Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Can my Air default to using my Airplay speakers? I have speakers attached to my Apple TV 3 and typically select them manually by clicking Option + Volume menu icon. When I'm in my apartment, however, there really isn't a time when I would prefer to use my internal speakers.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Go to "Audio MIDI Setup", right click on AirPlay and select "Use this device for sound output".

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Thanks! While I'm at it, is there a way to use both my Airplay speakers and my Air speakers simultaneously in all applications, like how iTunes allows me to do this?

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
One hiccup: Although it works, when I enable Airplay mirroring and then disable it when I'm done, audio switches back to my internal speakers.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Thanks! While I'm at it, is there a way to use both my Airplay speakers and my Air speakers simultaneously in all applications, like how iTunes allows me to do this?

Not natively I believe. Apps like Airfoil can do that, but I don't own it so I can't help you any further. Download it from the developers website and try it out, it's not free though.

One hiccup: Although it works, when I enable Airplay mirroring and then disable it when I'm done, audio switches back to my internal speakers.

Weird, I have no idea how to fix this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.