Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
I downloaded it, but despite the positive reviews, I think the App needs work. I live in Ann Arbor Michigan. I tested the app on two less than 20 mile local trips, while also having Apple's Map App going at the same time.

The app is not the easy to figure out how to use, the app forgot to give me turn by turn directions several times, it fails to auto correct a route appropriately, it doesn't integrate with contacts, doesn't work with Siri, and doesn't look as pretty.

Some of those problems aren't Google's fault (lack of working with Siri), but most are.

So even though I downloaded it, I will keep using Apple's own Map App and my Navigon App.

psalazarc

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2010
Chile
Though i'm a hardcore Apple fan, I have to admit Apple Maps are pretty bad in my country. I'd happily download GMaps, but it's not available in my store. While 10 Mil is a HUGE number, I bet it would be far bigger if the app was released worldwide (which iOS was), so I don't think it's a fair comparison.

Uhmm... I think I have a US account written somewhere....

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I downloaded it, but despite the positive reviews, I think the App needs work. I live in Ann Arbor Michigan. I tested the app on two less than 20 mile local trips, while also having Apple's Map App going at the same time.

The app is not the easy to figure out how to use, the app forgot to give me turn by turn directions several times, it fails to auto correct a route appropriately, it doesn't integrate with contacts, doesn't work with Siri, and doesn't look as pretty.

Some of those problems aren't Google's fault (lack of working with Siri), but most are.

So even though I downloaded it, I will keep using Apple's own Map App and my Navigon App.

Not being integrated with contacts or working with Siri isn't Google's programming omission. It's Apple's restriction. As you noted.

As for auto correcting your route - did the map app show that you had gone off course. Or was the GPS/signal not updated fast enough?

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Seriously?

So you're saying that 10M is not significant? Is that right? Really? Ok. Feel free.

There is no way to tell if it is significant without knowing how many people are actually using it. I downloaded it out of curiosity. I concluded my Navigon and Apple Map work better. So the app will sit unused on my Phone.

johnny5

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Really. 90% of my addresses are in my contact records and Google Maps does not support them. That is a big limitation for me. However, I do have more confidence in the Google POI database so for those 10% I may use it.
That is a feature that would be nice to have especially for someone in your situation and is surely coming soon.

It doesn't, however, really have anything to do with the UI design which is what I was referring to.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Apple makes the best hardware.
Apple makes the best end user OS, regardless of platform.
Apple has the best customer support.
And "the Google" makes the best map app for iOS.

I can live with that. :cool:

Define best hardware? There's faster out there, there's also more reliable hardware out there, theres also more reliable hardware out there thats faster.

Best user OS? Debatable.

Best Customer Support - Fair Enough

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I love how Google gave this away for free. They could have charged a dollar or two and made a small fortune, but did not. Probably because they didn't want Apple to profit off their mistake.
You realize that they give everything away. They only want your personal private data. It's like the bad man offering candy to children.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
There is no way to tell if it is significant without knowing how many people are actually using it. I downloaded it out of curiosity. I concluded my Navigon and Apple Map work better. So the app will sit unused on my Phone.

I never said anything about use. I said 10M downloads in 48 hours is impressive.

X number of people download lots of apps in the appstore only to never use them - that doesn't make the download count any less significant.

As for usage - that's another statistic/metric that hasn't been quantified nor may it ever be.

----------

You realize that they give everything away. They only want your personal private data. It's like the bad man offering candy to children.

Oh just stop this FUD.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Business 101. Before - Apple cut Google out and therefor Google had little to no "Apple" map business. Now they've reclaimed 10%. And that's just in 48 hours.

Going from 0 to 10% in 48 hours. How is that not a win?

10 million downloads does not translate to ten percent of the market. I assume lots of people, like myself, downloaded it out of curiosity. After testing it out and finding it lacking, I am not using it anymore. So, Google hasn't reclaimed me.

There is simply no way to determine (without Google sharing the data) how many people are actually using the product.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I love how Google gave this away for free. They could have charged a dollar or two and made a small fortune, but did not. Probably because they didn't want Apple to profit off their mistake.

Seriously doubt it. Made it free to ensure as many people download it as possible. Googles real money comes from its data collection & using its google services.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Not in regards to the Mac Pro at the moment.

Who makes a better Mac Pro than Apple right now?

----------

LOL. Very true. Google scans and tracks everything you do and offers you ads based on what it learns about you. The sad thing is the ads aren't really tailored to me because the interpretation of the data is wrong.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

The fact that it has a 4.5 star rating indicates that it is pretty significant.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
The number of iOS 6 downloads has likely increased quite a bit over the last three months, indicating that the majority of iOS users have chosen to stick with Apple's Maps application rather than switching to Google Maps, despite the rampant complaints about the quality of the built-in app.

I'm not sure if I am reading this wrong, or that it's just weirdly worded... How does downloading iOS 6 correlate in any way to "sticking with" Apple Maps vs. Google Maps? Downloading the former does not necessarily mean using the latter. Even prior to Google Maps, I (and a lot of others) refused to use Apple Maps. As an anecdote, what did it for me was Apple Maps directing me to residential neighborhoods when I wanted to find commercial businesses.

Google Maps is bliss.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
No. You can't determine that at all.

Sure - nor can one use the 10 million number to justify all this complaining about Apple Maps.....it's not a huge number relative to the number of users out there (or the number of complainers) just like the number of problems in Apple Maps is miniscule compared to the size/volume of data of the world's maps.

I find it fascinating that Google decided to release an app with all the things Apple originally wanted in the app, but were not allowed to add (turn-by-turn, vectors) due to Apple not wanting to give up more info....Apple bit the bullet, called Google's bluff and now Google, hurting because the iOS-user data pool is quite vast, offers all of that for free and hopes users will come back and send them more data.

All the more reason to continue using Apple Maps and sending them feedback - it was, is and always will be the only way Apple Maps improves/evolves (just like Google Maps). But, in the name of choice, I'm glad both are offered.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I wonder if the final version of 6.1 will have map improvements, but just haven't been put in the Betas. From the looks of it, we'll have to wait until iOS 7 for transit directions, etc. Sigh.

jonnymo5

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Texas
The data is much better but I don't think the app is that great. Can't even search for a contact to get directions to them on the map...

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
maps.google.com still can't find my house, so no point in downloading it and being a statistic.

I paid 135 people a dollar to submit a request to Google (business expense) to fix this issue. I have also been doing about 4 times a year since maps was released by Google. I'm hoping one day it gets fixed. I also hope when it does, other GPS systems get their data fixed as well.

Maybe I should send a certified letter to resolve this issue once and for all instead of telling customers that my location is about 15 houses further down than were it says.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Not being integrated with contacts or working with Siri isn't Google's programming omission. It's Apple's restriction. As you noted.

As for auto correcting your route - did the map app show that you had gone off course. Or was the GPS/signal not updated fast enough?

No, I believe the app did not show (or tell me) I went off course. Like I said, my girlfriend had her iPhone going at the same time, and it was autocorrecting fine.

The more annoying issue was that on more than one occasions, it just failed to tell me to make a turn. Had I not already known where I was going, I would have missed a highway exit.

I also didn't find it as helpful as Apple's Map App and my Navigon app in terms of the directions it gives. I will have to play with it more to pin point what I disliked, but from memory it didn't seem to give me as good of warning for up coming turns.

I am not knocking the Google App as I think it is great there is this free alternative for people. I, however, think based on my experience I prefer other options for what I use a GPS app for: namely giving me turn by turn driving directions.

stepshows

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
Goodness All Around

I'm just glad Apple approved it. But then again, did they really have a choice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.