Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I don't think the ipad mini thin bezel would work on the fat ipad. Even if the Gen 5 gets much lighter, the form factor wouldn't make holding with the thin bezel comfortable. Yes, I know the mini has tweaks so you can rest some of your thumb on the screen, but with the fat ipad's form factor, you'd have to have a lot of your thumb on the screen with a thin bezel.

As for wish list.... stereo speakers, implemented as a speaker on each of the 4 edges so the sound field changes when you switch from portrait to landscape, maintaining stereo.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I agree with you on many things but I would like to add to that:

In my opinion, I think we might see a new variant of the A6X ( based most likely on the 28nm process of TSMC. Rumours mills have indicated that, and its a likely scenario. Samsung's 32nm A6X might continue in the iPad 4 and till a complete switch over. They need a stop gap chip till mid-2014 or beyond.

The IGZO technology in both iPads will definitely bring the power consumption & heat down.

My only doubt is whether we will see Qualcomm owned Pixtronix's MEMS shutter-based color display technology will make its entrance in iPad 5. it improves image quality and enabled to reduce power consumption by 75% in comparison with LCD panels, etc. It doesnt require any color filter or polarizing plate. As a result, it becomes possible to efficiently transmit light from the backlight. ( Profit margin per product goes up for Apple). There are enough rumors stating that Qualcomm wants Sharp to combine that technology with IGZO. It has two auotmated interchangeable formats. In one mode, the display functions as a transmissive display that uses backlight. And, in the other mode, it functions as a reflective display that uses ambient light. This could be the RETINA + we might all see after all :)

PowerVR SGX554MP4 graphics processor in all probability will be replaced with Series 6 "Rogue" cranking up the performance. The Qualcomm chip will be upgraded to the LTE advanced MD9625 / MD9225, making the LTE more globally applicable.

Hopefully some new development in the battery tech might spice things up.

The iPad Mini with its smaller screen size and less pixels to drive might actually get only a A6 and not an "X" variant, if it picks up the Retina.

Well, if the iPad mini drives the same 2048X1536 display, making it 326ppi, it will have to be an A6X, I don't think apple will make developers code for yet another resolution.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Well, if the iPad mini drives the same 2048X1536 display, making it 326ppi, it will have to be an A6X, I don't think apple will make developers code for yet another resolution.

Well, I have my doubts of the A6X variant for the Mini, simply because it will make it on-par with the full size iPad for starters, and that will continue to cannibalize the bigger iPad sales. Down clocking the speed also won't make it much of a difference. They need to keep it a generation or slightly behind, to ensure that paying a premium for the bigger isn't limited to a bigger screen.

Secondly, the dpi of the ipad 1 and 2 were 132dpi whereas because of the smaller screen ( and similar resolution) the ipad mini has 163 dpi.I think they will utilise the A6, as they wouldn't to give the mini the quad-core graphic treatment, and stick to the 3-graphic core treatment of the iphone 5. making it that powerful, would literally take the slightly better yet bigger iPad out of the equation. We are likely to see a jump to 1GB of RAM, while the other features of the Mini should remain more or less same. e.g. 5mp camera, etc. I have a big feeling they are going to play the same game they play with iPhone and iPod touch, with Mini going to get only 50%-60% features of the full size ipad.

StarkInc

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
Really? Are we really already talking about the iPad 5? The ipad 4 still has the umbilical cord attached and we already the ipad 5 talks start. Wow.

iPad 4 = iPad 3S.

The only reason that Apple replaced the ipad 3 just after 9 months was for the full range should have lightning contact. No new revolutionary upgrades for iPad 4.

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
Yes how about stereo speakers on the front of the ipad that way when you watch videos you can hear it without blaring the sound at everyone in front of you.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Yes how about stereo speakers on the front of the ipad that way when you watch videos you can hear it without blaring the sound at everyone in front of you.

Although I would love it to be in the front, seeing Apple's design aesthetics, I doubt its going to change. My only hope is that they switch over to dual (stereo) speakers and two sides of the device. ( They attempt that..and they could pick a fight with Samsung for copying their tablet :p)

I would be really happy to see some new UI changes to go with the new hardware. e.g. File management system that allows you to move files around. I absolutely detest the fact that to do anything on the iPad, even now, I have to depend on a computer. Step out of this crappy controlling nature and give us something useful. Apple already refuses to give us USB 3.0 or a card reader that allows you to freely drag and move around wt u want..and what they do give is some crummy adapter. I seriously hope the file management takes the right route this time.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
I would like to see a a bigger storage for iPad & iPhone Games and apps are getting bigger and you do need the extra space

128GB would be perfect to store my movies

njr140

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
I want this on the ipad 5: (no particular order)
Retina display, but a way to keep it cool
Design like the ipad mini, separate volume buttons.
Light. Make it really light and thin,
Stereo speakers, but NOT have them in the back where you have to cup your hand around it to hear it
A6x chip, quad core
Keep the same bezel around the screen. The thin one works on the mini, but it would be hard to have it on the full size.
8mp camera with LED FLASH
Would like a 1080p FaceTime, but that probably won't happen
New software: add some widgets, make it interesting
Not a physical home button, I don't really see the point anymore when it can be just a touch
Vibrate. Why can the iPhone vibrate, but not the ipad..?
Same great battery life
Full screen safari (I know this has to do with the software)
Oh, and bigger sizes!! 32, 64, 128, 256

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I want this on the ipad 5: (no particular order)
Retina display, but a way to keep it cool
Design like the ipad mini, separate volume buttons.
Light. Make it really light and thin,
Stereo speakers, but NOT have them in the back where you have to cup your hand around it to hear it
A6x chip, quad core
Keep the same bezel around the screen. The thin one works on the mini, but it would be hard to have it on the full size.
8mp camera with LED FLASH
Would like a 1080p FaceTime, but that probably won't happen
New software: add some widgets, make it interesting
Not a physical home button, I don't really see the point anymore when it can be just a touch
Vibrate. Why can the iPhone vibrate, but not the ipad..?
Same great battery life
Full screen safari (I know this has to do with the software)
Oh, and bigger sizes!! 32, 64, 128, 256

ipad 5 will will have A7X chip not A6X and likey be the same has the other with 16GB 32GB and 64GB may be this may be we could seee a 128GB but dont get your hops up on that

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Well, I have my doubts of the A6X variant for the Mini, simply because it will make it on-par with the full size iPad for starters, and that will continue to cannibalize the bigger iPad sales. Down clocking the speed also won't make it much of a difference. They need to keep it a generation or slightly behind, to ensure that paying a premium for the bigger isn't limited to a bigger screen.

Secondly, the dpi of the ipad 1 and 2 were 132dpi whereas because of the smaller screen ( and similar resolution) the ipad mini has 163 dpi.I think they will utilise the A6, as they wouldn't to give the mini the quad-core graphic treatment, and stick to the 3-graphic core treatment of the iphone 5. making it that powerful, would literally take the slightly better yet bigger iPad out of the equation. We are likely to see a jump to 1GB of RAM, while the other features of the Mini should remain more or less same. e.g. 5mp camera, etc. I have a big feeling they are going to play the same game they play with iPhone and iPod touch, with Mini going to get only 50%-60% features of the full size ipad.

It currently has 100% of the full sized iPad features. If you define features your post might make more sense! What is with the mindset that the Mini can't be as good as the full sized one? Your post annoys me! In time, you might find that it excels over the full sized one....if it is selling 2 to 1 like some sites are stating, Apple will not scrimp on its features,,,just to pacify full sized iPad owners.

----------

iPad 4 = iPad 3S.

The only reason that Apple replaced the ipad 3 just after 9 months was for the full range should have lightning contact. No new revolutionary upgrades for iPad 4.

iPad 3 = an experiment which consumers still bought: despite a weight and heat increase and more lagging than any other iPad. iPad 4 was a correction to these issues, but also fails. The sooner a redisigned ipad 5 comes out the better.

----------

I don't think the ipad mini thin bezel would work on the fat ipad. Even if the Gen 5 gets much lighter, the form factor wouldn't make holding with the thin bezel comfortable. Yes, I know the mini has tweaks so you can rest some of your thumb on the screen, but with the fat ipad's form factor, you'd have to have a lot of your thumb on the screen with a thin bezel.

As for wish list.... stereo speakers, implemented as a speaker on each of the 4 edges so the sound field changes when you switch from portrait to landscape, maintaining stereo.

The full size iPad also has these software tweaks.

Henry69

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Since everyone is making predictions... :D

- iPad mini design, but with the same bezel as iPad 4 and before (I don't want to put my thumb on the screen, I want to see the whole screen)
- 16, 32 or 64 GB (32, 64 or 128 would be too good)
- A7X CPU, knowing Apple I think it's going to be triple-core 'cause even in 2013 quad-core is too much considering how smooth iOS runs on dual-core
- for GPU, still quad-core but of course x times better than the previous one.
- as for memory, if they go triple-core I think it'll be 1.5 GB RAM or 2 GB RAM if they go quad-core with the CPU
- Cameras.. maybe make the fron one FullHD, as I don't see the need to have on an iPad the cameras on iPhone 5, yet.
- stereo speakers
- and one of the most important things, imo, the weight. Hoping for it to shed about 100 - 150 g to make it weight 550 g or 500 g(would be great!)

and ( this is not about Apple :D just smth important for me in order to buy one ) if Microsoft does a great job with Office 2013 for iPad I won't hesitate a second to buy one... cause then I won't need a laptop anymore.

Darth Stig

macrumors newbie
For legal reasons...

It would be an A7X chip (following the pattern).
Retina+ display??? What is the point in more PPI when you can't tell lol

Yes, it should be the A7X continuing on the line, however APPLE will be exposing themselves to legal issues as that is a trademarked name owned by another company (yes, yes, it's never stopped them before ...iPhone anybody). It may not be as linear, but given recent events and their bleating over trademark and patent issues, it would look pretty bad to a court for them to then go ahead and use someone else's trademarked name/property.

Intel had the same issue with their old chip design...could trademark a name but not a string of numbers, hence 486 was replaced by Pentium, not 586. AMD did call their 486 follow on line 586 then moved into Atholon.

If I were an Apple exec I'd go with A8X, and quickly...before anyone gets in ahead of them and blocks their use of that as well!!

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Yes, it should be the A7X continuing on the line, however APPLE will be exposing themselves to legal issues as that is a trademarked name owned by another company (yes, yes, it's never stopped them before ...iPhone anybody). It may not be as linear, but given recent events and their bleating over trademark and patent issues, it would look pretty bad to a court for them to then go ahead and use someone else's trademarked name/property.

Intel had the same issue with their old chip design...could trademark a name but not a string of numbers, hence 486 was replaced by Pentium, not 586. AMD did call their 486 follow on line 586 then moved into Atholon.

If I were an Apple exec I'd go with A8X, and quickly...before anyone gets in ahead of them and blocks their use of that as well!!

They have 120 billion in cash, im sure they could use some of that to negotiate the trademark :p. What do you think of the retina+, i don't see why people want higher PPI when you can't tell... (at least if you don't hold it up to your eyes)

starlight2

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
A4 iPAD

For the iPad 5 I would like to see Apple go to three models for the ipad: mini standard and Pro

Key feature I want in the Pro is full A4 Sized screen (better performance and battery life would be nice too)

I currrently use my iPad to hold pdf versions of documents so I don't have to as many papers when I travel (which I do a lot)

Problem is that the current screen cannot render an A4 Page adequately. If I display a full page on the screen the text is too small for my 54 yr old eyes (even with specs) and if I render it full size I have to scroll to see the full page neither is a good option. (particularly for documents containing tables formatted for an A4 page)

Just like ibook pro users who pay for the extra ports, processor speed etc I would pay for a bigger screen. I suspect I am not alone.

Given I normally carry a portfolio with the ipad and some papers in it now the additional size would not be a problem. Also more screen real estate would be nice for browsing on the sofa.

Not everyone wants the smallest device possible.

I also had hoped to get a Tablet with the A4 size factor by now,maybe an Android tablet who ever does it first. I suspect lots of other 50+ users would too, but with this sites ultra small Capactha I suspect many give up on trying to affirm this format. I finally got registered after three failed attempts to read the Capactha! I saw little reason to buy the IPad Mini since a full sized IPad is only a little more. I already use my IPAD as a phone so don't need a smaller IPhone. My Ipad makes free VOIP calls over WiFI from Home,Office,Coffee Shops,Airports & Hotels.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
128GB capacity @ the 64GB price point, Apple needs to quit this scamming of flash prices. They've dropped significantly enough that the 128GB wouldn't cost much (if any) more than the 64GB capacity point did back in 2009.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.