Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:51 PM   #1
iHavequestions
macrumors regular

Got got a Best Buy open box iPhone. How to check for defects?

They only had the white 64GB as a open box item. They haven't had a new one in 2 weeks in my area so I took a risk and bought it. It did cost $50 less plus their current $50 discount so not too shabby of a savings.

I checked cosmetically and quickly checked software and it seems to be fine. Is there anything I can check in greater detail to make sure nothing is wrong with it?
iHavequestions is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

If it looks good and works ok then you're fine.
If something doesnt work right then you can always bring it to Apple and have it exchanged.
You have a full 1 year warranty.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:18 PM   #3
iHavequestions
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
If it looks good and works ok then you're fine.
If something doesnt work right then you can always bring it to Apple and have it exchanged.
You have a full 1 year warranty.
Wow, then I got a good deal!
iHavequestions is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Thumbs up

No doubt.
Enjoy
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:35 PM   #5
yanki01
macrumors 65816

recently I've been seeing a lot of open boxed iPads in their cages at the store. they're all about $100 off retail with no damage of course. they let a friend inspect all of them before choosing which one he wanted. couldn't tell anything different on either.
yanki01 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:17 PM   #6
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

I too was watching the BB open box iPhones when they didn't have any available. Ended up biting on a 64gb white AT&T which is the only AT&T they had at the time. I like the white, so the color was fine. Best Buy even sweetened the deal and gave me the phone at the 16gb price plus 10% off for being open box. This brought the pre-trade & coupon total to 179.99. I then and an upgrade special coupon from reward zone for an additional $50 off, 129.99. Then I traded in my 32gb iPhone 4 which was in good condition for $150. With taxes on the phone, my total out the door came to $38 which also included two lighting usb cables I purchased separately. I am so happy with this purchase.

On a follow up, I did have some scratches on the shiny edge of the phone and a small scratch on the white glass on the back of the phone. The phone I purchased from Best Buy has since been exchanged for a perfect condition replacement from Apple due to some noted battery issues with the open box phone. The Apple genius assured me there wasn't any issue with the battery, but it was the iOS crash reports that caused the battery to drain and my replacement will most likely have the same issues until iOS 6.1 comes out addressing the crashes.

All in all, after nearly two months, I've had great experience with the iPhone 5 considering my out the door price was just $38.
mpayne2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone