Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Not surprised. Until recently, the iPhone5 was pretty hard to get, and let's not forget that the 4S is only $99 versus $199 for the 5.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Didn't they do a deep discount on the 4S? It is hard to say why this is happening I guess.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
LMFAO. "4s seen outselling the iPhone 5" actually stems from this quote:
“Some of our Chinese sources do not expect the iPhone 5 to do as well as the iPhone 4S,”

It's a ****ing guess. From SOME Chinese people. What a joke.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
I don't even know why this was posted. Regardless of what's true, who cares? I had a 4S and loved it. I have a 5 and love it. All these unnamed sources are wasting everyone's time.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
The 4s is discounted right now so lots of people are going for it. And this idiot is going off some Chinese sources.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Most countries don't have widespread LTE, so the 5 has almost no advantage over the 4s, costs more, and has worse quality in materials.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'm sure supply chain issues are a huge factor. iPhone 5 demand had been strong thus far.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
The 4S is outselling the 5 because it's a better deal. The only real advantages the 5 has is LTE (which a lot people don't care about or have access to), a slightly longer screen, and a redesign (which may or may not be more desirable depending on your tastes). Most consumers would probably rather have that extra $100 in their pocket than the newest model that really isn't super-significantly better than the old.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
LMFAO. "4s seen outselling the iPhone 5" actually stems from this quote:
“Some of our Chinese sources do not expect the iPhone 5 to do as well as the iPhone 4S,”

It's a ****ing guess. From SOME Chinese people. What a joke.

Last year's 4s unveiling in China was pandemonium, there was a mini riot!

The just unveiled i5, they say only 2 customers were in line... truly sad for Apple.

Coincidence? Some other variables?

Maybe the Chinese is been monitoring this site and been scared away! :D

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Because the 5 is in heavy demand and until recently it was exceedingly difficult to get one. Say what you want but Apple is just counting the billions of dollars raking in. Pretty much the only reason retailers like best buy and walmart are offering discounts is because they want you to buy accessories with it, they figure "hey we can pocket the $50 or so by just persuading them to buy accessories with it, or they will see something else they want in the store", aka attracting more attention.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Last year's 4s unveiling in China was pandemonium, there was a mini riot!

The just unveiled i5, they say only 2 customers were in line... truly sad for Apple.

Coincidence? Some other variables?

Maybe the Chinese is been monitoring this site and been scared away! :D

How is that sad for apple? There is a reservation system set up this year to prevent the riots that occurred with the 4S.

----------

Because the 5 is in heavy demand and until recently it was exceedingly difficult to get one. Say what you want but Apple is just counting the billions of dollars raking in. Pretty much the only reason retailers like best buy and walmart are offering discounts is because they want you to buy accessories with it, they figure "hey we can pocket the $50 or so by just persuading them to buy accessories with it, or they will see something else they want in the store", aka attracting more attention.

Makes sense.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
How is that sad for apple? There is a reservation system set up this year to prevent the riots that occurred with the 4S.

----------

Makes sense.

I really don't understand how so many people, including many in the media, can miss this simple point. There aren't any lines because there aren't any walk-in purchases. Online reservations only and it's almost impossible to get one that way. How is all this hard to understand?

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Retailers selling the iPhone 5 for as slow as $120?

Either

A) iPhone 5 isn't selling as well as Apple thought it would

B) iPhone 5S coming sooner rather than later

C) Both

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Retailers selling the iPhone 5 for as slow as $120?

Either

A) iPhone 5 isn't selling as well as Apple thought it would

B) iPhone 5S coming sooner rather than later

C) Both

D) Retailers want a ride on one of the most popular electronics device ever made, and are willing to take a loss to drive people into stores.

Around here the ads are up, but you can't actually buy a phone by walking into the store.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
5 is not a big upgrade over 4S. It's really ho hum. Huge technology and engineering in the device, but from an end user perspective, it's really mediocre.

4S's 4G network speed already surpasses most broadband.
4S's dual core CPU is a monster that nothing taxes.
It fits in your hand better and easier to use than the tall phone design.
Has lots of accessories compatible with it.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
5 is not a big upgrade over 4S. It's really ho hum. Huge technology and engineering in the device, but from an end user perspective, it's really mediocre.

I agree. Most people really take LTE as a big deal. Unless you're on CDMA carriers, GSM networks' HSPA+ download speeds, more often than not, are already more than sufficient for normal day-to-day usage.

Some of them just want the half-inch bigger screen as well.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town

I agree as well.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I think the biggest difference in 4G and LTE is that upload speeds on LTE can be several times that of 4G. If you tether you laptop and upload photos or data, the the difference is big. But I agree not much difference for upload speeds.
I agree. Most people really take LTE as a big deal. Unless you're on CDMA carriers, GSM networks' HSPA+ download speeds, more often than not, are already more than sufficient for normal day-to-day usage.

Some of them just want the half-inch bigger screen as well.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I think the biggest difference in 4G and LTE is that upload speeds on LTE can be several times that of 4G. If you tether you laptop and upload photos or data, the the difference is big. But I agree not much difference for upload speeds.

You're correct. That's also why I think the only useful purpose for LTE would be for the personal hotspot feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.