Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:33 PM   #1
jason.siegel
macrumors 6502

Ripped Blu-Rays on External Drive Connected to Time Capsule, for AppleTV Play

I have about 250 GB worth of Blu-Ray movies (approx. 10 GB each) that I would like to store on an external hard drive, connected to my 1st generation Time Capsule (USB 2.0). Will this setup be fast enough to draw a movie from the drive to Time Capsule, send to my mid-2011 Air over Wi-fi, and then send back to my Time Capsule for play on Apple TV 3, connected by ethernet?

Thanks.
jason.siegel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:15 PM   #2
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.siegel View Post
I have about 250 GB worth of Blu-Ray movies (approx. 10 GB each) that I would like to store on an external hard drive, connected to my 1st generation Time Capsule (USB 2.0). Will this setup be fast enough to draw a movie from the drive to Time Capsule, send to my mid-2011 Air over Wi-fi, and then send back to my Time Capsule for play on Apple TV 3, connected by ethernet?

Thanks.
I don't remember if the 1st gen TC's were used the "n" protocol, but if they do, you should not have a problem depending on the distance the units are apart. I used a TC exactly like this. It was in the basement along with the aTV in the next room. My MBP is on the first floor. I used 100% wifi (except for the TC connected to the modem) and never had a problem.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:24 PM   #3
jason.siegel
macrumors 6502

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP9?view...S&locale=en_US
Quote:
Time Capsule 802.11n (1st Generation) - Technical Specifications
Thanks!
jason.siegel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater