Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirFoxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Galien, Michigan
I just recently got an apple quadra 950 going, with the help of my dad, and one of the ways he wants me to pay him back is to get a game to work on the quadra. I am having a bit of a problem because it doesn't have a 5.25", and I don't know how to copy .DSK files to a 3.5" disk. Any suggestions for any programs I could use?

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I just recently got an apple quadra 950 going, with the help of my dad, and one of the ways he wants me to pay him back is to get a game to work on the quadra. I am having a bit of a problem because it doesn't have a 5.25", and I don't know how to copy .DSK files to a 3.5" disk. Any suggestions for any programs I could use?

Bernie II The Rescue? KEGS? Sweet16? Virtual II?

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003

The Quadra is a macintosh machine. An Apple II is not a Macintosh since the Apple II predates the Macintosh OS.

So there isn't really a way to run an Apple II game on a Macintosh without some kind of emulator. You'd get a better user experience running the game in an Apple II emulator on modern hardware.

Just for perspective, asking to run an Apple II game on a Quadra is like expecting to run a Windows XP program on OS X without an emulator.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA

Hi,
So you have the game as a .DSK file for an emulator?

And you want to copy it to a 5.25" disk, or a 3.5" disk?

I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. Could you explain what you have exactly, and what you are trying to do?

SirFoxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Galien, Michigan
Hi,
So you have the game as a .DSK file for an emulator?

And you want to copy it to a 5.25" disk, or a 3.5" disk?

I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. Could you explain what you have exactly, and what you are trying to do?

My dad wanted to play an old game, that he used to play back in the day, on my quadra 950. I have the .dsk game file, and want to copy it to a 3.5" disk. But, will the game work on the quadra since it is an apple II game?

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
My dad wanted to play an old game, that he used to play back in the day, on my quadra 950. I have the .dsk game file, and want to copy it to a 3.5" disk. But, will the game work on the quadra since it is an apple II game?

If you have the file as a .dsk file on your quadra already, it sounds like you have a file for an emulator.

What you need is an Apple II or Apple IIe emulator (do you know what Apple II your dad used to use?).

Great news! There is an Apple IIe emulator for your Mac. The not-so-great news is that it may take some effort to get up and running. And it is hard to find, so you will have to PM me with an email, so I can send it to you.

If you have more modern Mac or Windows hardware (like the thing you are posting these messages with), there are more modern Apple II emulators you can use.

Finally...if you have the .dsk file, and want to transfer that to a 5.25 inch drive, you can do that if you have a working Apple II and a working 5.25 inch drive, but...it takes a bit of know-how, a special program, and some patience and willingness to figure things out through some trial and error.

PM me if you want to ask any more questions or need any help. My knowledge is out of date, but really, I would recommend going to Apple Fritter joining their forums, and posting in the Apple II section. There are a bunch of hardcore Apple II people there who are still active.

Good luck!

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
If it's a game from the apple II era it might have version for mac os 6/7 which should run on the quadro too.

SirFoxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Galien, Michigan
If you have the file as a .dsk file on your quadra already, it sounds like you have a file for an emulator.

What you need is an Apple II or Apple IIe emulator (do you know what Apple II your dad used to use?).
He had a Franklin Ace, an Apple II clone back in the day...

Great news! There is an Apple IIe emulator for your Mac. The not-so-great news is that it may take some effort to get up and running. And it is hard to find, so you will have to PM me with an email, so I can send it to you.

If you have more modern Mac or Windows hardware (like the thing you are posting these messages with), there are more modern Apple II emulators you can use.
I will PM you about that.

Finally...if you have the .dsk file, and want to transfer that to a 5.25 inch drive, you can do that if you have a working Apple II and a working 5.25 inch drive, but...it takes a bit of know-how, a special program, and some patience and willingness to figure things out through some trial and error.

PM me if you want to ask any more questions or need any help. My knowledge is out of date, but really, I would recommend going to Apple Fritter joining their forums, and posting in the Apple II section. There are a bunch of hardcore Apple II people there who are still active.

Good luck!
I do have a 5.25" drive, but no Apple II...Even though the shop had 3 IIci's, I really don't want to mess with them seeing that none of them were complete, hardware-wise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.