Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soccrates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Laurel, MD
Last week I went to upgrade to Adobe CS6, and I was told I did not have enough space on my HD. SO I started investigating. I clean out every so often so I was surprised that I had a problem. I found OmniDiskSweeper and discovered that my .sparseimage file was 90gig. And since I undertstand that to be Filevault I proceeded to disable it. I got an external drive and offloaded some files and deleted as much as I could so that I could deactivate it and deencrypt my files. I was successful in getting that done.

Then to get rid of the 90Gig clogging my hd I decided to delete it which I did. So I have now disabled and deleted the Filevault (Legacy) app.

Unfortunately that has not relieved the congestion. I still have 127gig of "other" and I have calculated my own generated files combines with system files to be about 47gig. Right now I have 18gig free.

I have also lost my home folder: users/name.

I am downloading my files from Backblaze onto my external drive right now to reclaim the files before all of this happened but do not know if that will help.

I do not know a lot about computers so I see all sorts of files that I do not understand and do not want to mess with them and make a further errors. My computer is working fine and I can get done what I need to get done, but I know I have a problem to fix and do not know what I need to be doing.

Any insights or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Concept-

macrumors member
I recommend getting DaisyDisk or another application of that sort that indexes your Mac in an easy to view format. You can download the trial version online. Here's a screenshot of it working for me:

9iy2j8.png

Each of the colored blocks are listed on the side, with how much space they take up, so if I wanted to see how much space was in 'Users', I'd click on users and each of those colored blocks would represent a set amount of space on my hard drive.

Otherwise, you really won't know where that memory has gone. I also recommend going to each folder in your user library, where the caches are stored, and hitting CMD-I, opening up the Get Info screen. It'll tell you how much space each file is using, so you can see where your memory is going in that way also.

But an HD indexing app would be what I would use, and it's pretty straightforward, user friendly.

soccrates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Laurel, MD
Thanks you I will give it a shot.

jdiskreport also does this, and is free.

Thank you I will give it a shot.

----------

I recommend getting DaisyDisk or another application of that sort that indexes your Mac in an easy to view format. You can download the trial version online. Here's a screenshot of it working for me:

Each of the colored blocks are listed on the side, with how much space they take up, so if I wanted to see how much space was in 'Users', I'd click on users and each of those colored blocks would represent a set amount of space on my hard drive.

Otherwise, you really won't know where that memory has gone. I also recommend going to each folder in your user library, where the caches are stored, and hitting CMD-I, opening up the Get Info screen. It'll tell you how much space each file is using, so you can see where your memory is going in that way also.

But an HD indexing app would be what I would use, and it's pretty straightforward, user friendly.

I appreciate the tip and will investigate. Thanks.

soccrates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Laurel, MD
File Information

My system information on storage shows:
audio 4G
movies 2G
photos 1.7G
apps 4.9G
other 128.9
free 17.6G

My file scan
HD: 77G
volumes: 35.5 (flexdrive. 20G Backblaze download)
library 14.9G (7G app support, 2.5 audio, 2.2 printers)
users 9G (8.6G library of which 6.4G is app support, 1.2 mail and .5 caches)
lost and found 8G
system 5.2G

So I from what I can see, there is something going on that I do not understand. Does this make sense?

Thanks again for your help.

-Concept-

macrumors member
Sorry, something that I forgot to include is that sometimes the caches within the user library can get pretty big. Enable hidden files so that the computer can read them and then go ahead and run a scan. This works in Daisy Disk, never tried jdiskreport though so unsure in that realm.

soccrates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Laurel, MD
The Hidden Files

DaisyDisk revealed 90G of 501 trashes. I am not sure what that is. I did try to delete the .sparseimage file which is about the same size which I believe was the filevault app.

-Concept-

macrumors member
If you can, go into those 501 trashes and see whether or not it's related to filevault. If it is, you can probably delete all of it, but it would be safer to just reinstall and then find an uninstaller. That should take care of removing all of those files from your computer if they are in fact related to filevault.

If not, see what app they're related to and decide whether or not you want an app taking up that much space. If not, uninstall said app.

soccrates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Laurel, MD
Problem Solved

Problem has been solved and I have some great utilities should a problem occur in the future.

I greatly appreciate your help and hope you have a wonderful holiday season.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.