Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drewski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Somewhere else
Found this while digging through some old boxes in the basement. Still unopened - I guess someone wasn't serious enough about their "evangelizing." :rolleyes:

2rnx0ch.jpg

w97adv.jpg

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I have a whole box of MacAdvocate "kits" lying around somewhere...

(Scans from a few years ago when I got it.)

Attachments

• booklets.jpg
    booklets.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 87
  • DearEnthusiast.png
    DearEnthusiast.png
    397.4 KB · Views: 105
  • MacAdvKit.jpeg
    MacAdvKit.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 113
  • MacAdvocate.jpeg
    MacAdvocate.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 109
  • AppleandNeXT.png
    AppleandNeXT.png
    159.6 KB · Views: 111

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth

Hmm, Just curious as to what resolution and bitrate that "1984" commercial might have been.

Weren't these supplied within PowerMac 7300, 7600's ? I recall Game packs and other software "packs" coming with those.

Drewski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Somewhere else

"Value: Apple is concerned about your investment. That's why many Macintosh models ship with processors on daughter cards so they can be replaced with new, faster processors as they become available, without having to purchase a new computer."

LOL.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
We also know how well that went. That's of course, referring to the PPC Ready 68K machines. They ended up getting hit with class action and Daystar came to the rescue.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
We also know how well that went. That's of course, referring to the PPC Ready 68K machines. They ended up getting hit with class action and Daystar came to the rescue.

Don't forget the desktop PCI PowerMacs sold from May '95 onward, the PowerMac 7500 being the first, also had CPU daughterboards. Again, barely supporting an upgrade path, it was left to third parties to pick up the slack. Though the cost was pretty steep, until the G3 arrived, by which stage BUS speeds on newer machines made the old machines even less attractive to upgrade.

But alas, the "PPC ready" was a disaster, OS support was terrible, and the performance gain was abysmal... then along came the PB190/5300 debacle. :rolleyes:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I wonder if my ex-girlfriend from 1995-1998 or so had these discs. She'd often talk about how awesome her Mac was.

This was (in my opinion) Apple's dark age, which didn't lift until 2000 with the introduction of Mac OS X. So I'd just roll my eyes at her. And no, we broke up for unrelated reasons. But it would have been funny had it been "You didn't get a Mac! I can't see you anymore!"

Ahh, that silly flufftail...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.