Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Remember when Eric Cartman from "South Park" froze himself in snow so he wouldn't have to wait for the Nintendo Wii to come out? That's what you iPad 5 guys should do.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR

I'd like to see a difference between the 2 and 4 though...

Uh, well you can see the difference between the 2 and the 4 right now. From my perspective, whereas the 3 wasn't much of a temptation over my 64GB iPad 2, the iPad 4 was a much more significant temptation. However, the one thing that would have made it much less resistible was a 128GB option. Maybe with the 5...

Funny that you mention the Retina+ display. Earlier today, I was thinking the exact same thing (seriously). Realistically:
Retina+ (I really hope so, phones are at the 400+ PPI nowadays).

Good lord. I can understand the idea of a Retina+ display, but the need for that "+" to mean a much higher pixel resolution makes no sense to me. If you look at the math of how our eyes resolve image sizes, the current Retina display has pixels that are too small to see unless you either magnify them or move the screen to less than about 10" away from your face, if you have normal 20/20 vision. So, why would we want, let alone need, higher resolutions that this?

Now, what I'd like to see is a Retina display that can work better with ambient light, rather than requiring backlight for all display circumstances. Could you imagine an iPad with a display that reads like a magazine in sunlight, but still has a backlight for low light situations? Now that would be the Retina+ display that I'd like to see...

shopboy0301

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2011
New York
iPad 5 I will only buy it if......

I'll buy it if there will be a 128gb/256gb storage other than that,I'll stick to my Ipad 3 then just buy sea gate, for extra storage:p

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Lighter, thinner, with similar design and colours of actual iPad Mini, of course faster cpu/gpu again, 2GB Ram, IGZO display, new storage range: 32-64-128GB, GPS even in the Wifi only model, better camera and stereo speakers.

But we can talk about an iPad 5 like that in this period of the next year.

I have fear that it won't be that good if they upgrade the iPad line up in the next 5 months so stop bitching about the iPad 5 and if you're undecided buy an iPad 4 that will probably be the top product for the next 10 months. Then sell the iPad 4 (that will become like that actual iPad 2) and buy the iPad 5 will a little bit $/€/£ more.

Last edited:

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
A slim and light-weight iPad 5 would be phenomenal.

I'm eagerly anticipating the iPad mini 2, though. I just hope they'll be able to retain its form factor with retina display and all. I cannot wait. Hopefully it's released it by end of Spring.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I think it will be just thinner, lighter and faster, no further changes.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I'm with you! But, I very much doubt that this will ever come to pass. First of all, I don't think there are that many of us reading a lot of PDFs on the iPad (or reading much at all, to be honest). Second, the larger size would make a mess of apps, which are already suffering from having to design for three screen sizes.

I am really keen on Android's aspect ratio, because it enables Asian text to be enlarged and read quite easily (vertical). Unfortunately, this also results in PDFs getting squeezed on the sides for English (horizontal). There really isn't an A4 option out there for us, but I'd say the iPad's aspect ratio is one of the friendliest, and I doubt there is demand to tweak things.

To make the experience the best, you'll probably want to get a nice PDF reader (I prefer iAnnotate, but GoodReader and PDF Expert are great as well) that will enable you to easily zoom in, reduce the margins on the side, and read a PDF at almost the same size as A4.

I too would like an A4 sized iPad. It doesn't have to have more pixels, just a larger screen. This would be useful for working with my own documents and for when I use the iPad to present information to one or two other people.

It would also be useful for remotely connecting back to my Mac at home. I've tried this and it works OK but because the pixel density is so high and the screen is small it is difficult to tap on the correct targets. A larger screen (and higher resolution digitizer) would help a lot.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
We all know that the full-size iPad is rather heavy because of the huge 42.5 watt-hour battery powering the retina display. The key behind a redesign is in the screen technology. Sharp has been working on a new display tech called IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide). The retina display as it is right now is using old screen tech (amorphous silicon), this is the main problem behind the display. With Sharps technology (which allows light to be pushed through the pixels much easier) Apple can remove the second backlight for the current retina display, and by doing so, fix the bugs in the retina display such as unevenness, all while making the screen power usage significantly lower then even the iPad 2's display. Apple can then shrink the battery to be much lighter and thinner. No doubt the redesign will bring the diamond cut chamfered edges, and also a slate option to the black model. The form factor will be very similar to the iPad mini. As for specs, the iPad 5th generation will retain the A6X, but because of the reduced power usage, will be clocked a bit higher then the 4th generation. The camera will go to 8MP, finally catching up the the iPhone, storage will also be upgraded to 128GB (first time in 3 years).

As for the second generation iPad mini, this one will be getting the retina display using the IGZO display, this will allow Apple to put a 2048X1536 resolution in a screen that size, while still keeping it thin and light (people on the fourms are overlooking this). Chip will be an A6X, but clocked at 800MHz or so for power consumption. Camera will be 8MP, no redesign, and it will stay at 64GB.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Black/Slate | White/Silver
Chamfered Edges
Separate volume buttons (like iPhone 5/iPad Mini)
Lighting Port
4G
THIN and light as the iPad 2
Retina+ Display
Tactile Touch
8MP iSight Camera
1080 FaceTime Camera
Quadcore A8 Chip
32gb/64gb/128gb

It's the most Amazing iPad yet.

Getting your hopes up?

I think the iPad 5 would be almost as thin as the mini, and that's about it.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Why would they wanna make 8MP isight camera for a Tablet?????

For all i know, Front camera only is good enough. I never use my ipad camera to take photo and my Ipad 2 supposed to be the lightest one. Those who held up their Ipad to take photo in concert are real stupid. Who with the right mind would do that unless they want to make use of somthing practically useless.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
lol at those people saying retina + display when there is absolutely no point in it and would force app developers to make update to their apps. Not gonna happen just because samsuck want to use it as a marketing term.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
We all know that the full-size iPad is rather heavy because of the huge 42.5 watt-hour battery powering the retina display. The key behind a redesign is in the screen technology. Sharp has been working on a new display tech called IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide). The retina display as it is right now is using old screen tech (amorphous silicon), this is the main problem behind the display. With Sharps technology (which allows light to be pushed through the pixels much easier) Apple can remove the second backlight for the current retina display, and by doing so, fix the bugs in the retina display such as unevenness, all while making the screen power usage significantly lower then even the iPad 2's display. Apple can then shrink the battery to be much lighter and thinner. No doubt the redesign will bring the diamond cut chamfered edges, and also a slate option to the black model. The form factor will be very similar to the iPad mini. As for specs, the iPad 5th generation will retain the A6X, but because of the reduced power usage, will be clocked a bit higher then the 4th generation. The camera will go to 8MP, finally catching up the the iPhone, storage will also be upgraded to 128GB (first time in 3 years).

I agree with you on many things but I would like to add to that:

In my opinion, I think we might see a new variant of the A6X ( based most likely on the 28nm process of TSMC. Rumours mills have indicated that, and its a likely scenario. Samsung's 32nm A6X might continue in the iPad 4 and till a complete switch over. They need a stop gap chip till mid-2014 or beyond.

The IGZO technology in both iPads will definitely bring the power consumption & heat down.

My only doubt is whether we will see Qualcomm owned Pixtronix's MEMS shutter-based color display technology will make its entrance in iPad 5. it improves image quality and enabled to reduce power consumption by 75% in comparison with LCD panels, etc. It doesnt require any color filter or polarizing plate. As a result, it becomes possible to efficiently transmit light from the backlight. ( Profit margin per product goes up for Apple). There are enough rumors stating that Qualcomm wants Sharp to combine that technology with IGZO. It has two auotmated interchangeable formats. In one mode, the display functions as a transmissive display that uses backlight. And, in the other mode, it functions as a reflective display that uses ambient light. This could be the RETINA + we might all see after all :)

PowerVR SGX554MP4 graphics processor in all probability will be replaced with Series 6 "Rogue" cranking up the performance. The Qualcomm chip will be upgraded to the LTE advanced MD9625 / MD9225, making the LTE more globally applicable.

Hopefully some new development in the battery tech might spice things up.

As for the second generation iPad mini, this one will be getting the retina display using the IGZO display, this will allow Apple to put a 2048X1536 resolution in a screen that size, while still keeping it thin and light (people on the fourms are overlooking this). Chip will be an A6X, but clocked at 800MHz or so for power consumption. Camera will be 8MP, no redesign, and it will stay at 64GB.

The iPad Mini with its smaller screen size and less pixels to drive might actually get only a A6 and not an "X" variant, if it picks up the Retina.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The iPad Mini with its smaller screen size and less pixels to drive might actually get only a A6 and not an "X" variant, if it picks up the Retina.

The non-retina iPad mini has exactly the same pixel number as the non-retina iPad 1/2. So if it goes retina, it will be the same resolution as iPad 3/4.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
The non-retina iPad mini has exactly the same pixel number as the non-retina iPad 1/2. So if it goes retina, it will be the same resolution as iPad 3/4.

Indeed. It doesn't matter if the retina display is 7.9 or 9.7. It's the number of pixels that require the GPU grunt of an A5X or later.

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro
There will be just a few updates. Thinner and lighter like mini, new igzo display.
Chip will be a6 on a new manufacturing process. Ram the same.

And then in ipad6 we can expect same design, with better hardware a7 chip, and then probably 2gb of ram.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
are you sure it will have a 1080P camera ? I also had a similar thread running wherein I was asking people will the iPad-5 have a 1080P Facetime Camera. Majority said No !! Highly Unlikely !!

I have my doubts about 1080p considering ipad 5 but with apple anything is likely. Since the iPhone 5 got it, the may re-introduce it and call it the new Facetime Super HD and brag about it being amazingly clear and then that becomes the standard across all the products.

Keep your fingers crossed, and iPad 5 might be the one to get.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Will the Ipad 5 come out on March 2013 or October 2013?:mad:
i think neither..i believe its going to be a mid june launch with availability from july...driving the sales into sept where the iphone will take the centre stage..and a good selection into the holiday time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.