Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:33 AM   #1
Pikasso
macrumors newbie

Music names copyright

Hello. I'm planning to do an game application. And i need to use names of musicians and songs in it (without songs, just the names), for example:
PSY - Gangnam Style. The app will be commercial. Can i do it, or the names are also copyrighted and i need to contacts the rights owners?

Thank you.
Pikasso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:38 AM   #2
Menel
macrumors 68040

Legal advice from a bunch of kids on an anonymous Internet forum hmmmm

I would think trying to boost quality of your game by leveraging the fame someone else built would be frowned upon.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:32 AM   #3
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
IANAL, but I would guess this is a bad idea. Talk to your lawyer.

Quick, only slightly related question: if I have a legal question but would like to get an answer without paying a lot for it, does asking a law student on campus seem like a good idea?
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:06 PM   #4
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Quick, only slightly related question: if I have a legal question but would like to get an answer without paying a lot for it, does asking a law student on campus seem like a good idea?
IANAL, but logic suggests the following:

Any law student accepting payment for legal advice would be practicing law without a license, i.e. giving legal advice for payment, which is generally considered illegal or at least unethical. Any law student who knows this would thus decline your question and/or your offer of payment. Any law student who doesn't know this (or is unable to deduce it using logic) probably isn't worth getting legal advice from.

Short answer: Seems like a bad idea, but consult a real legal adviser first.

Last edited by chown33; Dec 16, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:32 PM   #5
lloyddean
macrumors 6502a

Not a lawyer, of course, but the information would seem to be comprised of "facts" and facts I do not believe are copyrightable.

I'd be interested in what you find out.
lloyddean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:31 PM   #6
waterskier2007
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to waterskier2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyddean View Post
Not a lawyer, of course, but the information would seem to be comprised of "facts" and facts I do not believe are copyrightable.

I'd be interested in what you find out.
This seems like the correct answer, although it might be frowned upon. For instance it is a fact that PSY is the artist behind "Gangnam Style" so using those two things together doesn't seem like it would be illegal. For instance, I could publish an app that offered music reviews and as long as I don't lie about the music I wouldn't foresee a problem.
16 GB Nexus 7 (2012)
waterskier2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:21 PM   #7
dbhoward20
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikasso View Post
Hello. I'm planning to do an game application. And i need to use names of musicians and songs in it (without songs, just the names), for example:
PSY - Gangnam Style. The app will be commercial. Can i do it, or the names are also copyrighted and i need to contacts the rights owners?

Thank you.
Good luck, if your app will be making a profit kiss you app goodbye and second if you are not charging for it it will still be taken down because of copyright, yes you have to obtain permission from the copyright holder but not without a hefty price. Stick with royalty free music as it is a lot safer and trust me there are some really good songs out there under RF.
dbhoward20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:11 PM   #8
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhoward20 View Post
Good luck, if your app will be making a profit kiss you app goodbye and second if you are not charging for it it will still be taken down because of copyright, yes you have to obtain permission from the copyright holder but not without a hefty price. Stick with royalty free music as it is a lot safer and trust me there are some really good songs out there under RF.
Perhaps you misunderstood the OP but Pikasso is asking about just the names and artists of songs, not using the the actual audio from the songs at all.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming