Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:25 PM   #1
soccrates
macrumors newbie

Hidden File Problem

Last week I went to upgrade to Adobe CS6, and I was told I did not have enough space on my HD. SO I started investigating. I clean out every so often so I was surprised that I had a problem. I found OmniDiskSweeper and discovered that my .sparseimage file was 90gig. And since I undertstand that to be Filevault I proceeded to disable it. I got an external drive and offloaded some files and deleted as much as I could so that I could deactivate it and deencrypt my files. I was successful in getting that done.

Then to get rid of the 90Gig clogging my hd I decided to delete it which I did. So I have now disabled and deleted the Filevault (Legacy) app.

Unfortunately that has not relieved the congestion. I still have 127gig of "other" and I have calculated my own generated files combines with system files to be about 47gig. Right now I have 18gig free.

I have also lost my home folder: users/name.

I am downloading my files from Backblaze onto my external drive right now to reclaim the files before all of this happened but do not know if that will help.

I do not know a lot about computers so I see all sorts of files that I do not understand and do not want to mess with them and make a further errors. My computer is working fine and I can get done what I need to get done, but I know I have a problem to fix and do not know what I need to be doing.

Any insights or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
soccrates is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help