Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayz2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Bought the DVD at WalMart today, kids dying to transfer to their ipads. Gave it a go with HandBrake Mac however was not successful.

Is anyone else having problems with this one or is it just me?

Penn Jennings

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Michigan
If you are using handbrake I would sugest putting the DVD into a player and starting the movie. While the movie is playing, look at the "title number" that is playing. For Brave it might be 14, or 44 or something like that that.

Once you know the title number, start handbrake, go to file -> open source (Specific title) and enter that title number. BAM, your done.

PS, this was asked and answered a few days ago as well.

garyj

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
I have the same issue, and I have tried with "specific title" option. It scans it, but has a lot of issues. For instance, it shows the pixar animation intro twice and then skips parts. It's not any errors with the DVD. It is brand new and clean. I can play it, but when it tries to rip it, it has these errors.

I have had to do the "title sepcific source" on other DVDs, but this one appears to have more serious issues to protect the item. It happens on chapter 1, so I have tried multiple options with just scanning chapter 1, and I get the same issue every time. Not matter which title, no matter how I alter the video. It seems doomed...

Any help would be great.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Use MakeMKV to rip it first, then encode with handbrake like the above poster said. Companies are trying to find ways to circumvent piracy and copying and are putting in small tweaks that break programs that rip movies, handbrake included. MakeMKV is updated with this functionality more often and does a better job 90% of the time.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
For me it was title 6.

Cancel the open window and choose File - open source (title specific). Enter title 6. Rip away.

FYI RipIt failed still on the one.

-Kevin

oldTimerR

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Probably related to Disney's copy protection to keep people from making bootleg dvds to be sold on the street. I think to be 1000% legal, you should have bought the dvd/blueray with Digital copy code... (I'm not a lawyer, but it is Disney)

example of Disney and backups: http://jasongriffey.net/wp/2010/03/13/disney-libraries-and-copyright

Ended up not able to defeat this one so i followed another macrumors members advice. Bought the 5 disc package @ Target for 27.99, kept the digital copy and chucked the rest of the discs on eBay. Came out ahead + made a profit, my time turned out to be worth more.

Apple Just Do It :apple:

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Weird.....must be different discs out there. For me Handbrake title 6 worked like a charm!

-Kevin

houstonog

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Open Source (Title Specific)

Call me a newbie but....I almost broke down like others and bought the DVDs with all the others. Instead, I poke around handbrake and found how to open source by a specific title. In the menu, click on File, Open Source (Title Specific), enter 6, and you will be good to go.

6 is specific to Brave. Play Brave and when the movie start look at the title number. The title for Brave should be 6/99.

My kids can now enjoy Brave on the iPad or Roksbox via our NAS.

WalterElement

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
More Brave questions

I have been opening the specific title (6) and it seems to work but Handbrake only encodes the first 20 minutes of the film. I must be doing something wrong.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
how much free ram do you have i have had errors when all my ram is used and osx will not free any up i have to manually purge the ram to actually get handbrake not to error out after that

snaab4

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
The killer now is that they make you buy the 3D Blue Ray to get the digital download! Arrgghhh! And it just took over 11 hours for MakeMKV to do its rip. No Handbrake yet...

Miqs

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2013
Bedfordshire, UK
If you are using handbrake I would sugest putting the DVD into a player and starting the movie. While the movie is playing, look at the "title number" that is playing. For Brave it might be 14, or 44 or something like that that.

Once you know the title number, start handbrake, go to file -> open source (Specific title) and enter that title number. BAM, your done.

PS, this was asked and answered a few days ago as well.

Just bought the DVD and have the same problem. Having read the thread I unfortunately still have problems. When I play the dvd in :apple: DVD Player and locate the menu bar at the bottom of the screen I then try to click the "title" button but it says it is " not permitted"! So cannot follow the above instructions. What do I do now? :confused:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Just bought the DVD and have the same problem. Having read the thread I unfortunately still have problems. When I play the dvd in :apple: DVD Player and locate the menu bar at the bottom of the screen I then try to click the "title" button but it says it is " not permitted"! So cannot follow the above instructions. What do I do now? :confused:

Try using VLC instead of DVD Player.

newmaccy

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
Title number!

For me my Dvd player stated title 91!! will try this first -

Now I am trying 6 as 91 was only 31minutes long!!

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I couldnt rip Brave properly either, so I just torrented it instead. Hows that for your ****** DRM Disney, which didn't do you anything, except annoy your paying costumer?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Play the movie as normal then right click on the center of the screen. A menu will show up in the center of your screen. 2/3 of the way down the menu, you will see the title selection. Mouse over it and you will see the title number.

I found that MakeMKV worked on the DVD movies that handbrake couldn't rip.

----------

Well 6 nor 91 worked!!!, think I'll have to let the kids reck the dvd then!!!!:confused:

When you start handbrake, if you want to open source title specific you immediately have to hit the cancel button. You can then go to the file menu and select open source title specific.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.