Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:35 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Center for Digital Democracy Calls on FTC to Investigate SpongeBob App for COPPA Violations

As discovered by The Next Web, the Center for Digital Democracy today asked the FTC to investigate a children's game made by Nickelodeon and PlayFirst for deceptive marketing.

According to the advocacy group, SpongeBob Diner Dash violates the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. The game, which is aimed at kids, is an iPhone and iPad app that can be found in the "Kids Games" section of the App Store, and though it claims to comply with COPPA, the CDD says that it does not.
Quote:
The objective of the game is for children to help SpongeBob "seat, serve, and satisfy all kinds of fishy customers in five colorful Bikini Bottom restaurants," run by the greedy, selfish Mr. Krabs from the show. SpongeBob Diner Dash is a "freemium" game, which can be initially downloaded for free, but is designed to encourage users to buy virtual "coins" that can be spent on items such as shoes that make SpongeBob walk faster, or a frying pan that makes the food cook faster. Children are also prompted to spend more money to buy upgraded versions of the game.

The SpongeBob Diner Dash game asks children to provide a wide range of personal information, including full name, email address, and other online contact information, without providing notice to parents or obtaining prior parental consent, as required by the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. Nor does the app provide an adequate description of the personal information it collects or how it is used.
The filing, which asks that the Federal Trade Commission investigate how the offending app collects data, comes just a week after the FTC released a report on the privacy practices of apps aimed at children. Following the report, the FTC began a non-public investigation to discover if app developers that produce games for children are violating Federal law.

SpongeBob Diner Dash and SpongeBob Diner Dash Deluxe, the offending games, have currently been removed from the U.S. App Store.

Article Link: Center for Digital Democracy Calls on FTC to Investigate SpongeBob App for COPPA Violations
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:58 PM   #2
DrFu79
macrumors member

Those sneaky bastards. Well deserved to investigate this.

Last edited by DrFu79; Dec 18, 2012 at 05:10 PM.
DrFu79 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Yvan256
macrumors 601

"FTC to Investigate SpongeBob"

That part of the title wins "Funniest news title of the week".
Yvan256 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Frign
macrumors member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
(...), the Center for Digital Democracy today asked the FTC to investigate a children's game made by Nickelodeon and PlayFirst for deceptive marketing.
The link is broken; please mind the apostrophes. This is just another good example why you should never use special characters in links (@centerfordigitaldemocracy.org).

FRIGN.de
Frign is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:15 PM   #5
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Could be a lack of thought put into the game or they are phishing children on purpose. Either way they messed up big.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:39 PM   #6
OddyOh
macrumors regular

Scumbags...shut 'em down! On the other hand, isn't Spongebob just for college kids?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:48 PM   #7
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frign View Post
This is just another good example why you should never use special characters in links (@centerfordigitaldemocracy.org).
Exactly.

Should be fixed now...thanks!
WildCowboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Moshe1010
macrumors 6502a

Hello government. Stop regulating business and damaging the economy. Sincerely, SpongeBob and friends.
Moshe1010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:53 PM   #9
caligomez
macrumors regular

If they think that's the only one, they should investigate the My Little Pony game I downloaded for my daughter. I was surprised at how much personal info and social networking is required to play this game (supposedly for kids). Seriously.. What 7 yr old has a Facebook account??
caligomez is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Doctor Q
Administrator

Why is anybody surprised that there turned out to be something fishy about this app?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:55 PM   #11
skitzogreg
macrumors 6502

Major edit issues on the site.
iPhone 5 64GB
skitzogreg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:19 PM   #12
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

major is right
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:03 PM   #13
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligomez View Post
Seriously.. What 7 yr old has a Facebook account??
One of my school mates created one for her son, who won't be born for another two months. And yes she posts in 'his voice'. Barf
charlituna is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:38 AM   #14
Truffy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
One of my school mates created one for her son, who won't be born for another two months. And yes she posts in 'his voice'. Barf
That is truly sad.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:33 AM   #15
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligomez View Post
If they think that's the only one, they should investigate the My Little Pony game I downloaded for my daughter. I was surprised at how much personal info and social networking is required to play this game (supposedly for kids). Seriously.. What 7 yr old has a Facebook account??
There is some penguin game a 5 year old played on my phone and she effortlessly managed to buy add-ons using her full name and home address. I'm glad these apps are being looked into. Why does any game need all of that info?
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:26 AM   #16
mabhatter
macrumors 6502a

I think this needs screenshots (or it didn't happen?). I haven't used any apps that ask for outside information unless they needed external CC info, for buying items.

Facebook and social media is a no-brainier, but those have their own compliant privacy policies. Complaining about "log in" is childish.

Are these games making kids play online? If that is the case, then full name, and other verifiable information is REQUIRED so they can prove they are not connecting creepy adult TO minors. For LEO purposes almost every kid site HAS to have audit able information. Maybe somebody didn't do the proper "get your parent to fill out" wording.

I'd want screen shots in context before jumping to "ZOMG privacy violations".
mabhatter is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion