Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
This thread is pointless 90% on the people on this forum just insult people constantly, a lot of Verizon phones have voice over LTE now so I'm guessing the iPhone will eventually have it also making this a null argument soon

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Tell you what, if you have this feature, all your family and "friends" is gonna be calling you up, "Hey John, am on the road, can you look up this web information for me? U could be a very popular man, if that's what you want! ;)

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Its funny that some would take sub-par phone connections and simultaneous data over reliability, that's all.

Um...inability to receive a call while using data IS a SEVERE reliability problem.

Why is "frequent degradation or loss of connectivity" excused just because it's not an issue of electromagnetic signal/noise ratio?

----------

This thread is pointless 90% on the people on this forum just insult people constantly, a lot of Verizon phones have voice over LTE now so I'm guessing the iPhone will eventually have it also making this a null argument soon

I need to get two iPhones THIS WEEK, if not TODAY. "Eventually" doesn't cut it.
Are you talking future versions, or expanded LTE network availability?
I asked the Verizon rep point-blank about simultaneous talk/data and he said "no" without caveats.

Really trying to figure out how to stay with Verizon, but I don't see any way around the "simultaneous voice/data" issue.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I mean really, how often do you surf and talk?

Man the last time I surfed the noise was so loud you could scream and nobody would hear you over the noise of the waves crashing to shore!

OOPS!

You mean surf the net and use the phone?

Not me!

I use the phone for phone calls occasionally, more for doing look-ups then anything else but never the two at the same time. However there may be someone with me on their phone talking to someone else about what we are looking into.

If I needed to talk and surf, I would take the call on my second phone and do the surfing on the smartphone but that is a very rare occasion.

----------

Um...inability to receive a call while using data IS a SEVERE reliability problem.

Are you saying that with Verizon if you are browsing the net with the iPhone it will not ring an incoming call?

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Are you saying that with Verizon if you are browsing the net with the iPhone it will not ring an incoming call?

The data will stop and the phone call will get priority... If on wifi, data will work while on a call.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
I find AT&T's feature allows me to be more productive for conference calls, which I am in at least one a day.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
a lot of Verizon phones have voice over LTE now

Technically, I don't think any Verizon LTE phone supports VoLTE because Verizon's network doesn't support it currently.

The iPhone 5 has one radio that handles voice and data between all frequencies. The other LTE handsets on VZW have two radios -- one for CDMA voice and another for LTE data. That's why someone can make a call on those other phones (which goes over the CDMA radio) and still surf over LTE simultaneously. I would imagine that Verizon will enable VoLTE at some point once their LTE network covers their entire 3G footprint. I hope the iPhone 5 is capable of VoLTE, but I'm not sure that it is.

Here's an interesting article on Verizon's future rollout of VoLTE and the advantages and potential drawbacks of VoLTE

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
About 6 months ago I started considering Verizon as a carrier replacement for AT&T. Knowing we'd go with iPhone 5s, and the consideration of no data + voice concurrently, I made a point of noting my use of this feature with my current phone (4S).

I didn't come up once. So I made the change to Verizon, and now have strong signal at the home/office (AT&T wouldn't even budge on a microcell to help our non-existant signal..).

If fact, the signal is so great, I'm dropping our landline service down to just the minimum (no VM, no LD, nothing...), and might even cancel that all together in the future.

A few months ago we dropped AT&T DSL for Comcast Biz Class ... we're almost AT&T free :D

Vizio

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
Never but it would be nice to have. Not giving up Verizon & My Unlimited Data for that one feature.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
The data will stop and the phone call will get priority... If on wifi, data will work while on a call.

I'm getting conflicting answers on that point. Others have said if you're using data connection incoming calls will go straight to voicemail. Someone else just indicated there isn't a problem at all when using LTE.

I need the correct answer in the next few hours. I need two iPhone 5s and have good but highly strained reasons to stay with Verizon and not switch.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Technically, I don't think any Verizon LTE phone supports VoLTE because Verizon's network doesn't support it currently.

The iPhone 5 has one radio that handles voice and data between all frequencies. The other LTE handsets on VZW have two radios -- one for CDMA voice and another for LTE data. That's why someone can make a call on those other phones (which goes over the CDMA radio) and still surf over LTE simultaneously. I would imagine that Verizon will enable VoLTE at some point once their LTE network covers their entire 3G footprint. I hope the iPhone 5 is capable of VoLTE, but I'm not sure that it is.

Here's an interesting article on Verizon's future rollout of VoLTE and the advantages and potential drawbacks of VoLTE

Yeah you're right, just forgot about the dual antenna thing, I just find this argument pointless because it won't actually be a problem soon and a lot of people don't actually use the feature

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm getting conflicting answers on that point. Others have said if you're using data connection incoming calls will go straight to voicemail. Someone else just indicated there isn't a problem at all when using LTE.

I need the correct answer in the next few hours. I need two iPhone 5s and have good but highly strained reasons to stay with Verizon and not switch.

Calls will come, data will stop.
It will not go into voicemail when you're using data.
Even if you're connected to verizon LTE it will do the same. Calls get 1st priority, data stops untill you end or reject the phone call.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
I've been a Verizon customer for years so that option has never been available. Not sure how much I would use it.

I'm either at home or at work so I am typically in wifi coverage for the vast majority of my day. On occasion, I have used the data features of the phone while on a phone call in wifi. But typically, I just reach for the iPad or MBA if I need to look something up while on a call.

I can see that for some people, this would be a very important feature. For me, it isn't. And as another user mentioned, not worth me switching carriers for.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
I hate, hate, HATE that people still use this argument to deter people from switching from ATT to VZW. I mean, how often do you REALLY find yourself needing this feature?...If you say you do in the car, you got problems and should stop driving/surfing/talking and just drive.

Conversation with 99% of the human race bore me, yet I must converse with them to pay for things in which I enjoy, hence I surf the web during most conversations.

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I use pocket informant and need to be online when scheduling appointments to sync with google calendar, so when I'm on the phone ill use Internet that way

also all my client files are online on drop box and I can edit them with documents to go and I do sometimes while driving and talking make short edits with the clients while riding as a passenger with my assistant driving

in other words, all the time

unknownbeing

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
New York
I've never understood carrier wars. Folks act like their carrier is their high school football team. And you're supposed to be loyal and root for them, insult the other guys and what not. I don't get it.:confused:

But then, I've never understood "repping" an area code either.:confused:

For some reason people love fighting about the stupidest things.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
LOL, wow at the plethora of responses this thread has gotten.

It's funny how people on here personally insult just for an opinion that was simply stated. Grow up please?

I was simply expressing displeasure at the innocuous extremes some go to to persuade others to stay or go, nothing more.

Its funny that some would take sub-par phone connections and simultaneous data over reliability, that's all.

And for the record, someone mentioned the VZW iPhone can't recieve phone calls while using cell data? LOL, how antiquated do you think the network really is?

I suppose to close, I, myself, do not think this is an important feature of choosing a network. Clearly most of you do, that's fine. I'd rather choose the latter of the two qualities I just listed.

And to reiterate how much of a non-issue this is, someone mentioned that I haven't resurfaced; its purely due to the fact I forgot about this thread. That's how much of a non-issue it is for ME.

Glad to see the responses though. Makes me realize how important others think they must be to be able to do multiple things at once to make it seem like they believe they are in some upper echelon of society ;)

And btw, as most people on ATT are on wifi also along with most of the consumers out there, which is readily available, both companies phones are almost identical feature-wise. I can do everything on wi-fi with CDMA that GSM can. And in the car, its not necessary for ME personally to talk and drive and read macrumors. Call me crazy, but i like to drive un-obstructed.

aaaah the good old "let me pretend I dont care about this when things don't go the way I expected" move... well played sir.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
Do anyone know if you can surf and talk at the same time if you put a sim from a GSM carrier in your Verizon phone? It's because of the CDMA radio after all isn't it?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've never used this feature, and I don't even know whether it's available with my operator (although I'm assuming so).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Do anyone know if you can surf and talk at the same time if you put a sim from a GSM carrier in your Verizon phone? It's because of the CDMA radio after all isn't it?

Correct.
If you're using a GSM network and connected to 3G then you can be on the phone and use carrier data.
That limitation is only when its connected to a CDMA carrier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.