Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:59 PM   #1
prvt.donut
macrumors 6502

PowerMac G5 as Leopard Time Machine server.

So, I got a hand me down 2.0 Dual Core 2005 G5 PowerMac.

I have ordered 8GB of Ram and a 240GB SSD for it and have dropped in a 1TB drive.

Currently I have Tiger on it, but want to buy a copy of Leopard when I get the SSD drive, but was intrigued by the idea of installing Leopard Server instead and using it as a Time Machine server for my Macbook Airs.

My plan is to use the PowerMac for Final Cut Express video editing, photoshop duties as well as being a media store.

I have been thinking of buying a Time Capsule, but if i can use Leopard Server and have it as a TM backup server, that would be very useful.

I have a few questions as I am assessing the feasibility of it;

1- How easy is it to set up?
2- How reliable is it?
3- Will if affect the performance of other functions for the PowerMac such as my video editing?
prvt.donut is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking