Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thepiks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
When I first purchased my 2011 iMac, I also purchased the Thunderbolt display for a 2 screen setup. I was astonished at how much whiter the Thunderbolt display was than my 2011 iMac. It was the main reason I upgraded merely a year later. I sold my thunderbolt display and ordered the 2012 iMac. Today it arrived and I must say, I am extremely disappointed in the color. Now, my 2011 iMac makes the 2012 look brown! I couldn't even imagine the 2012 next to the thunderbolt, it would be unbearable.

I am looking for others that have the new 27" iMac and would like to see your screens. Here is a picture, my 2011 iMac on the left and the brand new 2012 iMac on the right. It looks even worse in person.

http://i.imgur.com/iH0Er.jpg

I'm taking this back, ASAP.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Since your using the same color profile, I'm guessing it could be yellow tinting..

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
If you want individual displays to match, you need to individually calibrate them with a proper sensor (Eye One or similar)

thepiks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Since your using the same color profile, I'm guessing it could be yellow tinting..

is this something that a can be fixed or something that a new iMac would not have? OR will this be the color of all new iMacs?

themcfly

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
i mean... why don't you just calibrate it with a color profile you like?

You are noticing that yellow tint only because you are comparing it to the old one. Just calibrate it towards a cooler white point and you're perfectly fine. Actually i think you are already perfectly fine the way it is now.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
is this something that a can be fixed or something that a new iMac would not have? OR will this be the color of all new iMacs?

The reason calibration tools exist is because no two panels will be the same. Just calibrate your new one with a colorimeter.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
anyone else having same problem with the screen?

The different screen coating may be the cause of this. It's also possible that the maximum brightness is lower to keep power consumption and heat down. I'm not sure, but this is most likely normal. Apple doesn't publish a lot in the way of tech specs. I think they used to publish maximum brightness, which is one of the few display tech specs that doesn't lie. I can't find one on this machine. If you saw the max brightness I use, you might think it's funny. The one on the right definitely looks a bit warmer, but I wouldn't use the left as a reference grade device. It's simply what you're used to today.

Well there's nothing you can do about brightness levels. Some people suggested calibration which is really just writing a new profile based on certain measured values to adjust the gains and gamut description. It can probably yield a slightly cooler white, although it wouldn't necessarily be any brighter.

Blkant

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
No, you're just being a nitpicker, potentially delusional. But you just conveniently shattered the screen so I guess it doesn't matter.

Exactly. With in a day the guy created an account, complained of its whiteness, of other color issues, you name it, and then when people requested images showed a seriously blurry photo of some apple monitors side by side with no indication of issues. Then, within that same time frame posts he shattered it.

Really...?

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Exactly. With in a day the guy created an account, complained of its whiteness, of other color issues, you name it, and then when people requested images showed a seriously blurry photo of some apple monitors side by side with no indication of issues. Then, within that same time frame posts he shattered it.

Really...?

But what would be the point? To point out he's not too bright? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.