on anything shows every imperfection. The back of my iPad 3 has some scratches on it from setting it down but are harder to see due to the natural color of the aluminum. It only stands to reason that on a darker color those same scratches will be more visible.

Abecedario

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
Since you seem to have missed the point. I'll explain it to you. All of those things I listed are items that are meant to used. Same with the iPhone/iPad. It's made of Aluminum, it gets used on a constant basis day in day out. To expect it to stay in pristine condition is absurd. If you want it to be in mint condition you need to wrap it in a otterbox from the moment you open the box.

Black on anything shows every imperfection. The back of my iPad 3 has some scratches on it from setting it down but are harder to see due to the natural color of the aluminum. It only stands to reason that on a darker color those same scratches will be more visible.
Well, if aluminium is such a scratchable material, why use it for this?

I couldn't care less about a scratch on my fridge or my blender :)rolleyes:), but when it comes to my phone/tablet, I'm a little bit cranky about it, especially when I pay 'premium prices'.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Well, if aluminium is such a scratchable material, why use it for this?

I couldn't care less about a scratch on my fridge or my blender :)rolleyes:), but when it comes to my phone/tablet, I'm a little bit cranky about it, especially when I pay 'premium prices'.

So $200-$500 for a phone and $329-$600 for a iPad trumps a machine that's $3500 and is far more important than either of the other two.

I'm not sure what premium price you're paying. A $2700 MBP is aluminum and has great build quality. It still will get scratches. See my point. It's aluminum. There's trade offs in everything. I'd much rather have a iPad that a bit easier to scratch than one that weighs a pound more or cost twice as much just because it uses CF or Titanium(which still will scratch pretty easily)

Abecedario

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
So $200-$500 for a phone and $329-$600 for a iPad trumps a machine that's $3500 and is far more important than either of the other two.

I'm not sure what premium price you're paying. A $2700 MBP is aluminum and has great build quality. It still will get scratches. See my point. It's aluminum. There's trade offs in everything. I'd much rather have a iPad that a bit easier to scratch than one that weighs a pound more or cost twice as much just because it uses CF or Titanium(which still will scratch pretty easily)
After reading this message I think I'm gonna buy a case for my fridge and another for my blender. Thank you for opening my eyes.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
After reading this message I think I'm gonna buy a case for my fridge and another for my blender. Thank you for opening my eyes.

I'm not sure why you're so worried about scratches. Did you buy your iPad to use or just put on display like some kind of artifact?

I've never used a case or skin on any of my Macs, iPods, iPhones or iPads. Yes Aluminum can scratch and scuff. It is used because it is fairly light, inexpensive and easy to work with. Other materials may be more resistant to marking, but they have other trade offs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.