Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Kudos to Kashchei for the inspiration, namely Peter Sellers.

OK, have at it, and please, no PRSI crap, eh? ;)

Thanks. :D

Mine.
All's Quiet On The Western Front
Dr. Strangelove
7 Days In May
Fail-Safe
*The Americanization of Emily

Given time* :eek: I believe I will think of a few more.

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Kudos to twietee for the inspiration, namely Peter Sellers.

Errr, what? :D Thank's for fawning, but credit where credit's due: Kashchei.

I'll think of something worth adding though...Paths of Glory?

Edit: definitely adding Grave of the Fireflies here, which, like Paths of Glory, doesn't even show any battle scenes - everybody suffers painfully including the viewer, very existentialist, some hope is left or restored, no happy end.

Last edited:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Mine are

Dr Strangelove
7 Days in May
MASH
Gardens of Stone

I will in time think of more:p

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Kudos to twietee for the inspiration, namely Peter Sellers.

OK, have at it, and please, no PRSI crap, eh? ;)

Thanks. :D

Mine.
All's Quiet On The Western Front
Dr. Strangelove
7 Days In May
Fail-Safe

*The Americanization of Emily

Given time* :eek: I believe I will think of a few more.

I like all of these, however I'd submit that 7 Days in May is not an anti-war movie. Would Forrest Gump qualify? I like it too. :)

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I'll think of something worth adding though...Paths of Glory?

Yes, this is the one I meant for All's Quiet. Chilling movie, reflecting the military mind at the time.

And that's as far as I will go with that thought. ;)

I like all of these, however I'd submit that 7 Days in May is not an anti-war movie.

You would be correct, more anti-military junta actually. :eek:

Would Forrest Gump qualify? I like it too. :)

Perhaps, it's your choice remember.

Certainly Finding Private Ryan would, and Apocalypse Now too.

EDIT: Add Sargent York to my list. Loved the Coop in that one. :)

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I like all of these, however I'd submit that 7 Days in May is not an anti-war movie. Would Forrest Gump qualify? I like it too. :)

In the Netherlands anti war/anti militaristic are seen as the same thing.:p

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Has Apocalypse Now been mentioned?

I agree about Das Boot - I read the original book which was written by Bucheim (?). I believe he wasn't too happy about the adaption - he didn't like the indiscipline shown.

Edit - ah, I see it has - still it deserves two mentions. Also mention of Das Boot has put me in mind of the Cruel Sea - an absolute classic.

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
A disturbing German movie called The Bridge from '59. Saw it as a child and will never forget it. I'm sure it lost nothing in the course of time. It's quite well known over here, but I'm not so sure about overseas, although it got nominated for an Oscar. Heavily recommended.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
A disturbing German movie called The Bridge from '59. Saw it as a child and will never forget it. I'm sure it lost nothing in the course of time. It's quite well known over here, but I'm not so sure about overseas, although it got nominated for an Oscar. Heavily recommended.

Die Brücke yes thanks for the reminder, saw in 1959.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In the Netherlands anti war/anti militaristic are seen as the same thing.:p

Here is my perspective- Although there was a group of bad military people, the hero was a Marine Officer. You can't hold any organization as entirely bad, due to a few bad apples. :)

Here is a different example- When Avatar came out, it was described by a certain group of people as anti-human and anti-Christian because it describes a future where people had trashed the Earth, and anti-Christian because the locals believed in their God who made itself known through a tree. The movie was no such thing. It was just science fiction, not anti-anything.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Here is my perspective- Although there was a group of bad military people, the hero was a Marine Officer. You can't hold any organization as entirely bad, due to a few bad apples. :)

Here is a different example- When Avatar came out, it was described by a certain group of people as anti-human and anti-Christian because it describes a future where people had trashed the Earth, and anti-Christian because the locals believed in their God who made itself known through a tree. The movie was no such thing. It was just science fiction, not anti-anything.

I think that reason for the Anti-war/anti-militaristic coupling here in this part of Europe, is that we were occupied during the early 40's.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Very good idea for a thread.

'King and Country' - and underrated - and sobering - British movie from the mid sixties directed by the late, great Joseph Losey, (and featuring Tom Courtenay and Dirk Bogarde among others).

The adaptation (but characteristically, while actually rather good, not anything like as good as the original, superlative book by the excellent Pat Barker on which it was based), of 'Regeneration'.

Dr Strangelove (obviously - sheer class - and utterly brilliant).

Paths of Glory, certainly, excellent and intelligent movie.

I agree with the inclusion of MASH as an anti-war movie, but I don't think Das Boot (while an excellent movie) is a classical anti-war movie, as much as it is an attempt to show that not all Germans were fanatical Nazis, and that one could be a brave, patriotic, if clear-eyed soldier without necessarily supporting the war aims of own's own (loathsome) Government.

Catch-22 certainly; and, again, another case where the book it was based on is light years better than the movie.

The Accident - a thoughtful and very well-made Dutch movie (based on an excellent book of the same title by the Dutch writer Harry Mulisch).

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - a lovely, thoughtful, intelligent, nuanced British movie made during the Second World War; Winston Churchill loathed it, apparently, and attempted (unsuccessfully) to have it banned.

There are others which come to mind....Apocalypse Now, yes, most certainly, I'd include that on a list of anti-war movies, but I'd argue that Saving Private Ryan, and Avatar belong to other categories.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My favorite is MASH.

I love that movie.

I think that reason for the Anti-war/anti-militaristic coupling here in this part of Europe, is that we were occupied during the early 40's.

I guess this can apply to any genre, but war movies, can be "anti", showing the harm war does to society and to individuals and not just physical harm, I'd say Saving Private Ryan. Or it can be satirized as in Dr. Strange Love. Pro-war or propaganda = The Green Berets. And it can be more neutral attempt to document an event, maybe something like The Longest Day which my impression does a pretty good job of showing perspectives on both sides of the conflict.

BTW, I loved George C Scott as General Buck Turgidson and Slim Pickens as Maj. Kong in Dr. Strangelove. I would call it and Fail Safe the ultimate anti-war movies. I was 10 when my Dad took me to see Fail Safe in the theater. It made me feel ill. Of course back then we were doing the hide under the desk and kiss your ass goodbye drill in school. ;)

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011

another vote for that one, although I only watched it once.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Johnny Got His Gun. If this doesn't scare the crap out of you, I don't know what will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz6dAxRIwBY

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067277/

I really want to see this, I enquired as to why it was never released here in the Netherlands, the main reason was that the movie is about the War of 1914-1918.
I'm trying to locate a copy via public library Web Rotterdam.

Very good idea for a thread.

'King and Country' - and underrated - and sobering - British movie from the mid sixties directed by the late, great Joseph Losey, (and featuring Tom Courtenay and Dirk Bogarde among others).

The adaptation (but characteristically, while actually rather good, not anything like as good as the original, superlative book by the excellent Pat Barker on which it was based), of 'Regeneration'.

Dr Strangelove (obviously - sheer class - and utterly brilliant).

Paths of Glory, certainly, excellent and intelligent movie.

I agree with the inclusion of MASH as an anti-war movie, but I don't think Das Boot (while an excellent movie) is a classical anti-war movie, as much as it is an attempt to show that not all Germans were fanatical Nazis, and that one could be a brave, patriotic, if clear-eyed soldier without necessarily supporting the war aims of own's own (loathsome) Government.

Catch-22 certainly; and, again, another case where the book it was based on is light years better than the movie.

The Accident - a thoughtful and very well-made Dutch movie (based on an excellent book of the same title by the Dutch writer Harry Mulisch).

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - a lovely, thoughtful, intelligent, nuanced British movie made during the Second World War; Winston Churchill loathed it, apparently, and attempted (unsuccessfully) to have it banned.

There are others which come to mind....Apocalypse Now, yes, most certainly, I'd include that on a list of anti-war movies, but I'd argue that Saving Private Ryan, and Avatar belong to other categories.

Sorry to be such a nerd I think that you have the name wrong:eek:
But the real name of that fantastic movie is De Aanslag over the resistance movement here in the Netherlands.
De Aanslag translates as The Assault

I would recommend the following movie if you are interested in life in occupied Europe in WWII.
Winter in Wartime.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0795441/

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I really want to see this, I enquired as to why it was never released here in the Netherlands, the main reason was that the movie is about the War of 1914-1918.
I'm trying to locate a copy via public library Web Rotterdam.

Sorry to be such a nerd I think that you have the name wrong:eek:
But the real name of that fantastic movie is De Aanslag over the resistance movement here in the Netherlands.
De Aanslag translates as The Assault

I would recommend the following movie if you are interested in life in occupied Europe in WWII.
Winter in Wartime.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0795441/

Of course, you are right - I have the book somewhere on a shelf - and didn't bother checking the title before I posted (and - obviously - mixed it up with the British movie from the mid 60s of that name featuring Julie Christie and Dirk Bogarde).

Anyway, I saw the movie ("The Assault") sometime in the mid 80s at an art house cinema and thought it very good at the time, as it painted a subtle picture of trauma, loss, memory, motivations, and the long shadows cast by war.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.