Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:42 PM   #1
ferrarofilms
macrumors member

Can a NAS be managed by Apple TV, No computer?

Have a friend that is looking for something like this, haven't found any help on Synology or others
ferrarofilms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

No. A computer is required to playback your own content.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarofilms View Post
Have a friend that is looking for something like this, haven't found any help on Synology or others
Nope. You need either a full x86 computer or, at least, an iOS device with AirPlay support (anything with an A4 or newer CPU: iPhone4+, iPod touch 4+, iPad 1+), which, then, can act as a proxy between a UPnP / SMB etc. NAS source and the ATV.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:33 PM   #4
netdog
macrumors 603

Aren't there NAS drives with embedded iTunes servers? I thought loads of NAS devices offered this.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:39 PM   #5
chenks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdog View Post
Aren't there NAS drives with embedded iTunes servers? I thought loads of NAS devices offered this.
they are pseudo itunes servers, but they do not support Home Sharing which is what AppleTV requires.
chenks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdog View Post
Nope, Home Sharing is proprietary, closed technology, unlike SMB / UPnP / FTP / HTTP. Absolutely nothing supports it.

If you do have an iDevice to be used as a proxy between your NAS and ATV, let me know and I explain how it can be used. Then, you won't be forced to keep a full computer switched on while streaming.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:46 PM   #7
TrackZ
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
If you do have an iDevice to be used as a proxy between your NAS and ATV, let me know and I explain how it can be used. Then, you won't be forced to keep a full computer switched on while streaming.
I'm curious what your method is.
TrackZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:43 PM   #8
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackZ View Post
I'm curious what your method is.
Just use a third-party player with both UPnP and AirPlay support. They're, currently, as follows:

nPlayer, PowerPlayer, 8player, AcePlayer, BUZZ Player, GoodPlayer, CineXPlayer, GPlayer by Ginkgo Tech

Then, 1, connect to your ATV 2, just start playing back the video on your iDevice from your NAS. The video will be shown on the ATV - with full quality.

(More info: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1503351 )
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:47 PM   #9
TrackZ
macrumors member

OK, that's what I was thinking. I haven't been to enamored with such apps. Do you have a specific recommendation for the app? Preferably one that browses with cover art and such, maybe even meta data?
TrackZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackZ View Post
OK, that's what I was thinking. I haven't been to enamored with such apps. Do you have a specific recommendation for the app? Preferably one that browses with cover art and such, maybe even meta data?
Unfortunately, of all iOS multimedia players I've tested AirPlay proxying-wise (see the UPnP bible linked to above), only the following two support metadata display (I used the one created with Subler with all the tags filled in, including artwork; it's available at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/12...est-subler.m4v so that you can give it a test ride):

- VM Player HD http://itunes.apple.com/app/vm-playe...445667199?mt=8 („i” icon in the top left corner; the „Metadata” section at the bottom lists everything textual)

- partially, viPlay (Lite) http://itunes.apple.com/app/viplay/id522335067?mt=8 (Genre / director / description are shown when tapping the file in the main file list)

Unfortunately,

- VM Player HD, while it supports UPnP, doesn't support AirPlay proxying

- viPlay doesn't even support UPnP, only SMB and FTP. (Note that I haven't tested its SBM → AirPlay proxying capabilities, if any.)

All in all, (at least if you plan to stick with UPnP), there isn't a single player with the capabilities you're looking for.

When it comes to UPnP-capable but, AirPlay proxying-wise,by me, still untested players,

- Plex only displays the genre and the long description, nothing else
- PlugPlayer and ArkMC only display the artwork associated with the title, no other info.

Note that,

1, again, I haven't tested these three players, ATV AirPlay-wise. They may work. Or not.

2, Plex isn't a fully configurable UPnP client (that is, it won't work with a NAS UPnP server, only with its own); I still list it here as its server component is also a UPnP server.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:47 PM   #11
Ccrew
macrumors 68000

Jailbreak and XBMC for the win.

No jailbreak for the ATV3 unfortunately, which is why ATV2's are higher than a giraffe on eBay and the like.

I have an ATV2 talking to a Synology and three separate WD Live NAS devices for a total of 15tb accessible.
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:41 PM   #12
robertpolson
macrumors member

Just use Plex and enjoy your media via Airplay:

plexapp.com
robertpolson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:44 AM   #13
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post
Just use Plex and enjoy your media via Airplay:

plexapp.com
The OP asked for a computer-less solution
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:59 AM   #14
Candyman8019
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarofilms View Post
Check out the Qnap TS-410. It is a network storage device which has a built in itunes server. You can optionally install the Twonky Media Server (on the NAS itself...no computer required). These work very well with my Apple TV. As another poster mentioned...jailbreak (ATV2 only) and use XBMC. You'll be happy you did.
Candyman8019 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:01 AM   #15
chenks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman8019 View Post
Check out the Qnap TS-410. It is a network storage device which has a built in itunes server. You can optionally install the Twonky Media Server (on the NAS itself...no computer required). These work very well with my Apple TV.
they won't work very well at all with an AppleTV unless you jailbreak it.
the NAS won't support Home Sharing, and that is what Apple TV needs.
chenks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:00 PM   #16
_dob_
macrumors newbie

While XBMC is much more powerful, if you're looking for a simple solution to connect to your NAS with you ATV ... I highly recommend ATV Flash Black from FireCore.

aTV Flash (black) | FireCore

Again, you would be limited to the ATV2, but the Firecore Media Player even plays back my MPEG4 based Blu-Ray rips ... as in bit-for-bit 1080p MKVs (albeit at 720p). Great for making an on-demand library of your movies/shows.

The "Library" feature with automatic organization and metadata makes the whole experience feel like you're navigating a premium monthly video service too.

And I haven't personally enabled the File Management option to see what it allows me to do, but thought I'd mention it nonetheless.
_dob_ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:57 PM   #17
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenks View Post
they won't work very well at all with an AppleTV unless you jailbreak it.
the NAS won't support Home Sharing, and that is what Apple TV needs.
Exactly. No point in getting it if you don't jailbreak - as I've pointed out above, absolutely no NAS'es support Home Sharing, the only protocol ATV supports for local media streaming.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:16 PM   #18
robertpolson
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
The OP asked for a computer-less solution
Plex can now be installed on both ARM and Intel CPU based NAS. Powerful NAS can transcode on the fly whereas ARM NAS has to have m4v ready to play files.
robertpolson is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater