Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:14 AM   #1
RSL
macrumors regular

Google hires Kurzweil

Google hires crackpot *cough* genius.

http://www.slashgear.com/google-hire...weil-15261054/

Maybe Larry Page wants to live to 150?
RSL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:17 AM   #2
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Shame Apple didn't hire him. Then we could all talk about how brilliant he is.
Renzatic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:34 PM   #3
boss.king
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
Google hires crackpot *cough* genius.

http://www.slashgear.com/google-hire...weil-15261054/

Maybe Larry Page wants to live to 150?
Crackpot? How so? His predictions were fairly accurate.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:00 AM   #4
RSL
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss.king View Post
Crackpot? How so? His predictions were fairly accurate.
Yeah I guess his predictions about computers getting smaller are quite accurate. But anyone making predictions about life itself, like living forever, AI in 20 years, writing all of your brain's data (if that even makes sense) to a computer, etc., especially someone with no scientific background in the field in question, sounds like a crank.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:59 PM   #5
boss.king
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Yeah I guess his predictions about computers getting smaller are quite accurate. But anyone making predictions about life itself, like living forever, AI in 20 years, writing all of your brain's data (if that even makes sense) to a computer, etc., especially someone with no scientific background in the field in question, sounds like a crank.
What about the predictions such as being able to ask your phone questions and self driving cars (from your article no less). What would this guy actually have to do to impress you?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:13 PM   #6
smoledman
macrumors 65816

He's a crackpot, I don't see him giving anything useful.
smoledman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:21 AM   #7
RSL
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss.king View Post
What about the predictions such as being able to ask your phone questions and self driving cars (from your article no less). What would this guy actually have to do to impress you?
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am impressed with his computer predictions/tech work. But his claims about AI are definitely crackpotish. For one thing, he doesn't seem to understand how the brain works, see http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2...-not-understa/.

I'm a scientist and know how difficult science is. In my field nobody (even the greatest geniuses) makes predictions, for the simple reason that you cannot know what obstacles lie in the path to realizing an idea until you actually can prove that it works.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:17 AM   #8
boss.king
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am impressed with his computer predictions/tech work. But his claims about AI are definitely crackpotish. For one thing, he doesn't seem to understand how the brain works, see http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2...-not-understa/.

I'm a scientist and know how difficult science is. In my field nobody (even the greatest geniuses) makes predictions, for the simple reason that you cannot know what obstacles lie in the path to realizing an idea until you actually can prove that it works.
Fair enough, you make a good point.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion