Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keenupie

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Washington DC
Hello,

It's amazing considering since 2002 I have had this site as my Homepage and used it when I converted to a Mac then (Powerbook) and now I finally am registering, Sorry if it's a crime but just have a lot of questions about iOS / iPhone / iPad and the whole system which is confusing me,

I understand most of these are answered multiple times but believe me am going bonkers getting easy picture on how to do it, Sorry again but someone please spare some time and answer if possible?

My Wife has been using an iPhone 4 since 2 years, and I have been on a BlackBerry, but last week went and got myself a iPhone 5 16GB, and absolutely love it. Along with it also got the iPad and the iPad Mini, and then the next day we also replaced out Mid 2010 13" Macbook Pro with Mid 2012 Macbook Pro,

Now the questions,

1. She has an Apple ID and I have another, and using her ID I got FIFA 12 from iTunes Store last year and now that it's no more on iTunes how can I also get it on my Phone? I Tried backup her phone to iTunes but I am not able to extract just one App out from there into my phone.

2. Every time I plug the iPad / iPhone into the computer it keeps saying if I sync I will lose everything on the iPad, does it mean all our devices will have the same songs / movies? Will I also lose the apps? Also I keep goofing up the songs and twice I've ended up having both our phones with the same song library, and at one point lost 2 movies on my phone and I have no idea how.

I have the following options 'checked in iTunes' (Manually Manage Music / Videos and Sync with this device over wi-fi)

3. My iOS Devices still show them as being connected to the previous computer, is there any way to disable this? I Did de-authorize both my Apple ID's on the older computer, but I can no longer use Wi-Fi Sync on the new computer?

4. When I purchase an App / Song on my iPhone would I also be able to use it on Wife's phone and our iPads?

5. Is there any way to stream movies on a Windows computer to iOS devices? I use HomeSharing from Mac to iOS Devices.

6. If there is an App like 'Pages' on iPad and iPhone, Would I need to pay twice to have them? Or just one purchase gives me both?

7. I read a few comics on ComiXology on a friends Galaxy S3, it has a wonderful guided view when reading Graphic Novels etc. is that how the iBook store Graphic Novels are? Or are they just full pages you read?

I might just have more questions which I will update as I remember or get stuck with but until then anyone bothering to help on the above really thanks a lot, and please don't blast me I understand some of the above must be really easy for most here, just trying to get the hang of it,

Lastly, perhaps a wrong section but could someone help me how can I setup a home network on a Windows 7 PC where I can easily browse folders on my Macbook?

Thanks a lot for the help,

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Hello,

It's amazing considering since 2002 I have had this site as my Homepage and used it when I converted to a Mac then (Powerbook) and now I finally am registering, Sorry if it's a crime but just have a lot of questions about iOS / iPhone / iPad and the whole system which is confusing me,

I understand most of these are answered multiple times but believe me am going bonkers getting easy picture on how to do it, Sorry again but someone please spare some time and answer if possible?

My Wife has been using an iPhone 4 since 2 years, and I have been on a BlackBerry, but last week went and got myself a iPhone 5 16GB, and absolutely love it. Along with it also got the iPad and the iPad Mini, and then the next day we also replaced out Mid 2010 13" Macbook Pro with Mid 2012 Macbook Pro,

Now the questions,

1. She has an Apple ID and I have another, and using her ID I got FIFA 12 from iTunes Store last year and now that it's no more on iTunes how can I also get it on my Phone? I Tried backup her phone to iTunes but I am not able to extract just one App out from there into my phone.

2. Every time I plug the iPad / iPhone into the computer it keeps saying if I sync I will lose everything on the iPad, does it mean all our devices will have the same songs / movies? Will I also lose the apps? Also I keep goofing up the songs and twice I've ended up having both our phones with the same song library, and at one point lost 2 movies on my phone and I have no idea how.

I have the following options 'checked in iTunes' (Manually Manage Music / Videos and Sync with this device over wi-fi)

3. My iOS Devices still show them as being connected to the previous computer, is there any way to disable this? I Did de-authorize both my Apple ID's on the older computer, but I can no longer use Wi-Fi Sync on the new computer?

4. When I purchase an App / Song on my iPhone would I also be able to use it on Wife's phone and our iPads?

5. Is there any way to stream movies on a Windows computer to iOS devices? I use HomeSharing from Mac to iOS Devices.

6. If there is an App like 'Pages' on iPad and iPhone, Would I need to pay twice to have them? Or just one purchase gives me both?

7. I read a few comics on ComiXology on a friends Galaxy S3, it has a wonderful guided view when reading Graphic Novels etc. is that how the iBook store Graphic Novels are? Or are they just full pages you read?

I might just have more questions which I will update as I remember or get stuck with but until then anyone bothering to help on the above really thanks a lot, and please don't blast me I understand some of the above must be really easy for most here, just trying to get the hang of it,

Lastly, perhaps a wrong section but could someone help me how can I setup a home network on a Windows 7 PC where I can easily browse folders on my Macbook?

Thanks a lot for the help,

Hi, will try my best to answer your questions here.:)

First problem: Sign in your wife's Apple ID on your iPhone 5, go into the App Store, go under updates -> Purchased, look for FIFA 12 and you can download it onto your iPhone 5 at no additional cost. You can then sign out of her Apple ID after that.

2nd: Normally, the computer will just sync everything that's in that particular iTunes into your devices. So, most likely it will replace the things on your iPad, although I'm quite confused by your description here..

3rd: There's an option to enable wifi sync in iTunes. You have to check the box in order for it to work.

4th: No, your wife won't be able to get the same song without paying, as both of you have different Apple IDs. You could, however, log in your Apple ID on her iPhone 4 so that she can download the same song for free. Only iCloud devices under the same Apple ID, then you can get the song automatically downloaded on all your devices.

5th: Not sure about that because I don't use home sharing.

6th: Normally you'll only to pay once for an app and you can download it for free on the other devices. UNLESS there's a specific version for the iPad, eg. Plants vs Zombies HD, then you'll need to pay for it again.

7th: Books should be full pages when reading from the iBook app.

That's all I can help you with. Hope others can contribute their input as well so you'll get more information to help you.:)

90miles

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012

If you can log-in and download with her account on your phone then log back out yes, but I'm not sure you can do it since its been removed from the store.

Can't help you with that one.

Not sure how it goes with iOS 6, but this thread sums it up for iOS 5.

Can't help you with that.

You have to pay twice(desktop + iOS) but you should pay once for the iOS version. this is the app.

Can't help again, sorry.

Keenupie

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Washington DC
Thanks so much for helping, have added further questions in Bold,

Thank you really,

First problem: Sign in your wife's Apple ID on your iPhone 5, go into the App Store, go under updates -> Purchased, look for FIFA 12 and you can download it onto your iPhone 5 at no additional cost. You can then sign out of her Apple ID after that.

Thanks, for some reason when I go to purchase history Fifa 12 does not appear, I find it strange, and we just have two Apple ID's.

2nd: Normally, the computer will just sync everything that's in that particular iTunes into your devices. So, most likely it will replace the things on your iPad, although I'm quite confused by your description here..

Sorry about not being clear, what I mean is is there any way to just have my wife's songs on her devices and my songs on my devices? For Some reason the iTunes ends up creating a parallel library on both our devices and now suddenly some songs have duplicates :(

4th: No, your wife won't be able to get the same song without paying, as both of you have different Apple IDs.

Thanks for the above so I can just log into her device using the same ID while purchasing and it will be on both? Any Idea what's the max device limit for this?

7th: Books should be full pages when reading from the iBook app.

So ComiXology will be better? Or will I be able to read a purchased comic on both apps? (Sorry if I am asking a lot)

If you can log-in and download with her account on your phone then log back out yes, but I'm not sure you can do it since its been removed from the store.

Is there any way to move Fifa Into the computer and then I restore Fifa to my new Phone?

You have to pay twice(desktop + iOS) but you should pay once for the iOS version. this is the app.

Thanks, Desktop + iOS I understand I pay twice, but if an app exists for iPad and iPhone then I just need to pay once right? Eg. Pages?

And Is it possible to store files / Photos and Documents on iCloud like Skydrive etc?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks so much for helping, have added further questions in Bold,

Thank you really,

FiFA 12 is probably not in your purchase history since it has been removed from the App Store, which means you can't get it anymore. However, if the FiFA 12 app is still on your wife's iPhone 4, and assuming both of you sync your devices to the same computer, you can sync your wife's iPhone 4 to your com and then sync your iPhone 5 to transfer it by selecting it under the "apps" tab in iTunes.

If both of you sync your phones to the same com, under the "music" tab in iTunes, instead of syncing the entire library, you can select sync "selected playlists, artists, albums and genres", and then individually select with songs you want for each iPhone.

Yes, you can just log onto her phone using your Apple ID to help her get the song. There's no limit to this, as long as you purchase a song, you can get it across multiple devices using just your Apple ID.

Don't read much books on my iDevice, so I can't help you much with that. Hope this additional information helps you.:)

Keenupie

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Washington DC
Thanks a lot mate, you pretty much have made it easy for me to work with iTunes. For some reason on the Mac every time I tried to sync her apps, FIFA 12 never moved but then downloaded iTunes on the PC and I was able to do it.

Also anyone good with iBook and Comixology who can help with the book issue?

Lastly is there any app with which I can create editable and fillable forms for my workplace? And also print them from there?

And any chance Google will ever release a Gtalk App on iOS ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.